Do your men take folic acid too?

Feanor

Reaction score
Hi,

I was reading yesterday that folic acid is really good for men's sperm as well as an all round health bonus. Is it common for men to take it as well? Do any of your OH's?

I did suggest it to my OH but he thought I was bonkers and said 'Dont worry, my sperm will already be perfect' ! lol men!

Feanor x

Mine takes zinc and vitamin c :)

I've had him taking multi-vits with zinc since about Easter, most multi vits contain folic acid anyway, but have no idea if it benefits!

Flaxseed oil's also very good for a man's sperm count too. My oh doesn't take anything tho.

I spoke to G about this to see if he could remember his test results.
The first swimmers test he had was normal, nothing special. And the second lot was after i'd told him about folic acid etc and the results were better. I can't remember the figures though. Obv thats not scientific proof as such, but it made a difference within 6 months for him.
xx

Jaded Diamond said:
I spoke to G about this to see if he could remember his test results.
The first swimmers test he had was normal, nothing special. And the second lot was after i'd told him about folic acid etc and the results were better. I can't remember the figures though. Obv thats not scientific proof as such, but it made a difference within 6 months for him.
xx
how long were you trying for altogether if you don't mind me asking - tell me to get lost if you don't want to tell me.

In total we've been trying for about 3 years. We've had several miscarriages in that time, and for the last 2 years since the last miscarriage we've not been trying but not preventing. And earlier this year i put him back on the tablets as we were starting to get desperate again. They increased his sex drive aswell, which was a bonus lol.
xx

I just told my OH that it might help to take folic acid and zinc (he hates tablets, can't swallow them well) and he said OK, i just need to go buy them.....! Bless him! :)

Sanatogen pronatal now do his and hers tablets :) I have been thinking about getting some when he runs out of Zinc :think: not sure yet.

I never knew about the Sanatogen tablets for men, think i will def get some for him this weekend. thanks.

What is the purpose of zinc - I have warned my oh he will be taking tablets soon he said whatever it takes to get pregnant - good man :clap:

Got my preseed to so if BFN this month I am raring to go next :cheer:

I found this online:

Zinc is the most widely studied nutrient in terms of fertility for both men and women. It is an essential component of genetic material and a zinc deficiency can cause chromosome changes in either you or our partner, leading to reduced fertility and an increased risk of miscarriage. Zinc is necessary for your body to 'attract and hold' (utilise efficiently) the reproductive hormones, oestrogen and progesterone.
And it's equally important for your partner: zinc is found in high concentrations in the sperm. Zinc is needed to make the outer layer and tail of the sperm and is, therefore, essential for the health of your partner's sperm and, subsequently, your baby. Interestingly, several studies have also shown that reducing zinc in a man's diet will also reduce his sperm count.

Vitamin C is also an antioxidant, and studies show that vitamin C enhances sperm quality, protecting sperm and the DNA within it from damage. Some research has indicated that certain types of DNA damage in the sperm can make it difficult to conceive in the first place, or it can cause an increased risk of miscarriage if conception does take place. If DNA is damaged, there may be a chromosomal problem in the baby, should the pregnancy proceed. Whether or not DNA damage does have these effects has not been conclusively proven, but it's worth taking vitamin C and the other antioxidants as a precautionary measure.
Vitamin C also appears to keep the sperm from clumping together, making them more motile.
One study has shown that women taking the drug clomiphene to stimulate ovulation will have a better chance of ovulating if vitamin C is taken alongside the drug. Clomiphene does not always work in every woman, but the chances are often increased when vitamin C is supplemented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back