Could I be harming my baby?

allycat

Reaction score
...by shouting? I'm paranoid that the slightest thing I do is hurting my baby, even lying on my side at night! Am I being crazy or can getting stressed out etc. do some damage?

To be honest i have no idea - i have seen some things that say once out of the first tri try to eat better and relax but im sure there's no hard research on it as i dont remember my midwife telling me to stay calm or i'll hurt my baby or to lie a certain way! I imagine once your far in you cant exactly lie on your front though, :rotfl: :rotfl: Let me know if you fine anything on it though as would be interested myself! Dont think your mad though, it;s a strange feeling isnt it!

Ive read in pregnancy books that as you get more heavily pregnant it is recommended that you lie and your left side as this is the best position for ensuring correct blood flow to bubs, I suppose it has something to do with lying on the same side as your heart im not sure? Il go and google it....try and make a bit more sense!

As you do get bigger and especially near the end sleep is a nightmare, you cant get comfy you can only sleep certain ways, and your kept awake by the constant urge to pee and heartburn. :rotfl: Then when baby is born, more broken sleep!!!! So make them most of it now ladies. Its all worth it mind you, 100 times over. :D :D :D :D :D :D

I found this on the net about sleeping positions....probably makes more sense than me!

Finding a Good Sleeping Position

Early in your pregnancy, try to get into the habit of sleeping on your side. Lying on your side with your knees bent is likely to be the most comfortable position as your pregnancy progresses. It also makes your heart's job easier because it keeps the baby's weight from applying pressure to the large vein (called the inferior vena cava) that carries blood back to the heart from your feet and legs.

Some doctors specifically recommend that pregnant women sleep on the left side. Because your liver is on the right side of your abdomen, lying on your left side helps keep the uterus off that large organ. Sleeping on the left side also improves circulation to the heart and allows for the best blood flow to the fetus, uterus, and kidneys. Ask what your doctor recommends — in most cases, lying on either side should do the trick and help take some pressure off your back.

But don't drive yourself crazy worrying that you might roll over onto your back during the night. Shifting positions is a natural part of sleeping that you can't control. Most likely, during the third trimester of your pregnancy, your body won't shift into the back-sleeping position anyway because it will be too uncomfortable.

My mantra when I was pregnant was 'I'm not ill, I'm pregnant'.

You really won't be doing your baby any harm if you shout. Baby is about 5cms long in there atm.

And about you sleeping on your side, someone else has found the info. But it really only needs to apply once your bump gets big or uncomfy. Until then sleep how you like :) Try to relax about things. Baby has lots of protection in there. Women are not meant to stop living their lives because they are pregnant. Try to carry on as normal as far as possible. Be much better than stressing yourself out worrying about every little thing. And before you worry some more, stress won't hurt. I spent about a month in tears sobbing my heart out when 24 and 32 weeks pregnant (my dogs died two months apart) and didn't do any harm to my LO :) Our bodies are designed to cope with things.

Hi hun

No, you are not hurting your baby by shouting :D . I am a teacher with a huge and unruly class. If I thought that raising my voice would hurt the baby I wouldn't be working! Plus baby is insulated from lots right now, including bumps and bruises and emotional upsets.

However, stress is not good for you and in some ways communicates itself to bubs because when you are stressed your body has adrenalin etc floating around and you don't need that. So if you are getting stressed enough to shout often, don't look at the shouting, look at the cause!

I don't mean to sound patronising or anything but try yoga or meditation or at least deep breathing.

As for lying on your right side, as you get heavier it may cause dizziness because the growing uterus and baby rest on the aorta and vena cava, slightly restricting blood flow. Left side is best later, but again don't panic about it. You won't be able to turn around too much in bed without a crane towards the end anyway!

Hope that helps.

:hug:

Sue

lol i shout at my 2 every now and then especialy when emma decided to draw on our WOODEN doors!!!!, i doubt it'll hurt the baby
as for sleeping your better sleeping on your side then your back :D

Thanks for all the replies guys! I do worry as it's my first... I was shouting so loud at my OH yesterday I swear the baby could feel every note lol! I hardly get any sleep as it is so happy days! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back