First Antenatal class today - Question!

sarahk

Reaction score
Morning Mummy's!!!

Ive got my first antenatal class today, my other half cant make it. Do women uaually go alone or do you think I should take my Mum?? (she will also be at the birth)

Dont know why but I feel a bit nervous about it, first day at school!!! hehe

Depends really. What class is it? No men went to the BF'ing class I went to (one did but he ran for the hills when he saw no other men were there), but most women had their male partners with them for the labour/pain relief class.

Some women were on their own also, no one batted an eyelid. The MW paired up the people on their own when it came to a few practise things or stood in herself.

My OH only attended the one class. For the rest we didn't feel the need.

I'd not worry overly. Its mid week and lots of people have to work, so partners being there isn't a *must*.

I took my OH to one with me and he hated it- would have much preferred my mum there but I think she would have been bored because it's all quite obvious stuff!

There was quite a mix at my antenatal class- there was a lesbian couple, a single mum, a 2nd time mum, a foreign woman who just wanted to complain about the NHS :roll: and a couple of couples.

I wasn't brave enough to go on my own- bit pathetic really and I wish I had gone back alone because at the hospital tour I felt a bit isolated from all the 'in jokes' that had been made at the antenatal classes... :?

Debecca, before you comment, NO... I'm not in that 'IN CROWD' either... :shakehead:

There was a mix at my classes too, some women alone, some with partners, others with their mum or a friend.
Just do what you feel most comfortable with :D

inforabumpyride said:
I wasn't brave enough to go on my own- bit pathetic really and I wish I had gone back alone because at the hospital tour I felt a bit isolated from all the 'in jokes' that had been made at the antenatal classes... :?

Debecca, before you comment, NO... I'm not in that 'IN CROWD' either... :shakehead:

:shock: I feel like the class bully now :shock: still makes a change from the class geek... :rotfl:

As for the original question, our antenatal classes were the ones in the evening so EVERYONE was 20- or 30-something professional couples, it was weird. Because there were so many of us (30?) there weren't really any in-jokes and no bonding because you seemed to be meeting different people every week. It was only because of PF that I met Charliebeth in my antenatal class - her husband recognised me from my avatar!!

I don't think there's any problem with going on your own during the day though - I think as Sherlock says that most people do because partners will obviously be working etc.

The first time I went I was on my own (afternoon classes) and assumed most partners would be at work,,, well, I was the only one alone :cry: and at the end was interviewed by the woman running the classes as to what my partner was doing and whether he was supportive of not during my pregnancy!!! She was almost ready to send me the social services just because he didn't come on the first lesson :oops:
He then had to take some days off work to be able to come with me to the next two classes,,, but luckily he quite enjoyed it.

I posted about this last week because my OH couldn't make my first antenatal class and I felt nervous about going on my own. :(

My class was the brestfeeding one, unfortunately i was the only one on my own :oops: I didn't like it cos I felt left out but it wasn't as bad as I thought. One girl had her mum with her and everyone was ok with me..I didn't get any funny looks or anything.
The last class my OH came with me and I felt much better. :cheer:

I wouldn't miss the class tho cos you are worried about what others think...you'll be fine...I was and I'm dead shy!! or take your mum..that'd be ok too..no one thought anything about the girl at mine with her mum. :D
Hope you enjoy it chick :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back