Epidurals and 'Top Ups'

Jaidy

Reaction score
How many times can an epidural be topped up? Does any one know if there is a limit?

And has continual top ups ever given any one any side effects e.g. made them 'out of it' or anything??

I was just thinking if I have a long labour and need an epidural for many hours, whether they had to stop topping you up?

Ta for any info!

top ups won't make you feel out of it as the epidural only goes into your back.... so can't make you feel spaced out only numb... some people have epidurals in for weeks/months (but not for pregnancy these are people who have had surgery etc and need pain relief.) what they do then is attache the epidural to a drip which continuously goes into your back..

So the answer is epidurals can be topped up as manay times as needed..

Yes thinking about it, it doesnt go all round your body does it??

Do people really have them in for days?? That must be great for big ops

I least I wont have to worry about them saying 'You've had enough' now!

We used to use them alot for people who had has bowel surgery and yes one guy had had his in for nearly 3 weeks... they do have to be changed after a certain time period so that you don't build up an infection but this is after a few days so nothing to worry about when used for pregnancy...... :lol:

Thanks Lyns this has reassured me loads :D

Definetly recommend an epidural, I really enjoyed my labour :D :D

Eveadel said:

omg seriously? i had an epidural but i was so nakered by the time he arrived bless him i h8ed every second of labour but ask me would i do it again, oh yes i would and i cant wait, although i h8ed it there is something about it that makes you want to do it again, i think its the feeling of relief as soon as your baby is out not to mention how truly amazing and beautifull it is seeing your baby for the first time, unbelievable, u never believe it when you get told the pain is over straight away but its all gone and youve got the most precious beautifull little person lieing in your arms ... amazing

i think next time il opt for a mobile epidural...i dont think there is a limit to how many times epis can be topped up though?

Eveadel said:

Really hun? What made the experience good for you? How many cm were you when you had it?

Hi Jade

I had been told at 23 weeks that my DD may arrive as I had an incompetent cervix so when I did actually go into labour at 37 weeks (thank god) I was 7cm when I arrived at the hospital after being in labour for 2 hours, I had the epidural about 1 hour after arriving and for me my labour was so mellow, i was just sleeping on and off and it was very very calm. I did listen to hynotherapy cds to help relax me in labour and that is definetly what it did. To me labour was the easiest part as had crap pregnancy and found it abit hard after Isabella was born - it is all worth it though.

How exciting for you, not long :D :D :D

Did you find it hard after she was born, as in straight after the birth?

Or like as she was growing?

Sounds like you had a brill experience, did you have any pain pushing with the epidural?

Hiya Jade

It was the adjustment to being a mother I found hard, although I loved/love her to bits (postnatal depression), she is quite a demanding baby.

No didnt have any pain at all once had the epidural. The contractions prior to this were Id say very comfortable not painful as others may describe. I breathed my way through the contractions, very mind over matter (really hard to describe) no screaming or freaking out. Every contraction meant one less and one nearer to meeting Isabella. I had the urge to push but with no pain - excellent dont you think.

Yeah it sounds awesome :cheer: What made you decide to go for the epidural, cos the pain was getting too much or just wanted some calm?

Did you feel unwell at all after the birth?

PND is a hard thing to deal with, I have a history of depression and am kinda dreading it but I think il be watched carefully because of my history.

How are you finding motherhood now? I bet your a fab mummy :hug:

Hiya Jade

Abit of a long story but Ive suffered with anxiety/depression for years and I was terrified about the idea of giving birth, after a couple of meetings with my consultant he agreed to an elective caesar. Well as it happens you know the rest of my birth story and it would of been silly to go ahead with a c section being 7cm dilated. I always said I would have an epidural, I didnt like the fact of getting off my head on the gas n air or pethidine as it is like a narcotic and also can affect the baby. I didnt feel unwell at all after the birth, I was up and having a wee & bath within about 40 minutes.

I have adapted to be a mummy now although Im always doubting whether Im a good mother (in my heart of hearts I know Im fine)

Have you wrote out your birth plan????

You sound just like me!!

I was exactly the same. I went to the consultant last Friday contemplating a C Sec but then the consultant says if I have an early epidural I will be fine (his famous last words!) I also suffer from anxiety and depression you see, have done since I was 13.

This is why ive been so interested in hearing your story of the epidural. Ive been told im not allowed any narcotics too (no pethadine or g&a) so thats why im hoping the epidural will relieve all pain so im not panicky and struggling to cope; especially when its time to push as il have no other form of pain relief!

The consultant wrote my birth plan for me!!

Sounds like your consultant is one of the good guys Jade!!

Good Luck for everything!!

Hiya Jade

Sorry I havent replied sooner.

I dont know about you but I created such an image in my mind about things that may happen when Im in labour that when I did go into labour I thought it was the easy part. Honestly, Im sure you will be fine and the epidural was definetly for me the thing that made such a miraculous event very enjoyable. Ive never I would do it naturally so wasnt disappointed with how it went.

Please keep me posted with how things go and if you want to email me privately then I will be here for you.

Thank you so much hun for your support and all your information!

I do appreciate it :hug:

Il definately let you know how it goes :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back