CHICKPEAS

1sttimemum

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good recipes or ideas with chickpeas included?

i started a healthy eating weight watchers and bought a big bag of c\hickpeas, i dont no what to do with them lol

my friend puts them in her curries and it is a WW recipe... I will see if I can get a copy of it for you

SarahH said:
my friend puts them in her curries and it is a WW recipe... I will see if I can get a copy of it for you

Mighta known you'd be able to help lol

ehehe, tis a good thing, you seem a fab cook, always doing gorge stuff

Oooh she was on MSN...

She says:

jodi says:
as much chicken as you need to feed folk lol
a tablespoon of medium curry powder
dried ginger, roughly a teaspoon
tin of green lentils
fresh tomatoes, either 1 large or a few cherry
and 3-4 spring onions
small tub of low fat greek yoghurt
~~~~
put the curry paste into the pan, on a low heat, and gradually add the yoghurt, then just stir in the ginger, and then just lob in the chopped veg, lentils and place the chicken fillets on top, cover and leave it till chicken is done about 20-30 mins

It's a Scottish Slimmers recipe and she uses a tin of lentils, but if you just pre soak and boil yours it will work just the same

Hummus all the way :D Or falafel are nice too. Easy to prepare, there's loads of recipes on t'internet xx

I make a couple of different chickpea curries, they are both delicious but both taste quite different.

SPICY CHICKPEAS
This is my fave, its quite hot its a Madhur Jafferey recipe and its supposedly a dish sold in Delhi by street hawkers. I tend to make up two batches and freeze a batch. Its really easy to cook and takes approximately half hour to make. I usually serve it with a raita (nat yog, cucumber, mint and some ground cumin) and chappatis or sometimes just cous cous if im in a rush.

If you are soaking your own chickpeas then weigh out half the recommended amount cause they double in size and weight once finished soaking.

5 tbs veg oil (I usually dont make it with veg oil I just use fry light olive oil spray)
2 med size onions, peeled & finely chopped
8 cloves of garlic, peeled & finely chopped
1 tbs ground coriander seeds
2 tsp ground cumin seeds
1/4 - 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground turmeric
6 tbsp of finely chopped fresh & skinned tomatoes or tinned toms
2 1/2 x 450g tins chick peas drained, or 675g home cooked, drained chickpeas
2 tsp ground roasted cumin seeds (if youre not sure how to roast cumin seeds just pm me & I can explain its the easiest thing in the world)
1 tbs ground amchoor (this is mango powder but I have made it without this ingredient cause its hard to find)
2 tsp sweet/smoked paprika (again I have made it without sweet/smoked paprika or I have used just normal paprika)
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs lemon juice (roughly juice of half a lemon)
1 fresh green chilli
2 tsp finely grated ginger

Heat oil, when hot add onions & garlic.
Stir and fry until a rich medium brown shade
Add coriander, cumin (not roasted cumin), cayenne and turmeric.
Stir for a few seconds.
Now add toms, stir and fry until toms are amalgamated.
Add chickpeas & 8floz of water.
Stir.
Add garam masala, ground roasted cumin, amchoor, paprika, salt & lemon juice, stir again.
Cover and turn heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove cover, add chilli and ginger, stir and cook for another 30 seconds then serve.

MOROCCAN CHICKPEAS & SPINACH
2 medium onions chopped
Fry light
1 tso cumin seeds
2 cloves of garlic crushed
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tsp ground coriander
300ml veg stock
2 x 400g chick peas, drained (if soaking your own then I would use 335g dried weight)
4 ripe toms skinned & chopped (I have used a tin rather than fresh toms)
250g spinach washed

Spray a deep pan with fry light and on a medium heat add onions, cook stirring for 5 mins until turning brown.
Stir in cumin & garlic cook for a further 1 min.
Add rest of spices and mix well.
Pour in veg stock, bring to simmer and add chick peas and toms then simmer un-covered for 20 mins.
Meanwhile roughly shred spinach, put into large saucepan and cook for 2-3 mins until wilted.
Drain well through a sieve.
Add to chick peas and cook for 2-3 mins.
Season if needed.

This usually takes about 45 mins to make and again I seve with rice or chapatis with Raita,

Bon appetit!

wow thank you there charlie, somthin nice to try.

I do wonder if there allowed on the weight watchers core plan?

1sttimemum said:
wow thank you there charlie, somthin nice to try.

I do wonder if there allowed on the weight watchers core plan?

Youre welcome.
I cant see why not, I do slimming world and I just use fry light instead of any oil and the rest of the ingredients are all spices, veg & chickpeas.

The only thing you might not be able to include are chappatis??? But cous cous, rice and the raita are all very healthy.

Thank you. Im lovng cooking and trying new things, this is defo somethin new hehe

Chickpea burgers!! They are soooo yummy!! It's a Gillian McKeith recipie:

Ingredients

410g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
410g tin red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 carrot, trimmed, peeled and finely grated
1 small onion, peeled and finely grated
50g sunflower seeds
2 tbsp tahini, drained of any excess oil before measuring
1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
1 handful chopped fresh coriander
1 tbsp wheat-free vegetable bouillon powder

Method

Preheat oven to 220°C/Gas 7.

Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend for 5-10 seconds, until the mixture is fairly coarse (you can use a hand-held blender). Push the mixture down with a spatula and blend for a further 10 seconds.

Remove the blades from the processor, wet your hands under the cold water tap and shape the mixture into 20 small balls.

Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper. Place the balls on the tray and flatten slightly with the back of the spoon.

Bake for 15-18 minutes until lightly coloured. Remove from the oven and allow to rest. Serve with sweet potato wedges and a crunchy raw salad of mangetout, radishes, grated carrot, sliced celery and fennel dressed with a squeeze of lemon juice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back