christenings? how much £ ????

foxymum

Reaction score
hi girls, for those of you who are or have had your LO's christened, roughly how much did it cost you & what did you have ie a party after of a pub meal etc!
thanks any views/ideas would be greately appreciated as i would LOVE to get Louie christened but don't have much money :roll: :hug:

i don't think the actual christening service costs anything and the after thing can cos t as much as you like.

you could maybe just invite close family and have a few sandwiches etc at your home or if you wanted to go out suggest that instead of buying louie a pressie (cos you only get silver crap anyway LOL) they could pay for a meal at a pub??????

Im going home to England on Wednesday for Thea's blessing.
We arent having it in a church, my uncle is a vicar and he is doing it in the local golf club for us (Richard isnt comfortable in churches).
Its cost us £800 for the Club, food and a dicso for afterwards but as we dont live in the UK and people dont get to see Thea often we wanted to make it a big party.

The church itself doesnt cost anything.. all they ask is whilst the hymms are being sung you put a donation in there box..

When i had mine done, we had a buffet type venue at the local pub... take your own decor and they do the rest!

I've just started to look into a Christening for my LO hopefully the end of September or very early October time. The priest has confirmed he'll do it during mass, no charge for it as it's just part of the weekly mass but other ceremonies and private services can be arranged at their discression - costs might apply to those though. Afterwards were having a reception at the house and will have sandwich platters and so forth from Sainsburys & Marks + Spencers (research them if interested in ordering party platters - saves time making the sandwiches etc - as they all offer different types at different prices per serving etc). We are currently looking into gifts for the Godparents and will get a few banners, hellium balloons and what not to decorate the conservatory for the occassion. You also have to factor into it invitations, whether the guests will recieve something similar to a wedding favour at the reception - were giving all the female guests personalised candle holders - also the baby's christening outfit can cost anything from a few pounds to a few hundred depending on what you want, matching shawls, booties, socks etc - were having LO's gown made from my wedding dress and it's been great to help the lady come up with the one off design etc which we can then keep to have our grandchildren christened in etc. So honestly the actual Christeing is free - it just depends on your own funds etc as to what happens afterwards, i.e. a small buffet at home, a huge party in the local village hall, the hiring of a hotel function room, a photographer for the occassion etc - christenings don't cost anything it's the fuss afterwards that costs money. A homemade buffet for the parents, godparents and best friends etc would cost just a few pounds I'm sure.

the church service is free
then we rented the church hall but im not sure how much the cost (if anything) because my granddad sorted it out as he used to work at the church

me and my mum roughly spend about £150 on food/drink
and my grandma and granddad got some catered food, id say that was around £70

also keep in mind the cost of the babies outfit, emilys was £30 but they easily cost about £100

wow thanks for all the info girls, so the church itself is free? wow thats great, now its where to go after as my house it being decorated (or supposedly once DH gets back to it!) & my house is too small really for lots of people.

also how many godparents are you supposed to have as i can only really think of my sis & BIL as all my friends are my close friends & i don't really want to choose one over the other :roll: .

also9 as my other two kids haven't been christened i would love to get them done too at the same time? what do you girls think?
xx

we paid for a dress obviously and then we boght a bible which was blessed and given to emma then for a "reception" we rented the village hall for £20 and made a buffet myself for 40+ people just got loads of sanwiches and stuff :D

foxymum said:
also how many godparents are you supposed to have as i can only really think of my sis & BIL as all my friends are my close friends & i don't really want to choose one over the other :roll: .

also9 as my other two kids haven't been christened i would love to get them done too at the same time? what do you girls think?
xx

you can have as little or as many godparents as you like

i think it would be lovely to get them all christened at the same time

You can have as many or as few Godparents as you like. LO will be Christened with one Godmother and one Godfather. I think anything goes really so long as you are not having 20 godmothers and 20 godfathers type thing!! Some people have 2 Godmothers, 2 Godfathers but it's a personal thing really.

As for having your other children done too I think it's lovely. My step-kids haven't been Christened either and I've asked if they would like to join in and be christened too (there all teenagers) so I just get :shock: or :roll: looks from them so presume that to be a no!!

the church was free
and then u just pay for food and stuf and depending wen ur having the after thing
braydon had to god mums and a god father

foxymum said:
wow thanks for all the info girls, so the church itself is free? wow thats great, now its where to go after as my house it being decorated (or supposedly once DH gets back to it!) & my house is too small really for lots of people.

xx

I think it's a great idea hun, you can get your two other children christened at the same time!
The Church didn't cost anything, we only spent about £100 in total, the food was £3.00 per head (£120 -Mum paid half) and we brought some balloons and helium £30 & OH's parents brought Harrys outfit.

EDIT: You can have as many God parents as you want! Harrison had 2 girls and 2 boys

My kids are getting done 26th august bank holiday weekend :D

the church costs nothing but i will give a donation

the party room is £130 but we get £100 back
Dj is costing £120 which is cheap for bank holiday
food will be about £140
Diors dresss was £12 bridemaids dress in the sale
not got Harleys outfit yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads