Breath holding?!

titch

Reaction score
We have a sensor monitor and it just went off!! :shock:

It never goes off, its so sensitive if Im walking in the room it picks it up from the movement. He mustve stopped breathing for 20 seconds for it to trigger the alarm and it was probably going for 10-15 seconds before it stopped (just as I got to the top of the stairs)

OMG it scared the days out of me, I was up the stairs so fast, and halfway up I thought, s**t I shouldve called OH before i went up, he cant hear us from downstairs. I started to think I was gonna have to do CPR on my own :shock:

so anyway, back to the point, he has a croupy cough at the mo. I woudnt have known anything was wrong if it werent for the alarm though. I wasnt that worried about his cough as he has chickenpox at the moment anyway, but now Im worrying myself silly over it :oooo: any words of wisdom?!

sorry I can't help hun, that must have been so scary though!! Could it not also have been a problem with the monitor?

Yeah it couldve been. It happened again at 4am. I think the sound of the alarm make him stir out of a deep sleep so he moves and the alarm turns back off. Its worrying me though cos he has a cough right now :/

Was he still in the middle of the cot? Zacs always goes off because he gets himself to the top/bottom of the cot and the sensor doesn't pick him up, still scary though! X

Tiny this happened to us and I proper shat myself! (well not actualy but very nearly!) I think sometimes they must just hold their breaths?! At least you have the monitor for peace of mind? Hope it doesn't go off again! Ours goes off now about once every few weeks, I think it's just breath holding, sometimes he is squidged right at the top of the cot and that makes it go off.

How do you use the monitor with a cot? We have Ollie still in his crib so not too far to move around so always within the pad range but want to move him to his cot at the weekend but unsure whether the sensor mat would work just as well cos we love this monitor!!

How do you use the monitor with a cot? We have Ollie still in his crib so not too far to move around so always within the pad range but want to move him to his cot at the weekend but unsure whether the sensor mat would work just as well cos we love this monitor!!

You have to put a piece of plywood underneath so it's not sitting on the slats, it works well except if they go horizontal across the top or bottom of the cot, it still gives me peace of mind x

Islas still works even if she's nowhere near the pad! I have the sensitivity on high which helps.

Hers made a funny noise the other day which was unusual, not the normal alarm tho. You must have been so scared :(

You have to put a piece of plywood underneath so it's not sitting on the slats, it works well except if they go horizontal across the top or bottom of the cot, it still gives me peace of mind x

I've got mine on the slats and have done since November! Whoops!

Oh well, if it works I don't suppose it matters x

yes we have ours on the slats too-maybe why it goes off abit?
also must turn up sensitivty -think it's only on 2.

Ours is on the slats too, but it has been since christmas and its never gone off no matter where he goes in the cot. Maybe something has changed with the settings, Ill have a peek. I bloomin love the sensor monitors! I cant believe I never really wanted one before!

call your doc in the morning or health visitor, I always say this though, I think I can be a bit neurotic actually my friends and family think I am very neurotic but do you know what, better safe than sorry, speak to the professionals babe xxx

Tried the sensor mat on the slats, turned it on and placed Ollie in different places in the cot (think he thought I was a mad mummy putting him at the top, then bottom, against the bars, diagonally and anywhere else I could think of) and it worked perfect - is in his cot as I type and all quiet so far :)

I always used it on the slats for matty (4) and do now with kieron. His has gone off a few times-scared me everytime-think the alarm made him take a breath iykwim? Not sure y it went off but soooo glad we have it xx

yeah I know what you mean, I think the alarm does make them kind of jump and take a breath if theyre holding their breath. My sister used to have breath holding attacks when she was a toddler, so scary for my mum!

Thank you for this thread, i never knew there were things like this! i always remember when my sister left her 3month old baby with me at the last min while i was staying at another family members place (foster care) for two weeks!!! And this baby when she cried she would hold her breath till her face turned blue!! i was so scared for two weeks i don't think i slept once. i was 15 at the time and well trained with babies, since at this other home i was the oldest and had to take care of the littlies, the aunt i was staying with did nothing and just told me that it wasn't her problem! now when i look back on it i'm very proud to say that i can handle myself but i wish i had that mat!!!!

What sensors do you ladies have and how much did they cost you? xxx

Mines the tommee tippee and cost 100. Had one with dd too they are great really put your mind at rest x

I have the angel care one it was 56 quid on kiddicare think it's about 80 in the shops

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waqas432
Back