Cranial osteopathy

Hellokitty

Reaction score
I have made an appointment for Maia to see a cranial osteopath on wednesday. I have heard it is particularly useful for babies who have suffered a traumatic birth and I am hoping it might help settle her down a bit as she is very irritable and not sleeping well.

I just wondered if anyof you had tried cranial osteopathy on their newborns, and what your experiences were?

Thanks. x

It's definitely worth a go. Sam had a tough time as he was back to back and he was up and down the birth canal a few times. He was very fussy and agitated as a newborn and he screamed every evening, it was horrible.
I took him to a cranial osteopath and she worked wonders on him. He's been a changed baby since his treatment.

Good luck!

:)

I took my middle daughter to have that done when she was about three months old because she was very unsettled and had a traumatic birth, it really worked well for her, she began sleeping well and was more settled during the day. Good luck, I hope it helps.

*saulino* said:
Hi

What exactly is this??
Katrina

Likewise I'm not sure either....is it like massage or something to sooth babies?? Totally clueless :oops:

Its a gentle form of osteopathy suitable for babies... see the following link...

http://www.cranial.org.uk/page3.html

I remember watching something about it on tv during my pregnancy and thinking it sounded interesting.

I'm glad to hear some of you have had positive experiences with it, may I ask how many sessions you had?

Sam had five sessions in total. Two the first week, then one a week after that.
It was amazing to watch. She hardly seemed to be touching him at all and yet he seemed to enjoy it. They made a lot of eye contact and she really seemed to be communicating with him. He was always very settled afterwards.
On the third session she managed to 're-align' his spine somehow, and it released pressure from his head (?). I didn't fully understand what it was she was doing but it really seemed to help him.

Good luck HelloKitty - please let us know how you and Maia get on on Wednesday.

Love

Valentine xxx

Hi Hello Kitty,

Congratulations on the birth of your little girl :)

We took our little boy for cranial osteopathy when he was about 3 weeks old. I had a long labour - 18 hours and then had a forceps delivery which left him with a big bruise on his head and eye (like your baby) and he was really cranky the first night in hospital and cried (shrieked) all through the night so we knew how much pain he must have been in. He hasn't been like that since but the lovely midwife who delivered him recommended cranial osteopathy and she had taken her son to have it done. We found someone who did it locally and LO really seemed to like it. The osteopath said that he wasn't too bad, just the bones of his skull were a little misaligned from the birth and his lumbar spine was a little wonky. She did some manipulations and after about half an hour he did a big poo :oops: . However, she told us that this is quite common and a good sign as it means the baby is relaxed and also that his lumbar spine is more aligned (because the abdomen and intestines are so near, manipulation of the lumbar spine can affect their bowel movements and that is what happened). I would recommend it. If you want any more info on our experience, you can always PM me . Good luck! :hug:

ive not heard of it before.

i hope it helps maia. :hug:

let us know how you get on :)

Well we went yesterday...no miracle cure as yet, in fact last night was absolute hell!

She said we need to go back next week but if theres no improvement after say 3 sessions I think we'll quit.

:?

I have to admit we tried this and we found it didn't help with Ellies colic. However I still feel it is worth trying. I think it is dependant on what is actually causing the problem

Don't give up, it took three sessions with Sam before he actually 'allowed' her to do everything she wanted to. He was also very unsettled after the first session. If your LO is still bad try to get two appointments close together, that's what we did with Sam......

:hug:

Sammystar said:
Don't give up, it took three sessions with Sam before he actually 'allowed' her to do everything she wanted to. He was also very unsettled after the first session. If your LO is still bad try to get two appointments close together, that's what we did with Sam......

:hug:

The clinic we went to only do it on wednesdays so we can't do that unless we swap practitioners. I said to DH I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt for 3 or 4 sessions, so we'll see what transpires...

What did the practitioner say to you about your LO? Were you able to get any feedback after the first session?
Our doc told me straight away that she found lots of tension in Sam's neck and forehead. She said straight off it would take three to five sessions before we saw results.
I know how difficult it is for you. You just feel so helpless when they are screaming and there's nothing you can do. Me and OH just used to have to take it in turns walking around the house with him, swaddling him, feeding him and trying to soothe him. It's so exhausting.
Your LO had a tough time at the birth, it'll take a while to right things for her. Just remember it's not your fault. She's preoccupied because she doesn't feel quite right (does that make sense? that's how our Oesteopath explained it to me), and that's why she screams so much and can't seem to settle.
Hang in there hun, it will get better :hug: :hug:

She said there was a lot of compression at the back of her skull and mentioned something about opening up her pelvis at the back of her hips. She said she would do this at the next session. She didn't say how many sessions it might take.

She slept like a baby last night though... :cheer:

aw hun, im so glad it seems to be working :)

give her a cuddle for me :hug:

and heres one for you too :hug: :)

I am serioussly considering this does anyone know how much it costs? Thomas cries quite a lot throughtout the day, do you think it would help? He was born by forceps and according to my medical notes was quite a traumatic birth!

We haven't seen any improvement yet, she's been a proper pain the last couple of nights!

But I am giving it the benefit of the doubt for now and seeing what happens after this weeks session.

It was £42 for the first session and £37 for subsequent sessions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back