• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Car seat question

Nic'n'Keeley

Reaction score
Keeley's gettin too long for her rear facing car seat but she only weighed 18lbs and 8oz's last time i got her weighed and i know she has to be 20lbs to go in a forward facing one....

But i think if(touchwood we don't) have an accident she wil hurt her legs as she is too long for the car seat...

So have any of you put you LO's in a front facin car seat before they reached the weight?

I mean she's not far off 20lbs i dunno whether to risk is or not?
What do you think? what would you do?

wen i took Braydon in to mothercare and explained same thing was happening
they sed that coz he could sit for a good 20 mins with out aid it would be ok the weight thing is apperently coz on average thats wen they should be able to site for a while unaided

rachaels in a foward facing car seat. she was way too long for her baby one. she loves to look around. i can;t see the problem so long as they are strapped in securely.
someone correct me if im wrong here! i don't want to put rachael at risk.

All mine have been lighter than 20 pounds when i have put them into th forward facing one.
all mine were only 21 puond on their first birthday. i cannot imagine thenm still in a abt seat by then :rotfl:

Sarah&Braydon said:
wen i took Braydon in to mothercare and explained same thing was happening
they sed that coz he could sit for a good 20 mins with out aid it would be ok the weight thing is apperently coz on average thats wen they should be able to site for a while unaided

that sounds about right. thanks for that sarah.

Oh good... i've just got to save some pennies now for a car seat :lol:

I think keeley wil love to look forward as she cries now when she's in the car :(

Thanks ladies :hug:

I think the important thing is that they can sit unaided for a good length of time. Its something to so with being able to hold there body upright on if there was an accident. It also doesnt matter if their legs hang over the end of the rear facing infant carrier only if their head is coming over the top of the seat do you need to change it.

Oh I didn't know that either. I put Aimee in a forward facing seat when she was only about 17lb but she only weighs 20lb and she would never fit in a rear facing one now. You learn something new everyday! :D

Hi

I put Kiara in hers early when she was under a year old, she out grew her rear facing after only a few months (length wise)
She has just made it to the weight for our car seat
Katrina

I am a stickler for following the safety advice, so when Ellie got too big for her Mamas and Papas seat but she was (and still is) under the 20lb weight we bought this seat:

http://www.kiddicare.com/invt/carbtxfst ... 0&N=365+16

This she fits in so much better (as soon as we switched to it she stopped complaining when we put her in the seat, she was just getting squashed in the old one). It means we can keep her rear-facing until she is over the 20lb weight and potentially even longer than that.

I just got a combination car seat and put him in rear facing until 9 months.

I think i'm gonna try and get a forward facin one this weekend...

I looked on kiddicare last night and they are really good prices :)

Spoke to health visitor about this today - as I was wondering if it was OK to face Ellie forward yet. She said it is 9kg or 9months, but advised that if they reach 9months and aren't 9kg (which Ellie isn't yet 8.58kg). To still keep them rear-facing as it is much safer. Something to do with the ratio of the weight of their head and the rest of their body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back