Can recreational drug use in the past affect your pregnancy?

WendyWandy said:
Ah, I remember when I was naive, before I had my first baby: I had it all planned - a home water birth, birdsong CD and (in case it got REALLY bad) a TENS machine. Ha! The second birth was more like that, though both times I sucked on that gas & air pipe as though my life depended on it and would have welcomed being stunned with a mallet during a contraction, never mind a shot of diamorphine :shock:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Sounds like me before my labour!

Misslarue,

Your little boy is just the cutest ever! He is absolutely gorgeous.

Don't worry about hijacking my post - although I wasn't expecting it, I'm fascinated by the responses!

What I'd most like to say is a huge thank you to all those who have felt able to admit to a similar past to me - your personal experiences have done a lot to calm my late-night fears that I have somehow damaged this much-longed-for child. I'm in total agreement with the sentiment that I am not "clean" as I was never dirty - just looking for something different out of life. I'm hoping that my past experiences will make it easier in the future if my child feels the need to experiment in the same way, as I'll know first-hand why (in my opinion) it was time I could better have spent releasing my creativity and energy in a non-chemical way, and I hope that I'll be able to help them stay safe and not put themselves in some of the dangerous situations I did - but then I guess every parent hopes that!

It's been great to discover some like-minded souls on here - when I started using this forum, I really enjoyed reading it and found a LOT of extremely useful information, but wasn't sure there were that many people on here with a similar outlook on aspects of life to mine. This debate and the support I've received has definitely changed that!

I, of course, will be giving birth at home in a pool with a CD of birdsong! Actually, I think I'll pass on that last bit... I've said to my partner that if things don't quite go to plan and I end up going to hospital and cave in and ask for some serious pain relief, he's not EVER allowed to quote back to me all the stuff I've been reading aloud to him about the evils of drugs during labour for the past 3 months! :wink:

Larceny - I hope you get the birth you want. I really did hire the birthing pool for use at home in my first labour. This was over 10 years ago, I'm sure they'll have made easier versions since? Anyway, I didn't reckon on a 42-hour "back-to-back" labour and 2 midwives who were knackered and had no-one to take over their shift with me at home, so I ended up going in to hospital, feeling like a total failure, after a day at home. It's ridiculous I felt that way. That's why I urge new mums-to-be to be open-minded, because you don't realise the pressure you're heaping on yourself to have this perfect kind of birth. I'm just glad you appreciate (I didn't!) that if things don't go as planned, then you'll not hold yourself to ransom over it.

My second birth was lovely - birthing pool in a lovely village maternity unit and some gas & air. My rented house then wasn't ideal for the birth.

This time, I'm honestly hoping to have a home birth. I've got quite a big corner bath (I know they're cheesy, blame the last owners!), so I'm going to try and manage with that. The midwife will be under strict instructions to bring gallons (or whatever measurements it is they use) of entonox (gas & air). I'll :puke: all the way through labour -as I did with my last 2 - and, in transition, I'll be saying "I can't do this" and trying to run off, but hopefully, I'll have a healthy baby at the end. Whatever else happens, it's only the last bit that matters.

Oh and the birth was only the start of it. Yes, I'm still an advocate of breastfeeding on demand, but I also used only traditional terry square nappies, made and pureed all my own food, took him to the park every day, swimming, library etc etc. God, I gave myself such a hard time, trying to be this perfect "earth mother" type that I didn't properly relax and enjoy my baby. This time, s/he will be in easy-on nappies, organic (of course!) baby food in jars and will be living in a -probably filthy -babygro (sleepsuit? I'm SO out of touch) until s/he starts school :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back