• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

car insurance and named drivers - help please!!!

MissGobby

Reaction score
well as you may know, DF may be getting his licence revoked soon for speeding again!! :roll:

he bought a Golf TDI in July/August last year and i have my Corsa but we are spending too much money running them both and tbh, a Golf TDI sounds alot better than a Corsa so i want his hee hee hee - he has said i can drive his car in the week and he drive it at weekends when he is up here and when he is on holidays - which i think is fair!!!

the thing is now, im wanting to find the best deal, preferably with him going on my insurnace as a named driver. anyone else do this?? what insurance are you with??? how much do you pay?

currently i am paying £1,400 a year for my 1.7 corsa and Danny is paying near enough the same, £1,400 a year for his 1.9 TDI Golf - i have found one quote on Diamond.co.uk which will cost us in the region of £1,151.90 with him being on my insurance - is this about right?!

thanks everyone! :D

Gosh your insurance is high, I suppose it's because your still under 25?
My insurance quote won't help you at all but I pay around £420 per year and that's insuring (fully comprehensive) a brand new Freelander - I have no idea what it would cost me to insure that if I was under 25. My husband is a named driver on my policy so the £420 covers us both.

Have you tried cheap sites?

www.tesco.com - they do cheap insurance (funnily enough Asda etc are usually more expensive).
also www.elephant.co.uk they really are quite cheap.

Try to stay away from the big branded insurance companies they tend to charge more for some reason especially if you have don't have any no claims years and under 25 they can be rather expensive.

Keep searching, or use an engine like www.confused.com they check about 20 in the same time you could do one...the post office do car insurance too and are supposed to be quite cheap but when I checked with them they were one of the more expensive quotes I recieved.

I'm sure you can find something a tad less than £1,500 fro you both? Happy Hunting!!

Get quotes for 'any driver' as well as named driver. It works out cheaper for us to have any driver on ours rather than my dad on as a named driver (he has points and drives for a living).

Your quote
Step 2 of 7
Your car insurance quote is £202.48 a month
Premium includes Insurance Premium Tax where applicable
Your payment breakdown Deposit (Credit/Debit card) £458.85 1st instalment (Direct Debit) £202.48 Remaining 9 instalments £202.46 APR 21.5 % Total amount payable £2,483.47
Or you can pay by one lump sum either by Direct Debit or Credit/Debit card. The amount payable is

that was from Tesco :shock: without even putting named driver on!!!!!WOW!!! :shock: :lol:

My OH is on his Dads insurance with Tesco and he pays £130 a month on a 1.8 Civic Sport. He's 22 plus has 3 points. I think you will find its pretty expensive until one of you is over 25.... crap isnt it!

Princess_Puddles said:
My boyfriend is with an Irish company http://www.quinn-direct.com/ they are very cheap, he only pays £34.99 a month. I was given a quote of around £900 a year on a 1.6 Vauxhall Corsa

EDIT: I'm 17 and OH is 21

Yeah i saw them advertised and got a cheaper quote for OH, are they ok? I was worried about moving with it being irish and not in england :? im strange I know but seemed too good to be true!

happy_chick said:
Princess_Puddles":r27uf588]My boyfriend is with an Irish company [url="http://www.quinn-direct.com/ said:
http://www.quinn-direct.com/[/url] they are very cheap, he only pays £34.99 a month. I was given a quote of around £900 a year on a 1.6 Vauxhall Corsa

Yeah i saw them advertised and got a cheaper quote for OH, are they ok? I was worried about moving with it being irish and not in england :? im strange I know but seemed too good to be true![/quote:r27uf588]

No they're really good, he's been with them for just over 2 years now and have had no problems with them what so ever!! I really recommend them! the excess you pay if you were to claim isnt much either

Princess_Puddles said:
happy_chick":2qo3pjhc][quote="Princess_Puddles":2qo3pjhc]My boyfriend is with an Irish company [url="http://www.quinn-direct.com/ said:
http://www.quinn-direct.com/[/url] they are very cheap, he only pays £34.99 a month. I was given a quote of around £900 a year on a 1.6 Vauxhall Corsa

Yeah i saw them advertised and got a cheaper quote for OH, are they ok? I was worried about moving with it being irish and not in england :? im strange I know but seemed too good to be true![/quote:2qo3pjhc]

No they're really good, he's been with them for just over 2 years now and have had no problems with them what so ever!! I really recommend them! the excess you pay isnt much either[/quote:2qo3pjhc]

ooo great thanks hun x

ohhh great - thanks PP - gonna go get a quote - will tell you what it comes to.....

brb :D

I just got rid of my car & the same using my partners car as he has a van he drives most of the time, for the time being im on his insurance until June when it is up for renewal as we want the no claims bonus then he have 3 years, Then i plan to go to direct line, as they allow named drivers to get there own no claims bonus which is a good idea.

:hug:

call and ask if there is anything they can do to reduce the price... most advisers for most companies have a percentage they are allowed to discount to get business :wink:

was filling it in when some bloody person from work came over to me so had to click it off (we are not allowed on internet at work :lol: ) thne have just been on my lunch - gonna do it now! :D

Princess_Puddles said:
MissGobby said:
ohhh great - thanks PP - gonna go get a quote - will tell you what it comes to.....

Did you get a quote hun?

hiya hun :wave: tried to get a quote twice now and its not letting me for some reason - telling me to telephone them :roll:

MissGobby said:
Princess_Puddles said:
MissGobby said:

Did you get a quote hun?

hiya hun :wave: tried to get a quote twice now and its not letting me for some reason - telling me to telephone them :roll:

it must be 'refering' for some reason. they would need to check more details with you that you couldn't give over the phone.

Try Direct Line as mine and OH insurance is way cheaper than that and I am only 22 yrs old. I have got 5 years no claims now but it should still be cheaper than what you are paying and with Direct Line they let named drivers build up no claims aswell.

I think elephant are great, shame about the advert!

missac said:
I think elephant are great, shame about the advert!

I was with them last year and got a good deal just managed to find an even better one this year. Completely agree about the stupid adverts!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blehhj
Back