Essential oils

Merfairy

Reaction score
Hi all, my midwife told me not to use essential oils; which I have avoided until I used a body wash with Ylang Ylang in it last night.. thinking I would be safe.. anyone think I should be concerned.. it was a cheap body wash not an expensive one..?

Checked baby heart beat afterwards... all was ok, but I am a little worried I guess.. xx

i havent a clue about this, but im not going to use any now . . . i hadnt yet anyway but was planning on getting some lavender oil for the bath! never mind!!!

Hey hun - Please do not panic - body washes or bubble baths for that matter do not usually have essential oils in them - just smells :) They are perfectly safe.

I have been using essential oils throught my pregnancy as I make my own blends of massage oils etc - mostly I just stuck with lavander tho.

There are some essential oils that pregnant women should avoid which is why your midwife is giving you this information. xx

Last edited:
Emerald.. that was very useful, thankyou.. Ylang Ylang isn't on there.. lol.. marvellous... will print it of I think xx

I would have thought it was just pure ones , and even then just certain ones that should be avoided ?

Ylang Ylang is safe to use during pregnancy.....

It is mostly the herby type ones that are to be avoided....

I'm a beauty therapist and so had to go on a course about use of essential oils in pregnancy, and lavender is actually practically the only one that is safe lol. I mean there are others but in my opinion not very relaxing scents. As long as your oil isn't concentrated more than 40% you should be fine i.e body wash would be very expensive if it had 40% essential oil. Just be careful inhaling and not rubbing deeply into skin like in massage x

Thanks Miss Savvy xx

Last edited:
Tea tree & lavender are 100% safe & are the only 2 that can be used neat too. I found that a couple of drops of these in the bath are relaxing & i've been dabbing tea tree on my spots to dry them out. I love the smell of tea tree & craved it during my last pregnancy too. Find myself just sniffing at the bottle all the time - lol.
Most of the oils to be avoided are the herb based ones such as clove, basil etc & a lot of citrus ones you have to be careful with too x

Sunnyb xxx

Are bath salts ok?? I've just used the radox muscle soak one and relaxed for ages in there! It was lush but didn't think anything of it until u said certain things can't be used!! Any ideas?? Xx

Bath salts are fine, I used them during my first pregnancy to help with aching muscles. Most bath salts, bubble baths etc do not have real essential oils, but use fragrance instead. So you go & enjoy your bath hun.

Sunnyb xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back