Curry help

Mildly

Reaction score
OH and I are having a curry takeaway night tonight (in order to see if the curry has an effect) but I have only ever had two curries in my life and so require assistance with my choice.

Now I know it will be a variation of Chicken Tikka but not sure what type to have. The one I like is a Chicken Tikka that comes without a sauce and on a bed of salad (I order rice, naan and popadoms separately). I think in the restaurants I've been in that is a jalfrezi however I have just googled that and it seems to be a really hot, dry fried with chillies curry - I don't remember it being that hot when I had it before though :think: Also isn't it the hot part of the curry that is meant to help labour start? In which case the jalfrezi would probably be a good idea.

Other than that I'll probably just go with the chicken tikka which is under the Tandoori Specialities part of the menu. Does anyone know if that is likely to come with a sauce? Does the tandoori part mean anything special? Also if it doesn't say it is going to come with anything in the menu description is it safe to assume it won't?

Please impart your takeaway curry wisdom as I have limited experience of this. Thanks :D

I can not help you at all as I dont like curries! Especially shop ones! (very rarely I like it when OH makes one at home)
But wanted to say I hope it helps you whicheveryou decide to get!! Maybe you should just get the mega hot one?!!? :shock: hehee

Hey sweetpea!

I'll be honest the whole point of having a curry to bring on labour is to have a sincerly hot one... The reason for this is the pepper/chilli which irritates the bowel and makes your bowel contract and possibly give u the squittles (sorry) therefore in aim to make the uterus contract... (One reason why in early preggytime they tell you to avoid certain foods which are more likely to give you food poisoning and the squits... As it could cause the uterus to contract)

Chicken Tikka is the red chicken WITHOUT the sauce, with the sauce its the masala (bit of history but did you know a masala is actually a english dish? They don't have masala in india)
I digress... :)

The Masala/Tikka dishs are NOT hot so they would unfortunatly do nothing... If you really wanted a hot curry I would suggest a vindaloo or a hot Madras, also maybe ask them to suggest a hot curry as they may have their own versions...

I love curry but im quite boring in that I stick with a mild Korma YUMMY!

I'll also let you know it might not be the most fun way to bring on labour. Labour + runny botty= not much fun however sometimes we just need to try don't we :hug:

If you decide to have a hot curry (You brave woman!) best of luck, maybe keep the ol rennies to hand aswell.

I hope this helps! :hug: :hug:

I think if you go for Tandoori Chicken you should get a dry chicken thing like what you want. Tandoori refers to Tandoor which is a special kind of oven that they cook it in and also i think refers to the blends of spices. What you don't want is a Chicken Tikka Massala which will come in a sauce... but if you order Chicken Tikka without the massala then it should come without sauce .. but don't quote me on that and hope it does the trick :D xxxx

Thanks ladies :D

lol Sharne, I don't like the thought of having the squits (TMI, I seem to be going about 3 times a day at the moment anyway :oops: ), I didn't realise it was the same sort of effect as castor oil :(

In that case I think I will go for a normal chicken tikka as I know I like that and it hopefully won't leave me on the loo all night :D

Thanks for the advice on the distinctions of types of curry, i am really clueless at this kind of stuff and am not really that adventurous with food - once I know what i like I tend to stick with it :D

We will just have to bloody well have sex afterwards :lol:

Mildly said:
Thanks ladies :D

lol Sharne, I don't like the thought of having the squits (TMI, I seem to be going about 3 times a day at the moment anyway :oops: ), I didn't realise it was the same sort of effect as castor oil :(

In that case I think I will go for a normal chicken tikka as I know I like that and it hopefully won't leave me on the loo all night :D

Thanks for the advice on the distinctions of types of curry, i am really clueless at this kind of stuff and am not really that adventurous with food - once I know what i like I tend to stick with it :D

We will just have to bloody well have sex afterwards :lol:

Yes sex might be better, but still have ur curry cause their LUSH! I had jabberwookie the other night and suprisely enjoyed it!!

Yep, I shall do both (just not at the same time) ;)

TMI alert - We haven't done it for a couple of weeks so OH is probably gagging for it ;)

I guess you don't have to have a very very hot curry, if a milder one, erm, gives you the runs anyway.

There's no nice way of saying that is there?!

hey!

Curries are my favourite! :clap:

Tandoori just means that whatever you are eating has been cooked specially in an indian oven called a tandoor. Tandoori chicken is normally served with a sweet chilli sauce.

If your going to get something from the tandoori menu most likely is that it will be dead dry and wont make much of a difference, try something medium that wont burn your mouth of but has the spices and herbs in it that might help with LO :D .

Couple good suggestions are chicken bhuna - medium with a tomato based sauce or my personal fave, chicken dopiaza - medium again but with an onion based sauce and you get nice chunky green peppers in it. Neither of them taste strongly of tomato or onion but thats what the sauce is mainly based on and they wil be full of nice spices to help with your uterus. You could always go with chicken tikka massalla again a tomatoey sauce but this ones more creamy and less likely to have an impact on your tum. Bear in mind you can always pick a curry that you fancy and ask the guys in the takeaway to adapt the level of spiciness to suit your tastes!

Hope I helped!

lol everyone else got here before me :lol: Not that I'm a curry expert but me and OH do like them :wink:

I'd ditto what the girls say about chicken tikka masala - it's a made up english dish and is mainly yogurt and tomato sauce, so although it tastes nice it wont get anything moving.

A nice jalfrezi might do the job. Have you considered karahi? You can usually get those in medium/hot as well :D

Or if you don't want a curry persay go for a hot chicken biryani - it's chicken in sauce (all take aways vairy on the contents of the sauce...some put the veg in, some put it in the rice, some have it really runny and others don't) with pilou rice (add more chillie to it if you ask for it hot) and you ask them for salad and poperdoms and probably get extra chillie and yogurt sauce *yummmm!!*

Well i went out for a curry last night and had a Chicken & Lamb dansak which was blooming lovely (Medium curry cooked with lentils and pineapple). Had a bit of my Mum's medium chicken curry too which was proper gorge and a bit of DH's fairly hot Besea. And today I have had a bit of a show so maybe it did the trick!

Enjoy your tikka or whatever you choose. Yummmmy curry. Ooooh also try Sag Aloo - potatos and spinach so good for those iron levels.

omg this thread has got me gagging for a curry now. I'm so jealous, I'm cooking a boring beef stew with dumplings for tea :( I WANT CURRY! mmmm...chicken bhuna *dribble dribble*

jenjen said:
omg this thread has got me gagging for a curry now. I'm so jealous, I'm cooking a boring beef stew with dumplings for tea :( I WANT CURRY! mmmm...chicken bhuna *dribble dribble*
:lol: me too! am droolin here n really don't fancy goin in the kitchen n makin the toad in the hole i've promised the boys :shakehead: :lol:

:lol: Thanks everyone, I feel much more knowledgeable about curries now even though I still haven't quite made up my mind :D

I think we should all treat ourselves to curry tonight and then the forum will baby boom over the weekend :D

Hmmm i might have a curry for tea tomorrow!!!

Yummy...

My mum makes lovely curries!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back