bummer

GBLiz

Reaction score
i was researching borth places and discovered that until last year, my home town (hemel hempstead) had a birth centre and a maternity unit- both of which are now closed!

and the next nearest town has also closed its maternity unit (st albans)

this is a huge factor in whats putting me off from going to hospital or birth centre cos the nearest is now watford- which serves all 3 places now- and is half an hour away at the best of times - thats not so bad but its across the town centre ring road which can be gridlocked . Oh and you can never park there

booo :evil: :evil:

I think there's been loads of maternity units across the country closing in the last couple years. Trying to save money it seems.
They tried to close my local one last year but campaigners managed to save it.
It's annoying when the options not there, there's a huge difference between a hospital and home birth.
Maybe have a chat with your midwife about it and see what she suggests.
For me the hospital is 30 mins away and the mat unit about 15 mins. I think you normally have plenty of time to get there, babies being born at the side of the road doesn't happen too often thankfully!

thats pants, but trust me first labours are usually long so you'd probably have plenty of time to get there xx

muppetmummy said:
I think there's been loads of maternity units across the country closing in the last couple years. Trying to save money it seems.
They tried to close my local one last year but campaigners managed to save it.
It's annoying when the options not there, there's a huge difference between a hospital and home birth.
Maybe have a chat with your midwife about it and see what she suggests.
For me the hospital is 30 mins away and the mat unit about 15 mins. I think you normally have plenty of time to get there, babies being born at the side of the road doesn't happen too often thankfully!

he he my home town is Harrow :wink: :wink: :wink:

theres a birth center ryt inbetween my local fish n chip shop and off license 2 mins away lool

Both my cousins had their kids at Watford and two friends of mine too and they had good experiences. Watford os down the road from me :D

Half an hour doesn't seem too far but I know exactly where you're coming from. I'm booked in at a hospital which is at least 1/2 hr away, more if the M6 is jammed and has absolutely SH1T parking. I'm hoping to switch to the midwife led unit which is less than 10 minutes away- much less stress in the long run. I'm sorry that you don't have this as an option, but the positive comments from some of the others posting here should reassure you. :hug:

1/2 hour sounds nice to me :rotfl: mines an hour away!!! and my partner doesnt drive, so will end up taking a train :shock: :rotfl:

half an hour would be fine...but you'd have to go in the middle of the night to make it in half an hour!

to be honest its not the time that is an issue, its the fact that the one hospital has to deal now with 3 large towns..ive been to the hospital for other reasons and i hate it! And add to that i just found out west herts came out WORST OF ALL the country for maternity services.

Plus you can never park there :wall: well ive never had much luck on previous visits.

The thought of being on a ward with other people makes me feel sick . Im not a people person! lol. I even looked up private hospitals and there is only a BUPA and they cant cater for maternity :(

im gonna try for a home birth if i can

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back