cervical exam....

millylillyrose

Reaction score
Ok, so at my doctors appointment yesterday she asked me to bring my husband to the next visit (Aug 1st) to discuss birth options and labour....she also said so off handedly and i'll check your cervix then and see how things are going.

Ok so i know by the end of this, im not gonna care one bit about them, and wont feel shy about that kind of thing. but i've never had that kind of check, and am totally freaked about it. Why cant she just wait till i go into labour and check then....UGH! Also, wont my cervix be high as i wont be in labour yet, therefore....is it going to be really painfull?

Also, what the hell do you wear to one of those checkups? surely not going to just pull my pants down and lay there half naked.
I feel like a total freak feeling like this!!!

As a rule they usually leave well alone until you are in labour. I certainly find it odd she wants to check espcially this early. I'd be inclined to say no thanks to an internal at this point unless there is a real medical reason/concern about something. If its 'routine' I'd say no for sure. I've never heard of a routine check internally in any tri tbh. They just don't do it these days unless there is a real reason to.

They usually have you take off your lower garments and give you a sheet or towel to put over your legs etc. So it doesn't matter what you wear.

I'd still say no thanks to an internal though. Risk of infection and all that is reason enough. They don't need to go poking around up there.

aw its not bad honestly its like a smear bit without the little brush thing- which is the worst part for me! they usually tell you to take off your trousers and underwear, they let me have a sheet over my legs so i didnt feel so exposed- if you are really worried wear a dress and they won't make you take it off just the underwear..it only takes a min max- they just check if your cervix is favourable, in fact you could even say you dont want this if you really dont! But i'd say go for it they can see if your effacing or dilating at all yet and its really not that bad..you have to give birth soon and that really is dignity out the window time so you might aswell...lol

:hug: :hug:

EDIT: just looked at your ticker..it is a bit odd to do this i thought it was gonna be your last appt or something!
yeah just say no!! lol

lol, yes all dignaty will be leaving me soon,
I've not had a smear before.....so i guess thats why i have nothing to compare and dont know what to expect. Im always so worried about being SUPER clean for doctor visits....its like an hour drive from here too.
Will she be 'looking' or just feeling? Oh man, i feel like a freak!

My 36 week appointment is the next one I have. She has asked me to bring OH as will be having a chat about homebirth too, but nothing about checking up there and don't know why they would without good reason!? :think:

I dont know, maybe its a gay American thing, they seem to like to interviene a lot, and know whats going on. I'll be 37 weeks by then, maybe she thinks that i might be dilated some or something.
I'd feel funny refusing though.

ahh that makes sense- i didn't realise you were in the usa!
well i'm sure they cannot force you so if you feel very nervous about it then
say you'd prefer to leave things naturally!

edit- arent you in berkshire???

fran....was in berkshire untill end of april when husband and i moved back here for his work. He's from here originally. tbh, not a great place to have your baby, midwives are uncommon, and it costs $3000 to have a natural birth, on top of any doctor visits :( bad timing for us!

My MW asked me if I wanted to be 'examined' at my appointment yesterday but that is only beacuse I was 3 days overdue. I said was there any point as I reckon my LMP due date is this Friday rather then the scan date of last Saturday and we agreed not to bother, but looking at your ticker I can't understand why she would want to so early!

Mx

I've never had any pain or discomfort whilst having an internal and I've had a lot while having fertility treatment and before when had abnormal smear and had a camera shoved up there :talkhand: . Got so blase about it now I'm undoing my trousers while in the waiting room :rotfl: . I must admit I did draw the line when my DH wanted to have a look up there when we had IUI.

my goodness- expensive business! good luck with the appointment remember
you don't have to have an internal- do NOT feel bad about refusing..it is your body and baby-
i can't really see what good it could do anyway! as Sherlock already said it will just put you at extra risk or infection
anyway! hope it all goes well! :hug:

Personally, I don't think I'd ever say "no" to an internal. They're just checking on you so I'd be inclined to just go along with it. They must have their own 'routine' checks over there :think: Either way, I'd do it 'just in case' anything is going on up there! They're nurses/doctors, they know what they're doing.

It's not too bad hun. I had one a couple of Sundays ago and it was a tad uncomfortable but nothing too bad. I was wearing jeans but they just asked me to take them off and they put a cover over me.

You'll be fine hun :hug:

Don't worry, you'll be fine. When I had an internal it was uncomfortable but over really quickly so its not too bad. All they do is insert a speculum (think thats what its called) to open you up which only takes a few seconds, have a quick look with a torch and then its over. As for losing your dignity, that will completely go out the window when you give birth and they really have seen it all before, in fact they've probably seen a lot worse. Its nothing to them, just their job so they won't care what you look like down there! But if you really don't want one then you can refuse it because as others have said its not necessary at this point :hug: :hug:

I've already had two routine internal exams, one at 10+4 weeks and one at 26+4. I've got one more coming up in August too, so it seems like one every trimester here in Finland.

I guess in the US they have a similar routine checks?

As far as I know they just check you're "closed" and the "length"... don't really understand myself as I'm just doing a bad translation of my notes ;)

It's a bit uncomfortable (and not very dignified lying there without your pants on while the doctor has a fiddle!) but it doesn't hurt at all. The idea of it is worse than the actual exam if you know what I mean! :hug:

Don't mean to be vulgar but just try closing your eyes and pretending you're having sex with a guy who's too big lol. I know it sounds stupid but it made me relax a bit.

WrigleysBextra said:
Don't mean to be vulgar but just try closing your eyes and pretending you're having sex with a guy who's too big lol. I know it sounds stupid but it made me relax a bit.
Relax?! :shock: You must be joking!?! I've had guys too big and it's bloody uncomfortable! No chance of that happening when I have a bucket :roll: x

hahaha, its not going to be pretty!

actually my husband and i have only been married just a year, and even now if im not totally relaxed, its still pretty uncomfortable. Perhaps having a baby will help! lol :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back