Couldn't count platelettes, may have to be admitted

Rosie1

Reaction score
Got a letter this morning from the consultant saying they had been unable to count the platelettes in my blood taken at 28 weeks, as the blood was too sticky and had clotted.

I called the midwife immediately as the test was 7 weeks ago, and she told me to come in immediately for a retest. I did that at 11 this monring, and they told me to phone this afternoon for the results. She said if there is a problem they will admit me to MAC, but i don't really understand why. Any ideas?!

I know they are a bit more concerned because my mum has sticky blood due to a rare hireditary condition, and she heomoraged (sp?) every time she gave birth, nearly dying with me, so i'm wondering if that is why they said they'd admit me, but i don't see that there's anything they can do until i actually pop!

Has anyone else had anything said about their platelettes or sticky blood?

yes me i had a very hight number of plattletes, but then they started coming down, and now i think its normal

Platelets help the blood to clot (along with a load of other things) and a very low platelet count can lead to problems with uncontrolled bleeding.
Low platelet counts can happen for a number of reasons and sometimes you would need to be admitted to find out why the platelet count was so low.

A high platelet count can be due to dehydration, infection or numerous other causes. If its only a bit too high then its not really a problem, but if its way too high then it can cause the blood to clot too much. In pregnancy, we are already at a higher than usual risk of forming clots eg DVT so this can also be a problem.

What can also happen, and what sounds like may have happened to you, is if the blood sample that has been taken sits around for too long the platelets can form clumps and it is not then possible to accurately count them and a repeat sample needs to be taken.

Hope you get an answer soon and don't have to be admitted.
xx

hey joani i wish i found someone like you to explain all of this to me when my count was high. as i didnt know what the midwife was talking about..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back