expressing queston

crackers24

Reaction score
I'm a new expresser and was just wondering about storage etc.
I think it'll be easier to just describe what i'm doing then someone can tell me if what i'm doing is ok or not.

I started expressing at 4pm. Could only manage 1oz so put the ebm in the fridge. I then used the same bottle and tried again at 7pm and managed 2oz. So, now i have a total of 3oz in the same bottle. I put it back in the fridge and then expressed again at 11pm and managed 6oz which was also in the same botte and then that was put in the fridge too.

Am i allowed to mix the ebm like that?
How long can i refridgerate this ebm?
Would i be able to freeze this mixed ebm at 11pm (when i had finished expressing for the day)?

I would be appreciate any advice on this issue.

Thanks in advance ladies.

xxx

Yes you can mix it. Yes you can freeze it at 11pm. 48 hrs in the fridge.

Personally due to the gap between the expressing, 7 hours from start to finish I'd remember that when you defrost it its shelf life is better to be on the short side.

I only used to keep eBM (that had not been frozen) for 48 hours in the fridge. So if I expressed part at 10 and part at 6pm I would always cound the 48 hours as starting from 10am to be on the safe side.

if you day suits it might be best to try adn express in the morning, i alwasy produce three tonnes in the morning, but in the evening more like three drops.

and of course (i often forget this), try to store in the back of the fridge not the door.

Sandi

Just one question. Are you expressing into the bottle while the milk is still in the bottle frrm thr previous expressing session?

The reason I ask is that its not safe to add warm milk to previously chilled milk as it can cause curdling and a tummy upset.

The best thing to do would be to store the milk in a separate bottle then when you have some more milk to add cool this first before adding to the previously expressed milk.

Charlie:-) said:
Just one question. Are you expressing into the bottle while the milk is still in the bottle frrm thr previous expressing session?

oooops, i'm doing exactly that. I'd better stop then. :? Thanks for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back