• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Buying a house thats been repossesed

happy-chick

Reaction score
Right we've just bought a house and are due to pick up keys on Weds :cheer: :cheer: cant wait! Its a repo so im a bit unsure of a few things and wondered can anyone help me out......

How will I find out who supplys the gas/electric to get it turned back on?
How will we ensure that there is no bad debt on the property from the previous owners?
Anything else that we may come across as its a repo?

dont worry about utilites, just phone them, and they will reconnect no problems, they will see your are new vendor of the property.

as with debts etc it wont affect unless a baylifs visit but you just show them your passport or some thing to show your no the person in question and they dont bother you again.

i have been through it with a previous house, you get alot of shitty letters to begin with, but just redirect to sender, after a few months you shouldnt received any bother.

paradysso said:
only 2 days left, u excited?

Yep cant wait :D just wanna get in there and get started with things, feels like we've been waiting forever! lol

Our house was a repo and there were a couple of things we didnt think of:-

1. When we looked around it was full of furniture, nothing good but tons of crap - when we got the keys we were gobsmacked that the house was still full!! Ended up having to empty the house before we could put our stuff in.

2. The heating and water system had been drained down and all the toilets sealed with yellow and black tape - had to get the gas board to rebalance the system.

3. When we turned the electric back on the house alarm went off and we didnt have the alarm code - had to disable the alarm to stop it going off (still havent sorted it 2 years on!!).

Apart from that it was the best thing we did - we got a 4 bedroom house for the price of a 3 bedroom one on the same estate. Also the neighbours were so glad to see us - think they were fed up of all the comings and goings with the last people.

Hope you enjoy your new home :D

Jane x

my house ws a repossession and I had bad cedit rating cos of it - u can check the credit rating with a company (can't remember who) and get it sorted. Its all to do with them checking the house history.

reallyoldmum said:
Our house was a repo and there were a couple of things we didnt think of:-

1. When we looked around it was full of furniture, nothing good but tons of crap - when we got the keys we were gobsmacked that the house was still full!! Ended up having to empty the house before we could put our stuff in.

2. The heating and water system had been drained down and all the toilets sealed with yellow and black tape - had to get the gas board to rebalance the system.

3. When we turned the electric back on the house alarm went off and we didnt have the alarm code - had to disable the alarm to stop it going off (still havent sorted it 2 years on!!).

Apart from that it was the best thing we did - we got a 4 bedroom house for the price of a 3 bedroom one on the same estate. Also the neighbours were so glad to see us - think they were fed up of all the comings and goings with the last people.

Hope you enjoy your new home :D

Jane x

Luckily the house is more or less empty so shouldnt have a problem there.
Did it cost you anything to get everything rebalanced? Theres tape over all the radiators taps and toilet saying do not use so im presuming it will be the same. Thanks!

Bee said:
my house ws a repossession and I had bad cedit rating cos of it - u can check the credit rating with a company (can't remember who) and get it sorted. Its all to do with them checking the house history.

Ahh ok thanks, i'll do some ringing around im sure local authorities will be able to help me? :think:

We were part of the Gas Care scheme so they just came out as part of our contract to be honest - if you DH is handy with DIY it should be quite easy to do but Dave is bloody useless - we didnt realise that the water was turned off at the stopcock for a couple of hours :D :D :D

I am sure if you search on line there is probably some information on how to re-flood a system......

Congrats on the new home. You sound so excited :D

Ours wasn't repossessed, but we had a similar situation with the police coming by on a regular basis. The previous tenants (they weren't the owners, just subletting until the owners sold the house) had a record against them for theft (or I should say many thefts) and unpaid bills. When my DH first moved in, the police were at the door once a week. He had to show his passport to prove he wasn't the one they were looking for. He went to the town hall a few times to have it sorted out . Finally, after 6 months we didn't have the police at our door.

Oh, you should also have any mail from the previous owners sent back unopened. Just write "occupants don't live here any longer". Eventually, mail their mail will not arrive at your place.

register the old tennants with the mailing preference agency too and their mail will stop arriving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qwertyuiop33
Back