Breastfeeding

kristal

Reaction score
Hi all

Well my little girl decided to make an appearance monday after 15 hours of labour.
Since then she wasnt feeding very well, she was having a feed say once every five to six hours for a while but now since yesterday afternoon (after I had gone to get her formula milk to see if she would respond better to that) she took the breast again and now she seems to be feeding every hour or so, now while I am glad she is feeding, I am thinking that maybe this is a little too much? (well my breasts seem to think so, they are hurting like mad!) so does anyone know if this sudden change in appetite is right and if the amount she is feeding is right? normally the feeds last for 20 minutes but she does have some that last for five, also, does anyone have any tips for getting wind up a she is really stubborn and wont get any up :(

That sounds quite normal, she is making up for less feed earlier on when she was very sleepy.

Do you have any nipple cream? I would suggest using that. I would also recommend that you goto a breastfeeding support clinic near you, to make sure you are getting a good latch and she is not nipple sucking which is painful.

Congrats Kristal!

I am no expert but I think it is recommended that a newborn suckles whenever they want to send a message to the brain about how much milk you need. It seems endless at first but she will get used to feeding really quickly and you will probably settle into a pattern of every couple of hours.

I have now been breastfeeding for nearly 7 weeks and have my ups and downs but its now a doddle so stick with it its so worth it! there is a great thread under the health section for new Mummies - breastfeeding support where there are a few ladies who really know what they are talking about!

I use infacol for getting my LO's wind up, its great :)

nothing against what your saying skatty but personally if she isnt colicy and clearly in alot of pain then i wouldnt use infacol just to get wind up, its a medicine and should only be used when needed not on a whim, i use it for jakob cause he has colic and his tummy is agony for him as is leorahs :(....breastfed babies dont always burp as forumula babies usually do so dont worry about that. but you can try patting back 10 times, moving hand in cirular motions 10 times repeating if needed, if she still dosnt burp she propably dosnt need to.

the feeding as fine as the others said she is making up for lost time she willl soon start feeding abit less but at about 10 days you will notice erratic and constant feeding again, dont worry its just a growth spurt and it will last 1-3 days.

hth cas x

ps: CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW ARRIVAL :cheer: :D

Yeah, sorry I agree with cassi, I just assumed the winding was a problem. Some babies just don't burp and Leorah sometimes doesn't in the night as she feeds slower and just falls asleep :)

Hiya Kristal well done for sticking with the breastfeeding! The girls have given you some great advice, the feeding routine you have does sound very normal, but it will settle down soon.

Congratulations on your little girl.

The girls have said it all really but I just wanted to reiterate that things do settle down (even if it feels like they never will). You are doing a great job and definitely check out the Breastfeeding support thread in the "First year, feeding & nutrition" section.

Good luck :D

skatty said:
Yeah, sorry I agree with cassi, I just assumed the winding was a problem. Some babies just don't burp and Leorah sometimes doesn't in the night as she feeds slower and just falls asleep :)

phew :D i was worried you might take it as me being nasty, im glad you didnt hun :)

cas xx

well done hun

i have just stopped breast feeding at seven and a half months.
lauren was like how your little one is, did't feed that much then all of a sudden it was every half an hour.
they get them selfs into a rounte, and have as much or little as they need.
i have found that the best way to bring up wind is to put one hand on their back, and gently rock them. forward to back, it might take a minute or two. but different things work for different people.

good luck

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back