Can you do breast and formula?

Becs

Reaction score
Am considering making the switch and wondered if anybody does a combination of breast and formula. Austin takes 2 bottles a day now of ebm and one of those is pretty fowl tasting as it has his vitamins in.

I think we will probably switch to formula in the next month but wondered if it is possible to still do a couple of breast feeds a day such as the first one of the day and the one before bedtime.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Becs x

I think laracomps does a mix - perhaps ask her?

Good luck :hug:

Absolutely. I've been feeding LO formula top ups since he was about 6 weeks and now he still has 3 breast feeds (early morning/afternoon and night) with formula bottles + two small solid meals a day. :D

Yep I do mixed feed indeed. Mainly as I had such problems getting Phoebe to feed in the first place.

I breast feed her before every bottle during the day (if I am in).

My main concern was losing my milk, as sometimes it can dry you up. But fingers crossed so far my milk seems to have remained the same. I don't have loads, never have done, hence having to top her up with almost a full bottle!

It works for us now, but then again it has to!

If you have been mainly breastfeeding, I think they recommend mixed feeding for a while anyway, otherwise you might end up with mastitis when you stop.

So you should be fine doing the 2 feeds a day. I think your body adjusts so it knows to make milk at those times?! Someone correct me if I am wrong.

In a way you have the best of both worlds with mixed feeding. Tho I still would have loved to have fully b'fed her! Next time eh :) :shhh: Don't let the OH hear me say that yet :rotfl:

I mix the two - I express what I can and top up with formula. She probably has half and half a day!

Isaac had breast and formula up to 6months just fine :) Though we did change through a few brands, from SMA to C&G to HiPP, which he's still on now.

Maisie refuses to eat during the day as the world is just too exciting :roll:

Since Saturday I have been trying to feed her formula during the day and then BF still at night- roughly 12 hours of each.

So far no problems, I have started with Aptamil.

Great, thanks for all of your responses. I will try to intergrate. Austin never sleeps on his nap time from 7pm to 10pm despite a top up of EBM so I am going to introduce a little amount of formula in his top up EBM this evening to see if it makes any difference. Slowly, slowly I think for me. I'd be really pleased if I can do both. Fingers crossed it works :D

Hope it works out for you Becs, I am interested to hear how it goes as I am going to be doing mixed feeding now.

I have anguished over whether to do it for a few weeks now. April has been very very slow to gain weight (was 7lb 7oz at birth, now she is 8lb 15oz at 9 weeks!, she is on the 2nd centile curve)

I gave April her first formula top-up today. She seemed to really enjoy it and she has been amazingly content today! I haven't really been given much clear guidance on how to incorporate the formula, so I am BF most of the day and trying a bottle for the last two feeds of the day. (I will express when I miss a feed and store the milk for EBM top-ups.)

Good luck with what ever you decide to do! :hug:

I breastfed exclusively until Asher was 6 months old.

I then gradually dropped feeds. I've been breastfeeding morning and evening now for a good few months. He has boob when he wakes up, 1 bottle of formula during the day, and boob before he goes to bed.

It works very well for us. But then I am back at work part-time so it was important for me that he would take a bottle of formula during the day.

K.xxx

Happybunny said:
Hope it works out for you Becs, I am interested to hear how it goes as I am going to be doing mixed feeding now.

I have anguished over whether to do it for a few weeks now. April has been very very slow to gain weight (was 7lb 7oz at birth, now she is 8lb 15oz at 9 weeks!, she is on the 2nd centile curve)

I gave April her first formula top-up today. She seemed to really enjoy it and she has been amazingly content today! I haven't really been given much clear guidance on how to incorporate the formula, so I am BF most of the day and trying a bottle for the last two feeds of the day. (I will express when I miss a feed and store the milk for EBM top-ups.)

Good luck with what ever you decide to do! :hug:

I've had no advice really either so I'm making it up as I go along! I tend to feed whatever I have at the time!

It doesn't seem to make a difference what she has when so do it so it's convenient to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back