Canceling Car Insurance can I get the money back?

nickilubs

Reaction score
My car is coming up for its MOT and tax so I may as well take it to the scrappy and see if I can get anything for it. The only thing is that I'm not too sure about the Insurance on it as I'm not going to get a new car because I don't use it enough now. I think it cost me about £370 in April so I still have 5months left of it is there anyway I can claim this back? If I paid in installments I wouldn't have to pay it, just a canceling fee of about £35 so can I pay the canceling fee and claim back whats left? It would work out about £100 but I don't know how it works? Can anyone help? Thanks :)

I think you can. You paid for the year but cancelling halfway so you are entitled to what you're not using.

Depends on the terms of your policy, some companies won't charge for the time remaining but most have a cancellation charge these day (which I think is a complete rip off!) some are around £50, some charge a fee + another fee if you're in your first year with them. Best to give them a ring and ask, if they want to charge lots ask to speak to a manager or their complaints department, sometimes when you complain they knock the charge off (you can alway lie and say you'll need insurance in a few months time and unless they knock the charge off you definitely won't be going back to them)

Whenever I have canceled policies I have always got the remainder back... I cant recal if they took a fee or not.

I hope they give it back to you!!

:think: If they don't pay me back....but they want to charge me to cancel it and the car is written off (by the scrap yard) then would I be able to not cancel it so I don't have to pay for the canceling fee? Or is that illegal and would get me told off? I don't mind paying a canceling fee if they pay me the remaining 5months but I would be peed off if I lost the 5months and had to pay a fee to cancel it! LOL does that make sense!

nickilubs said:
:think: If they don't pay me back....but they want to charge me to cancel it and the car is written off (by the scrap yard) then would I be able to not cancel it so I don't have to pay for the canceling fee? Or is that illegal and would get me told off? I don't mind paying a canceling fee if they pay me the remaining 5months but I would be peed off if I lost the 5months and had to pay a fee to cancel it! LOL does that make sense!

I think the fee would be in the form of just giving you less money back if they agree to refund. I think theres a guideline of how much as a percentage you get back depending in where you are in the year. If you have your policy documents its in there how much you get, etc to cancel. But no in answer to the other qusetion its not illegal to keep the policy even if you dont need it just let it run out, but you shouldnt need to as they will either give you back some money and cancel it from now or just say you aren't gonna have any money back but still cancel it!xx

i did it with my first car hun. I had it 6 months then bought my clio.

I called them and said about it and said i had found a cheaper quote (to stop them saying we will just transfer etc) and within a week i had a letter through my door saying they owed me x amount (im thinking about £176) for the installments i had already paid or something (i was paying monthly at the time) and it just went back into my bank acount.

I think all they will do is deduct the cancelation fee from your refund, but there again iv never paid car insurance all in one go lol (always been £700+ lol)

Hope you get some back hun and get something for the car.

Another way you could go with it hun is if you have somewhere to store the car advertise it as good for parts if you know what i mean or as having no MOT and Tax but needs work. im sure someone who likes working on cars may give you something more than a scrapper for it maybe.

Good luck sorting it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back