• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Colic question... advise please.

Full of hope!

Reaction score
Jacob has colic and this evening he's been really upset with it :(

He has had loads of wind from both ends and has been sick quite a bit. A couple of times the sick was just like water with a few white specks in, is this normal or typical with babies that have colic?

He is already on Infacol but is there anything else we can do to ease the colic or do we just have to wait until he's past this phase?

My only advice would be (and you may already be doing this):

- Keep him upright after a feed for about 10-15 minutes
- Lie him face down over your arm, and rub his back - the pressure on his tum will help dislodge some wind
- Sit him on your knee, and rotate his upper half circular motion - his bottom half stays still) so he tilts forward, then to the side then to the back etc, this helps budge any uncomfortables wind too

Other than that, its just a matter of waiting for the phase to pass, I sympathise, Libby had some really bad nights too :(

Yes Kim he is bottlefed.

Thanks Emmylou, we do already keep him upright after feeds but will try the wind budging tips!

How long do babies usually suffer with colic?

Full of hope! said:
Yes Kim he is bottlefed.

Thanks Emmylou, we do already keep him upright after feeds but will try the wind budging tips!

How long do babies usually suffer with colic?[/quote

Libby was worst the first month or two, think they say at 3 months they should be clear :?

Also if he's bottle fed, maybe try to give him an oz, then wind him a little, then another oz, then wind again etc.......long winded (excuse the pun :wink: ) but it works :D

how about switching bottles?
weve been using dr browns bottles and leahs never had colic, shes never sick, and she finishes all her bottle... not sure if it would help but just some advice :)

One word: COLIEF! Infacol was crap for us. But this thing worked miracles. You have to use it for a few days before it starts working and it is 9.99 for a tiny bottle, so go to your GP and get a prescription.

Really helped us :)

Other thing, which I havent tried is Ostheopath (sp?) They somehow find if there is tension in your baby somewhere and manipulate it out. Sounds crazy but my friend swore by hers.

Hope this helps. Colics can be pretty nasty :hug:

There is a growing number of doctors that are referring colicky babies off to see an osteopath to have their alignment checked. It's worked wonders for some people and if you're driven to despair each evening, it might be worth a go - even if you think it's a load of old tree-hugging nonsense.

We're going through the same thing right now. Evenings are a bloody nightmare. There is no consoling Luke at all between about 5/6pm til 11pm/12am. It's really stressful. He gets fed, then cries and won't settle at all. We have him on Infacol and to be fair he has only been on it a week and I know it can take several days to see any improvement so we will give it a chance but I was told by a good friend that she found Dentinox to be better for Colic than Infacol so we will see how it goes.

I do feel for you if she is anything like Luke. I feel useless at night and have cried over it. It's horrible to have to sit and watch your baby cry like that and know there is little you can do to help. I've tried all the usual things and nothing has worked :(

when you bath him submerge his tum in the water this will help ease the pressure, also if he won't settle do the tiger in the tree hold - worked a treat for paris :hug: :hug:

I really feel for you - paris screamed non stop for weeks :(

Thanks for all your messages of support! It's awful seeing your baby scream and cry while pulling their little legs up in agony! :hug: to everyone else who is going through the same thing at the moment.

Babylicious... can I just ask what the tiger in the tree hold is? :lol:

Alex has colic too. Some days are worse than others but we have found that infacol does seem to be working, hes been on it 2 1/2 weeks now. We also give him a warm bath at 7 most nights and that seems to calm him down.
We also found that putting him in the kitchen with either the dishwasher, washing machine or extractor fan switched on helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blehhj
Back