Entertaining LO on Long Journey's

Daniel's Mummy

Reaction score
Daniel has started to be a pain when we go on long journey's which is understandable as I hate sitting still too!

I was wondering if a portable DVD player that fits onto the back of the front headrest would be a good idea? He doesn't watch much TV but if I need to get something done he will sit and watch his Sing & Sign DVD and In the Night Garden.

Do any of you have them? Are they any good? Can you recommend a particular one?

There is only so much you can sing songs before you go mad!

UPDATE - Well we got one in time for our holiday (got back today). Thank goodness is all I can say. A 3 hour journey became a 5 1/2 hour journey today and it was completely stress free (well from LO's point of view anyway). It was well worth the money. We set off just in time for his afternoon nap so he slept for 1 1/2, had a snack and did some songs and animal noises then we got stuck in a traffic jam and put his DVD player on and it kept him happy for the rest of the journey. We will only be using it on long journey's so it's a novelty but I would highly recommend getting one to anyone. Can you tell I like it??!!!! :dance:

This is something we're thinking of doing so i'd be interested in replies :)

Hmm difficult one. I am not a fan of in car DVD players tbh so can't recommened one.

Other possible suggestions though :)

I got a great art box thing that has a plastic cover so a colouring book can rest on it clipped in place. And crayons etc stored inside. Children I looked after, the youngest used to use that for ages when in the car.

Also got story CD's. Kids loved listening to Revolting Rhymes and so on. Maybe something for his age would be worth a shot? Cheaper than an in car DVD player.

If you get the car dvd, I recommend the Baby Einstein DVDs. They keep babies & toddlers mesmerised! Educational and fun!

Thanks Minxie. I'll definately give them a try. He absolutely loves his Sing & Sign DVD and can do loads of the signs already.

Thanks for your ideas Sherlock - I think Daniel needs to be a bit older for artwork unsupervised (as I'm driving) as he eats the wax crayons :rotfl:

We had a similar train of thought about the dvd player, but in the end decided not to waste the money when we have a perfectly good laptop that will play dvds :think: We did it so that me or OH would sit in the back of the car with him, then we could play a dvd or music cd if he wanted, but also could play some games with him or just let him type on the keyboard...he loves that! Saved us on the expense but got more activities out of it!! I realise you may not have a laptop, but its worth considering if you do, or can borrow one? :think: :hug:

we got one we put it on when he gets bored and it does keep luke entertained, we only use it for long journeys so it is a novelty but i would rrecommend it definitely. we have in the night garden dvds and thomas and the magic railroad, trying to find a singing or musical one as he loves this on cbeebies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back