Bf top ups.

l_maclean

Reaction score
Cos Georgia's still not fully got the hang of the bf, the mw recommended that I put her on boob then add to it with expressed so she starts to associate boob and full tummy.

Last night she went on and had 40ish mls and slept after it.

This morning we got a top up of about an ounce was fine

Just had an 1.5oz top up, then threw up in grandpa after.

Sorry for all details, obviously dunno how much she takes from boob but wondered if anyone else had done top ups and how much?? Hopefully these will reduce though, just wondering.

Xxx
Xxx

How much does she weigh? A general rule of thumb is half their weight in ozs, but as she's very new she may not be taking that much yet. F is sick/possets after most feeds so I'm sure your little one will only take what she needs Xx can't you just keep her on the boob so she takes what she needs then? Sorry if that's no help!

Does she top up with your milk? Tbh I'm not experienced as I just fed all day and night if he needed it.

Yeah, tops up with mine, she's not taking boob very easily, and mw was concerned over lack of nappies, hence the tops ups.

Strange one have u got a bf group near by?? Might be worth a chat with them?

Hey! I am having a similar problem... My milk supply has been slow coming in (my doc actually gave me a prescription to help it come in and seems to be working), and my LO was feeding constantly the first few days but losing too much weight. I was advised to top up with formula until I have enough milk to satisfy her. We started off topping her up with 20ml, but had to increase to 2-3oz as she gained weight and needed more. The last couple of days we haven't had to top her up after every feed.... Sometimes she vomits after we top her up though and I'm not sure if that is bcause we are over feeding her. I told the doc this and he said over feeding is better than under feeding. I'm not sure if any of this helps, but hope you and your little one are doing well! Xx

Seems to be her latch is the problem. im sure the only reason shes getttin anything from me is cos its literally pourng out and shes licking it off.

dunno if thats just when she's frustrated though.

currently sitting hooked up to the pump at 6am!!

xxx

Hi :wave: My LO had trouble latching coz of tongue-tie and also coz of what he went through during the labour was a bit out of hit. He lost over 10% his birth weight in a few days and I really wanted to give up and bottle feed, but some sent the BF support group my direction and they got us sorted out within 24 hours! And arranged for his tongue tie to be sorted after 7 days (the hospital he was born in wanted to wait til he was almost 3 months :wall2:)

Sorry, no advice lol, just get in touch with BF support, they are amazing, they will be able to help you 100%.

xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back