• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

car help *pic added*

Riley's Mommy

Reaction score
i have a BMW 520i.

its been off road for some months now, and me and my OH are hoping to get it back on road on wednesday.

its 89 reg.

does anyone know what may need attention in the MOT after standing for months?

my dad has charged the battery for me. we are taking oil with us and a tyre pump.

so i guess my questions are:

do you think ill have a problem starting it?

and what may have gone wrong in the months standing, which will need sorting in the MOT? id like to get an idea at what im looking at. so i have a rough idea of how much the MOT may sting me.

I had a car standing for a while when i was learning to drive. The biggest problem was the battery was flat and the clutch cable needed replacing (dont know if that was because of standing tho). Also some little b***ard went down the street and slashed everyones tyres :evil: :evil: ) but after a little tlc it was road worthy again. Hope it goes well for you

thanks hun, thats re-assuring. my dad has the battery at his house, and has charged it for me. and we are taking a tyre pump and oil with us.

having spent £600 on insurance for it, im praying it will go through the mot with little wrong with it :pray:

Depending on how long its been standing the brakes and or hand brake might have seized there might be mould inside too so take some cleaner with you! (i'm talking from personal experience lol )
Also make sure you check the water/coolant levels and try the brakes you don't wanna find you change/charge the battery and start driving to find the brakes have gone!
Good luck flower, i'm sure you'll be ok :hug:

hiya, yes i intend to take cleaner with me, as my dad said last time he seen it it was going mankey. my poor leather seats :cry:

how would you un cease the brakes?

I think if they feel wierd... i dunno :oops:
I've just heard people say it sorry

Oh and another thought check the pipes and hoses for any leaks and splits as this is known on BM's.

If the brakes are seized and the wheels don't turn you'd have to change the disks i would imagine, they WILL grind to start with because of rust, if they do turn at all.

hi ladies :D

went to see the car. was very nervous of how i would find it. and was pleasantly suprised. other than needing a good wash, and an oil change, it looked fine. engine started first time so the next milestone was wether it would move, if the brakes were stuck on. and the car moved with no problem whatsoever

so we gave it a good clean before taking it to the MOT centre. was abit apprehensive about driving it. as i wasnt sure if it would break down (as even though it looked ok you can never tell) but it was fine. and other than a clicking type sound from a wheel, it drove like it used to (which is shocking after standing for like 6months or so)

found the garage and nervously awaited the phone call to let us know the damage.

turns out, there was a slight problem with the handbreak (its always been tough) a link bar thing in coming from one of the tyres (hense the noise we heard) and a couple of other things (forget now)

the total for work and labour is £280 which is good really (considering my old 106 cost £300 last time) although i dont really have the money atm, its not as bad as it could have been.

the man is ordering the parts, expects to get them tomorow. and said we could proberly pick the car up tuesday next week (depending on when he gets time to work on it, as he is fitting us in at short notice)

so it was best case senario really.

and it wont be long until i get my brum brum back on the road :cheer:

keslo66 said:
having spent £600 on insurance for it, im praying it will go through the mot with little wrong with it :pray:

you only pay £600 insurance and your the same age as me?? how the heck you do that girl??? lol :lol:

MissGobby said:
keslo66 said:

you only pay £600 insurance and your the same age as me?? how the heck you do that girl??? lol :lol:

what car do you have? it all depends on engine size, age of car, and the area you live in, if its a 'boy racer type car'

keslo66 said:
MissGobby said:
keslo66 said:

what car do you have? it all depends on engine size, age of car, and the area you live in, if its a 'boy racer type car'

well :oops: it is a 1.7 corsa LOL

BUT.....i thought with it being a diesal it would be cheaper to insure - how wrong was i - i pay £1,400 a year for mine grrrrr :x

MissGobby said:
keslo66 said:
MissGobby said:
keslo66 said:

well :oops: it is a 1.7 corsa LOL

BUT.....i thought with it being a diesal it would be cheaper to insure - how wrong was i - i pay £1,400 a year for mine grrrrr :x

:shock: OMG. thats extortionate!!

i only payed like £700 for my lil 106 when i passed.

what company are you with? even being a boy racer type car, i wouldnt expect to pay that much. for that car id expect to pay £1000 TOPS! and even then id think that was expensive.

Get yourself a BMW hun lol. it looks better (imo) and cheaper on the insurance (apparently lol)

lol tell me about it, im with Prudential who at the time were the cheapest - some companies quoted me around £3,000 FOR A BLINKIN CORSA?!?!? they are mad!!! lol

im selling it soon and sharing Danny's Golf TDI brum brummmmm :rotfl:

yeh get rid of it lol. i begrudged paying £600. i lauged at the companys quoting me £800+

this is my car:

BMW-1.jpg

thats the pic i got sent before i got the car. dnt have any others LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen