Do you haggle?

mum2A&L

Reaction score
Im currently playing two companies off against each other - Im trying to get a free rain cover from one (its already a lot cheaper than other companies, so i can't try and get it any cheaper), and im trying to get another one to drop their price by £130 (by getting them to price match the other company)!!! :wink:

The one that offers me the best deal, gets my business!!!!

Am i the only person who haggles? I don't expect something for nothing, but im terrible for asking what they can do to sweeten the deal.

My next haggling is going to be a couple of free bottles of wine on our table when i get around to sorting out our wedding breakfast! Least they can do seeing as we are able to pay for a good chunk of the bill up front & be able to tell them what we want to order before hand!!! :wink:

Whats the best deal you have got when trying your luck?

i always do.

my best deal was getting our sky HD box with installation for £90 last year. it was supposed to £150 + £50 installation. i also managed to get out of paying the monthly £10 for HD channels :cheer:

if you don't ask :wink:

I always say if you dont ask you dont get, I got 75 quid off the rent of the palce im in now. Not a lot but if you add it up over the year iv been here its a fair bit of rent that iv not had to pay.

I also got a pack of sleep suits in Mataland for a £1 because there were 1missing. £1 for 2 prfectly good sleepsuits is a bargain.

bonny said:
I got 75 quid off the rent of the palce im in now. Not a lot but if you add it up over the year iv been here its a fair bit of rent that iv not had to pay.

you made me remember - i haggled £50 off my monthly rent :lol:

I work as a buyer, so haggling is part of my job, so I try it in my free time, too :)

widowwadman said:
I work as a buyer, so haggling is part of my job, so I try it in my free time, too :)

Snap!!! Well I was a buyer when I was still working, but I still do thr haggling as Brian is useless at it... if something comes to £202.46 for example, he is like "£200 for cash?" woooohoooo saving a whole £2.46 :clap: :roll: :lol: I would have got it down to at least £175, if not less!! :lol:

Nope Im as useless as Sarah H's Brian :lol:

I have paid thousands over the past year for doing up the house all cash and most at a reasonable quote but didnt ask for knocking any off... not unless getting the roofer to knock the VAT off our £5000 new roof coz that was my budget and the only way we could afford it. :wink: only downside is that it didnt go through the books so I have no formal proof of when it was done if I sell :?

I'm rubbish but Mike is excellent and gets money off practically everything we buy. His best haggle - our house, (which should be finalised next week :cheer:)

I do. On ebay if there is a "best offer" I will try my luck. Selling our house at the moment so when we buy the next I will be offering stupidly low prices as not that bothered about where we live. If buying things I always ask if that's the cash price.

I got a top in new look for half price as it was missing the belt. There was another one on the shelf with the belt but the belt was crap and I would have binned it anyway so I hid the one with the belt on the sale rail and asked If I could get money off the one I was buying.

I always haggle
i had problems with setanta when we was going to watch calzaghe boxing it went off!!!
I rang up the next day fumin asking why I bother paying £12.99 pm for that to happen and i wanted to cancel. they asked me what id be prepared to pay pm and i got it for £1 pm wooohoooooo

SarahH said:
widowwadman said:

Snap!!! Well I was a buyer when I was still working, but I still do thr haggling as Brian is useless at it... if something comes to £202.46 for example, he is like "£200 for cash?" woooohoooo saving a whole £2.46 :clap: :roll: :lol:

That is useless, although my bloke never tries in the first place because he gets embarassed.

Did you do CIPS qualifications and if so how did you find it?

SarahH said:
widowwadman said:

Snap!!! Well I was a buyer when I was still working, but I still do thr haggling as Brian is useless at it... if something comes to £202.46 for example, he is like "£200 for cash?" woooohoooo saving a whole £2.46 :clap: :roll: :lol: I would have got it down to at least £175, if not less!! :lol:

Go you Sarah! :dance:

Wish I had the balls pmsl :clap: :?

im useless at haggling so i dont even bother anymore!

i did get 50 quid off our monthly rent though but thats as far as it goes im a wimp :lol:

I'm a bit of a opposite! Because I work in a shop I always convince people to spend more lol! I don't force them too but if some comes in wanting £20 bouquet I will always say oooo we have a lovely one here but its £25! And if you talk nice, people usually do it and if they like it I get tipped as well lol! There is some good things about looking 12!!!!

nickilubs said:
I'm a bit of a opposite! Because I work in a shop I always convince people to spend more lol! I don't force them too but if some comes in wanting £20 bouquet I will always say oooo we have a lovely one here but its £25! And if you talk nice, people usually do it and if they like it I get tipped as well lol! There is some good things about looking 12!!!!

Bless!

I'm a bit of both. I tend to be embarrassed when my mum or my sisters do it (my mum is an expert at it). But when I'm broke I do it all the time lol. It's quite exciting. The worst answer you can get is 'no' really. So why not!

my latest haggle was a monsoon dress i got in the sale but got it home and discovered a couple of miniscule holes where the sale tag was pulled.

no other stores in the area had the same size dress available and I really didn't want to return in. I was offered a 10% discount but told them it cost me more than that to get back to the store so I asked very nicely if they could do a wee bit better and she gave me an £11 refund rather than £2.20.

Small change I suppose but I try and haggle wherever I think ill get away with it. keep the ideas coming ladies!!!

i NEVER pay the full price for anything! you go to macdonalds, go in the drive through, if it dont get to you in 3 mins its not classed as fast food, complain, you get it for free!
all the shops will bargain with you especially with us bein in a resession, you can get some right bargains! just try your luck, what you got to lose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back