breastfed/clingy/crying baby???

madmish

Reaction score
jamie is being breastfed,he his 7 weeks old. the feeding is going really well,and i am enjoying it, as is jamie, but if he's not sleeping or feeding, he cries constantly. if i put him to the breast he stops crying, even if i know he's not hungry. most of the time when he's not hungry, but wants to be at the breast, he just has one suck then just keeps the nipple in his mouth and falls asleep. it's like he's using me as a dummy.anyone else have this problem? i don't mind most of the time, but having 3 older kids aswell, it sometimes proves to be difficult to constantly have him at the breast! i don't want him to use me as a dummy, but i usually give in because i can't bear the screaming...HELP!!! :wall:

ellouise was the same, so i give her a dummy when she is doing this!

we tried a dummy too, but he just spits it out. :?

hmmm have u tried holding it in place for 5 seconds or so madam spits hers out straight away so if u hold it whilst she calms down she then sits there sucking on it "maggie" style...

yeah we tried holding it, but he seems to get more worked up and stressed. it gets to the point where i think about givivng up breastfeeding sometimes.but then when i see him suckling,he melts my heart!!!

madmish said:
yeah we tried holding it, but he seems to get more worked up and stressed. it gets to the point where i think about givivng up breastfeeding sometimes.but then when i see him suckling,he melts my heart!!!

Olivia is the same and I felt the same as you too, she hates the dummy and give into her most of the time but I put her blanket in with her ( that is normaly with me so has my smell) and she stopped :shock: and fell alseep for four hours :cheer: or maybe there is an underlying reason as to why he always wants to be comforted :think:

Hi

Olivia used to be unsettled if she wasn't on the boob. She sometimes took a dummy but if she spat it out I popped her in the sling (I have a coorie pouch where the baby lies snuggled into your body very snug) and that settled her. I took her to a Cranial osteopath when she was very young and was told she had a slight compression from birth which although wasn't bad enough for treatment she said it would improve in a couple of weeks ... she was right as Olivia settled much better in between feeds soon after.

Lucy

Interesting topic - Logan has been like this for the past few days ( i think he has bad colic) I too have bought a sling and have found that going for a walk outside calms him. But basically if he is awake he wants to feed.

I have tried a dummy and he took it and fell asleep so I am now wondering if it is ok for him to have a dummy as well as breast feed.... doe this confuse them? I don't want him to have it all the time - just to help him settle when he is restless...

Sounds alot like Elora. Everytime she was grumpy Id put her to the breat thinking she wanted food but didnt. She would fall asleep next to my boob or with it in her mouth. Just wanted comfort from me. So I gave her a dummy... which she hated... so I put abit of my boob milk on the dummy and she finall y took it. She knows the difference and it has far from confussed her. :)

Could you try experimenting with different dummies? I think some are more nipple like.

we have used an orthodontic one today and I have had some peace! :dance: Logan fell asleep about 5 seconds after having it!

Lyndsey said:
we have used an orthodontic one today and I have had some peace! :dance: Logan fell asleep about 5 seconds after having it!

Olivia hates the orthodontic ones for a matter of fact she hates everyone I have tryed ( 6 different ones !! :x ) and only likes my nipples :doh: , what can you do ay :| :roll:

Tasha20 said:
Olivia hates the orthodontic ones for a matter of fact she hates everyone I have tryed ( 6 different ones !! :x ) and only likes my nipples :doh: , what can you do ay :| :roll:

same here!!! :wall:

The only thing I can suggest and what I do is, I settle her with a feed, whens shes asleep I move her into her car seat ( removed bumper and put a cushiony blanket in it) she will stir and moan for abit so I rock her with her in it, the first few times I did that she moaned like I dont know what! :lol: but after that she was fine, during the day after feeds and when shes sleepy I put her straight into her car seat again.

She knows that were she sleeps, but the only problem now is I give up at 2 in the morning and put her in bed with me to cary on feeding :lol: so she now expects it every night, but hey I dont mind I get a few hours to get cuddles from OH and I get a further 3 hours sleep :D

he seems to bw alot calmer now, i think i will put it down to him getting his first tooth so early.i din't even consider he could be teething from 6/7 weeks old!!! :shock:

i know finley is only 4 days old, but he has already started using my breast as a dummy, i didnt want to give him a dummy but ive given in, and yesterday he slept for a long stretch with it, and the same today, he was more settled in the night last night too. I was getting concerned that he wasnt feeding enough as he was falling asleep within 4 sucks of being on my breast, think he just likes the comfort thing, but with me also having 2 kids to look after i cant sit there all day being a dummy for him.

Reassuring to know that im not the only one going through this, even though this is my 3rd its the 1st time ive experienced baby using me as a dummy even though other 2 were breastfed as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back