Drop the late/night evening feed?

Hi, bit of advice please if I may :D

Damien's routine isn't exactly set. We have a rough routine of waking up between 6 and 8am for first feed, then normally into bed with me till 10 or 11 (I need my sleep!) and he snoozes too. Then feeding every 3-5 hours throughout the day and one veg meal, and a fruit or youghurt with his milk before bed. He currently goes to bed somewhere between 7-10pm (depends when he gets sleepy) and still has a bottle at about 11pm-ish (which I get him up for).

Do you think it is about time to drop his feed at 11pm and try and cram more feeds into the day? He is 4.5 months old nearly (3 corrected) and feel he could probably do without this feed now, especially as he is having solids, but am not quite brave enough to skip it as OH gets up early and is a right miserable sod if Damien wakes him before 6am :roll:

Should I just bite the bullet and go for it and drop the feed and increase day feeds to every 3 hours instead?

What are your experiences.

I know we have ALOT of posts on routines already - sorry! :wall:

does he wake up over night between the 11pm feed and 6-8am?

if he doesnt then i would drop the dream feed but not give him anything extra in the days, you will soon know if he needs more by him waking you up in the night, then you can give him more in the day.

no point in craming more soilds in to him in the day time if he doesnt need it :)

i dropped Coby's dream feed a while ago, he still slept through, he recently started waking in teh nights so now i know its time for more soilds.

hope this helps hun

xxxx

He does wake up when it starts getting light, more for reassurance than food though. x

How much is he taking at this feed? I dropped Mel's 11pm feed about 9 days ago after reducing it first from 8oz to 4oz (he woke the same time just took more in the morning) and then 2oz and it made no difference to waking and then just dropped it. I kept a couple of ozs made up in the fridge every night for a week just in case but so far so good. I kind of knew he didn't need it though as I was offering him 8oz first thing in the morning and he'd only take 3 or 4 ozs so he was in no way waking through raging hunger. Now he takes about 7 of the 8oz.

Hope this helps
+++

Do you feed him just before he goes to bed????

I dropped kacy dream feed a month ago she just gets feed before she goes to bed instead and she sleeps from 7.30 8ish till 9 maybe 10 some times earlier.

He is fed before he goes to bed at 7 or 8ish, then fed again at 11 when i get him out of his cot. he half wakes up for this though. hoping he doesnt wake tonight but we shall see! wish me luck!

(Oh - he takes between 4 and 7oz's at this feed)

Well last night he went to bed after eastenders, didnt have an 11pm feed, and woke at 6am!!! success! :clap: :dance:
Long may it continue!!! :pray:

Wow, well done Damien! hopefully I can start doing this soon as well!

Might wait until Samuel is 16 weeks and go for it one night!

I'll let you know!

It's definately wortha go - just make sure you have a bottle ready to go incase they wake up in the middle of thenight, that was all I did, but 6am came and it was a complete surprise! :D

I have just read this thread and sorry if I sound a bit ignorant, but why would it be a problem to drop the middle night feed before Lo has reached 3 or 4 months old?
Maheen was on 6 feeds per day and one night she just did not wake up for the 01:30 am feed, so neither did I! and since then, it's been like this, so now she is on 5 feeds/day, approx.3 or 4 hours apart. I have increased the quantity a bit, but nothing that she struggles to drink, and she isn't asking for more. so I just assumes it was alright! :?
Should I still feed her during the night though she does not seem to want it?
Mel xx

Not at all, what's the point of waking a sleeping baby who obviously isn't hungry? Rubie goes to bed between 7:30 and 8:00 and wakes between 5:00 and 7:30. She has 4 (massive) feeds in the day and is perfectly happy. She would let me know if she was hungry and is gaining weight so I don't see a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back