Failure to dilate in labour...did anyone else have this?

katie05

Reaction score
Hi :wave:
Im asking as this happened to me with my 1st baby almost 2 years ago. After 32 hours in blummin agony i didnt dilate past 4cm but my midwife said my contractions were off the scale (just what i needed to hear :shock: )

Anyway im pregnant with no 2 and just feel that because of my reasons for my emergency section that i wouldnt beable to have a vbac.

Im interested to hear firstly if anyone else had this and anyone who went on to have another and whether it was a section or vbac.

:D :D

Hiya I'm gonna move this to "Ask a Mum" as more people might see it :)

I was induced at 12 days overdue...first prostin @ 8am on the friday and I ended up with a c section at 7pm the next night....

I didnt dilate past 3cm in the whole time, and even that was a guesstimate as no one could reach my cervix, it was so high and far back, each internal was pure agony :cry: (and I had 10 in all :talkhand: ). Fom the time I was taken to labour ward and monitored (at 10am saturday morning) the monitor showed I was contracting but I didnt really feel much

The decision was made that if at 7pm I wasnt at 4cm, then they would take me to theatre.

I was so relieved in the end, and I had a wonderful setion experience, I was just so relieved to finally have LO safely in my arms and I was awake and felt her being lifted from me, it was magical.

Good luck for VBAC, my sis in law had her seond daughter vaginally after a section, so the very best of luck to you xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

my mum had this with me and my sister, she only got to 4cm aswell, they also told her that hers was a genetic thing, im hoping they are wrong, i have made the hospital aware but they claim its nonsense!!!!

Thanks for the reply so far Zoe, :D if you were having another would you opt for a section again. I feel like id rather have the section again as going 9 days over again, labouring for that long and then a section would be just awful again. People think im mad though for not trying so wondered what you would do?x

I don't have any experience of this myself but a good friend of mine did. With her 4th baby she just didn't dilate past 4cm even after having 3 normal births before this. She ended up having an emergency c section. She then went on to have baby number 5 with no problems. She is now on number 6 but don't know the out come yet :D

TBH we dont plan on having any more....not for any reason other than I feel so blessed with Ruby and cant imagine at the moment wanting another child.....

If we do decide in the future, I would like to think I could have a vaginal birth, it must be an amazing experience so I would probably see if I could try for one....

I have such happy memories of my birth experience even it dragging on so long :roll: .

Forgot to add that 10 weeks before my section, my sis had an emergency section due to Olivia being prem @ 34 weeks and she had a really bad experience, and was very ill afterwards so I was terrified of the section option and the doctor on duty had performed my sisters section and was adamant I would have the baby naturally but even she said afterwards Ruby would never of been born naturally.

The only downer was the recovery-I got a nasty infection in my scar and ended up back at hozzie but soon picked up.

I would defo consider a section again tho, it wasnt at all scarey

I havent really answered that well have I??? :think: :rotfl:

I suppose to sum up, I would prob go section first but wouldnt rule out vaginal xxx

my sister had this with LO1 and had to have a casearean. LO2 was delivered normally and she dilated just fine :D the only problem she had was unrelated to this.

She says she would never have a casearean again unless absolutely necessary - she was out of hospital within a few hours and back to normal within a few days

i didnt dilate because rosie was stuck and her head was tilted back, it was the labour from hell and ended up in a emergency CS. I'm leaning very strongly towards an elective cesarian for the next one. I just dont think i can go thru the long labour just to end up having a cesarian anyway. I know the recover times for a CS are longer but its worse if your knackered from a long labour as well.

i didnt dilate past 5 cm as she was head tilted back and back to back and i was in agony for about 3 days before emergency c-section. I also wonder what i would do if we have another-not sure i could go through it all tht bad again with no sleep for 3 days then end ip with section anyway....

Me!!! I Had 56 Hours Of Absolute Bloody Agggggggony Because My Contractions Were Off The Scale But My Cervix Wouldnt Dialate More Than 3cm. Then Suddenly It Went To 9cm In 2 Hours. It Was an Extremely Painful, Long Labour & I Was Just a Wreck By The End. Its Interesting To Finally Hear Someone Else Has Been Through This :hug:

Edit To Add: I Ended Up Having To Have a Oxytocin Drip 47 Hours Into The Labour To Make The Contractions EVEN MORE PAINFUL In The Hope That My Cervix Would React More.

Can I Just Add, I Didnt Have a c-Section Tho. After All Them Hours In Bloody Labour I Pushed Her Out After 40 Mins Thankfully xx

i was having contractions on and off for a week but they kept stopping
and i was only dilated 1 cm when they eventually came back and didnt
stop i went to hospital and with full on contractions 3 mins apart
they said i was still only at 1-2 cm but they told me its because
i kept tensing up on each contraction and it was preventing me
dilating- once i started breathing through the contractions with the gas
and air, and tried (although its darn hard) to relax with them a bit more
i dilated superfast hayden was born 4 and a half hours later!
dunno if this helps or if theres a different medical reason that u werent
dilating- x

I also had an emergency c section through failure to dilate. I think I am leaning towards a c section with this one but I'm gonna see what my midwife thinks. I'd love to have a natural birth but the thought of going through all of that to have a c section again puts me off.

I was 8 days over due, waters broke 6 am sun , went into hospital 9 am mon to be induced. has a pessary and 6 hours later went onto the drip - until 9 am the next morning - had contractions all this time but still only dilated to 1 cm.... had an emergancy c.section - it was fab. I had a really positive expereice with it and no problems with recoevery afterwards... was up and about the next day.
not planning to have any more as I am nearly 42 now and we don't want to take the risk of their being problems.... but if I did have another I would definately go for a section........

I did! I had this with my first baby, now 7 yrs old. With second it was so quick I barely got to hospital, so don't worry about number two.

I had this problem with number three though, had to be induced by drip. Toby had the cord tightly round his neck and had his hand in it! We think that he couldn't fully engage cos he was all corded up, and therefore couldn't put the pressure needed on my cervix to make it dilate with contractions.

I had this with my first, she was back to back and I got to 5/6 cm and wouldn't go any further, I ended up on the drip and she was born by ventouse in the end.

This ones breech so I'm looking at a c-section this time :doh:

i had a section from failure to dilate as baby was back to back. im going for a vbac this time, and doing every thing i can to keep baby in the best position.

my consultant said even if u had a section the first time, you body is alot better prepared 2nd time and its alot easier. and he says i have 70% chance of a vbac.

fingers crossed, i just dont want to have to explain to a 2 year old they cant jump on mummy for a month or so. i had a terrible experience of a section as my wound ruptured and it was the most scary thing ever.

Haven't read the thread, but I had this. My waters broke at 9am Saturday morning & I finally got to 9cm at about 10am Sunday. By 4pm Sunday I still hadn't progressed, although my contractions were "coming thick & fast - they're really strong, too!" (thanks!, I hadn't realised.....)

By 5pm they decided that I might consider a c-section & I was finally wheeled into theatre at 9:30pm Sunday night after still not progressing any further.

For this pregnancy, I am deciding to go for a "trial of labour", so I can try to deliver naturally and see how I get on, otherwise it's another c-section...

I had this problem. I was stuck at 5cm and had to have my waters broken and be put on an oxytocin drips to speed things up. Was a long labour (24 hours) but worth every minute :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back