breastfeeding and weight gain

beanie

Reaction score
I know that breastfed babies don't normally gain weight the same as as formula fed babies, and that this can show them as not gaining enough (even though they are) but am wondering about weight gain. I guess I am feeling less confident as have been exclusively breast feeding the last couple of days and when I got Seren weighed this morning she had only put on 2 1/2 oz in six days. Usually she gains well, about an ounce a day sometimes more but this is the first week that it has not happened. Of course I am now convinced my milk is rubbish even though the logical side of me is saying that a top up of formula once a day cannot be responsible for all the previous weight gains. I just want this breast feeding lark to be straightforward, everywek there seems to be yet another problem to overcome. Seren seeems to be feeding ok, she is giving plently of wet nappies and her poos look normal. Has anyone's elses baby only put a little on during one week?

Rubie is the same age and she hardly gained last week too, she always gains loads but last week she didn't, so I guess it must be normal, don't worry. :D

I read in the Bounty book that b/f put on more in the beginning and then it slows (perhaps its the slowing time now, surely if she still put on nearly 1/2lb a week she'd get really big?), whereas f/f babies put on less at first then start building up their fat stores. I'm having Ella weighed for the first time in 3 weeks tomorrow, I think she'll be over 12lb now but who knows. Her head weighs a bloody ton!

Oscar is gaining weight really slowly, but meeting the expected amount of around 200g a week. I suspect that when I take him to get weighed this week, that he'll be around 10 pounds plus. He's a wee skinny malinky, but very long. Was 52cm at birth and at 6 week check measured 57cm. I'm not too worried - he's growing well, VERY alert, smiles, happy, plenty wet and pooey nappies.
Don't worry Beanie - Seren will show the way. On the pics she looks just great and certainly not on the starving side! :D
Emilia xx

Thanks for your reassurances, I was just so low after getting her weighed, and OH didn't help with his comment i was going a bit over the top (such a daft thing to say to a hormonal mum). After disposing of his body I read the same thing in the bounty book, I guess if Seren did keep growing at that rate she would be huge (she's 12lb 12 1/2 and her clothes are getting a bit snug now).

Had to laugh at the phrase skinny malinky, my dad used to sing that song to me when I was little :D

Thanks again, you,ve put my mind at rest xxx

It is perfectly normal for babies to gain lots of weight one week and less the next week, this is why my health visitor said not to have your baby weighed very week because it will only make you worry. She recomended every 2weeks at the most, as long as your baby is within the lines on her growth chart in the recod book (if you have one?) then there is no need to worry.

Damien is about the same age and has slowed recently. He went from putting 12oz on one week, then 13oz 7 days later, then 5oz 7 days later, and on Saturday 5 days later he had lost weight. Not bothered though - he is still fat :D

i think its if they drop 2 lines very quickly then you should worry. xxx

Here goes....

Skinny Makinky
long legs,
big banana feet,
went to the pictures
but could 'ne find a seat,
when the picture started
Skinny Malinky farted....
Skinny Malinky -
long legs
big banana feet!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yay :D :D :D :D :D :D

that has really cheered me up, though Seren doesn't seem to be a fan. oh well can't please everyone. Thnak you Emilia :D

Just got Ella weighed, she'd gained 1lb 7oz since she was weighed last (3 weeks ago) and now weighs a hefty 12lb 3oz (she was 6lb 8.5oz at birth). It's definately slowing though, she was gaining over 1lb a week in the beginning.

Hello

Im breats feeding and she gained more in the beginning as well three weeks ago she was 9 pounds 12 ounces and today she is 11 pounds 4 ounces.
Dont worry all babies are different as well.
Katrina

beanie said:
I know that breastfed babies don't normally gain weight the same as as formula fed babies, and that this can show them as not gaining enough (even though they are) but am wondering about weight gain. I guess I am feeling less confident as have been exclusively breast feeding the last couple of days and when I got Seren weighed this morning she had only put on 2 1/2 oz in six days. Usually she gains well, about an ounce a day sometimes more but this is the first week that it has not happened. Of course I am now convinced my milk is rubbish even though the logical side of me is saying that a top up of formula once a day cannot be responsible for all the previous weight gains. I just want this breast feeding lark to be straightforward, everywek there seems to be yet another problem to overcome. Seren seeems to be feeding ok, she is giving plently of wet nappies and her poos look normal. Has anyone's elses baby only put a little on during one week?

yes my first little girl gained weight slowly. I breastfed her and they told me that it was perfectly normal. So long as she was gaining weiht and not losing it. Don't worry about it. The more you worry the more your milk supply will be affected. Just remember as long as shes gaining weight its ok :)

Hi Beanie...
We're in the same boat! Oscar was weighed on Thursday and hardly gained anything. Still, he's got all the right amount of wet nappies and doing good poos. I do wonder whether I'm giving him what he needs, especially now that he's up some often during the night. BUT......... I'm not giving up just yet. He's a contented baby and growing lenght wise. I'm not going to worry about his weight gain - the HV is very happy with his weight and told me on Thursday that I can't expect him to continue to gain like he did in the beginning.
Let's not worry hey, pm me if you want to chat.
Chin up! :wink:
Emilia xx

Remember there's nothing that says going onto the bottle will make a baby put on weight. Plenty of bottlefed babies don't put on weight either. Brody has little spurts then will slow down again weight wise, but I'm not worried, I know I am giving him the best I can :)

Had Seren weighed on Weds and she was 13lbs 5 oz so has put on about 10oz I think. Feel better now about it, just get so worried about if I am feeding her correctly....something must be going in. Thanks again for all your responses, you helped me feel less anxious :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back