• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do you need a moses basket, crib and cot?!

Alicebabe

Reaction score
I plan on having the baby in our room sleeping in a moses basket and we have bought a cot bed for the nursery (which wont fit in our room) but everyone says the baby will outgrow the moses basket in a few weeks so where is it going to sleep after this?! I am assuming I'm going to have to buy a crib for the period before its big enough to go in its own room in the cot?

What did all of you do?

I used a moses basket up until about 3 and a half months then he went into his cot in our room. He doesn't have his own room :(

I didn't see the point of a crib as they are only slightly bigger than the moses basket.

i ended up with all 3 he was in the moses basket for about a month then into the crib untill last month when he went into the cot,
next time im not going to bother with the moses basket as they do outgrow them very quick, but i wouldnt bother buying a crib if youv e got a moses basket if that makes sence
xx

We had a moses basket for our room and a cotbed for when she is older and sleeps in her own room.

However the moses basket was no good as Calleigh hated it, so we bought a travel cot to put in our room as the cotbed would have not fitted comfortably.

Becky is silly long so outgrew her Moses basket fairly early. We can't fit the cot in our room either. Luckily one of OH's workmates gave us a crib so that was problem solved. If I was to do it again I'd have the crib over the moses basket, especially since I'm in denial about having to move her into her own room!

So going straight into a crib seems the best bet? But where do you keep the baby during the day if you dont have a basket? Seems like a strange question I'm sure but where would it sleep if you have it downstairs during the day - I mean when your not holding it and feeding it etc and its too small for the gym mat? The bouncy chair? Help! :oops:

We have a playpen in the living room she slept in during the day when she was smaller - now she just tends to sleep where she's crashed, usually the couch! :lol: I wasn't up for having a playpen at all but they are very common in Holland where OH comes from and we got given one. It doesn't see much use any more but it was great for naps etc when she was smaller

I going to have this problem!
With the others I had a crib, they were in that till 6 months then into their cot in their own room!
This time I got a moses basket and have decided to get a travel cot with a basinette for when she has grown out of the moses basket (as the travel cot will fit in our room then put her in her own room at 6 months!

So going straight into a crib seems the best bet? But where do you keep the baby during the day if you dont have a basket? Seems like a strange question I'm sure but where would it sleep if you have it downstairs during the day - I mean when your not holding it and feeding it etc and its too small for the gym mat? The bouncy chair? Help!
When my others were babies they would go in their prams while in the living room and their crib while in the bedroom!

I was going to get a crib bt I didn't because a friend lent me a moses basket. I will definately get a moses basket for the next one too as they are do portable and meant she could sleep wherever we were. She went in her own room by 5 weeks and we all sleep better. Her room is across the hall from ours and I can see her in her cot when I am lying in bed. Also we have a monitor with a sensor mat and the parent unit flashes every time she breathes so we can check on her without getting out of bed :) She would not have got much use of a crib - at 4 and a half months there's no way she'd fit now as she has her arms out to the side when she sleeps!

Straight to a cotbed from a moses basket. although it was a bit difficult to reach him at first as it was very low! I ended up putting him over two mattresses which did the trick :wink:

DD was in a moses basket to start with then we put her into her cot in our room. When she was downstairs she slept in her rocker chair which you could lay flat but after a while (3 months +) I started to put her to sleep upstairs in the cot.

Last edited:
I had all 3 but they were all given or lent to us - I don't think I would have bought all 3. He was in the moses basket until about 3 months, then went in the crib until about 4 1/2 months. Then he had to go into his own room because the cot doesn't fit in our room.

I used the top carrycot bit of my pram with my son so didn't bother with a moses basket. Then he went into a crib that my Dad had made him n then into a cot. This time round we've been given a moses basket and we've been lent a gorgeous rocking crib and then my friend is giving us a travel cot and a cot/bed so am gonna be using all three lol :) i wouldn't ave gone out and bought all three though.. had we not been gifted these things i was gonna get a travel cot with a basinette in cos i think they are fab :D

We had all 3, simply because i really wanted a swinging crib, and a full blown cot wouldnt fit in our room. My sister bought her moses basket, we keep the moses basket downstairs for her daytime naps. we bought the swingin crib for our room and her cotbed in in her room ready for her moving in there

I got given a moses basket which she used til almost 4 months. Then i bought a travel cot for our room. She has a cot in her room ready so when she moves the travel cot will be used downstairs as a playpen.

I bought a moses and a cotbed...

she has used the cotbed 4 times... and the moses basket for 2 weeks...

besides that she has co slept (easier for night feeds..)

went thru a stage of trying to get her into her cotbed after her night feed.. but she was having NONE of it...

so to be fair they were pretty much a waste of money .. and space... ! lol (thankfully the cotbed was a gift..)

dont think she'll ever get out of my bed now lol :roll:

Alicebabe said:
So going straight into a crib seems the best bet? But where do you keep the baby during the day if you dont have a basket? Seems like a strange question I'm sure but where would it sleep if you have it downstairs during the day - I mean when your not holding it and feeding it etc and its too small for the gym mat? The bouncy chair? Help! :oops:

during the day he would sleep on a pillow on the sofa or in the carrycot bit of the pram
he has on just started being in his cot for day naps :)
xx

Evie's in a moses basket because her cot won't fit in my room either and there's nowhere else to put it! (Eeeek! That's something I'm going to have to sort out before she outgrows the moses basket!).

Anyway, she was a diddy baby so I'd say she has a while to go before she outgrows it!

xx

we have all three. We only had a crib and a cot for Seren, she would sleep in the crib till she could sit up (she would have grown out of a moses basket in 2 months), and downstairs she slept in her chair (it reclines right back flat). However I was worried that Seren would disturb Cally when she slept downstairs so we got a moses basket for downstairs and the crib for upstairs. Cally outgrew the basket very quickly and now sleeps in the chair.

i just bought the portland crib from mothercare... apparently that will do till she's 6 months.
didn't bother with the moses basket as i hate wicker and the smell of it!

hopefully by 6 months :pray: we will have our own place with a nice cosy bedroom for our little madam then ill put her in there in her cot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatema53
Back