• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Breastfed baby won't have bottle

michelles1985

Reaction score
I have tried a few times and he will not have a bottle. He just cries. Joshua is 5 months old now and I don't feel like i can have a life. I have been invited out for a drink and would love to go but I cannot breastfeed my baby then. But if he won't take to a bottle, what can I do? Any advice on how to get him to take a bottle?

Many thanks x

Have u tried different teats/bottles? Henry wouldn't have the ones I bought when pg, I've just tried him on mam ones and he has taken from them x

My baby is the same and I have tried many different bottles and teats. My mom said I was this way and she ended up giving me a sippy cup which worked. I am thinking that is what I will be doing with K too. I will be watching to see if anyone has any secrets that will help her take a bottle though!

Exactly the situation I'm in! I've brought Tyler a tommee tipper which isn't going great BUT I was told when they start on solids their muscles change so they find it easier

I had a convo with the health visitor about this and she told me (rather annoyingly I'm sure for some people) that babies who aren't introduced to a teat early in their lives will most often refuse it later. She said to me if Tilly hadn't had a bottle by this age (10 weeks) she'd probably not take to one ever and go straight onto sippy cups when she was 6 months.

Tilly used to take a bottle no problem but appears to have gone on strike.

I am going to try again tonight, hubby is going to do it at the late feed.

The health visitor advised that we use an orthodontic teat (NUK do these and probably others as well) and try when she's hungriest. She advised that it wasn't me giving it as well as babies aren't stupid and why would she take it when she knows she can have booby.

Good luck hun

plus if you dont keep giving the bottle at least once every few days they forget and refuse it too. cant really suggest anything hun

I had a convo with the health visitor about this and she told me (rather annoyingly I'm sure for some people) that babies who aren't introduced to a teat early in their lives will most often refuse it later. She said to me if Tilly hadn't had a bottle by this age (10 weeks) she'd probably not take to one ever and go straight onto sippy cups when she was 6 months.

Tilly used to take a bottle no problem but appears to have gone on strike.

I am going to try again tonight, hubby is going to do it at the late feed.

The health visitor advised that we use an orthodontic teat (NUK do these and probably others as well) and try when she's hungriest. She advised that it wasn't me giving it as well as babies aren't stupid and why would she take it when she knows she can have booby.

Good luck hun

I was told not to do it when starving hungry (why can no one agree on anything when it comes to parenting?) so try both!

I was also told to carry baby around while giving bottle to distract.

No idea pinky. The inconsistent advice really gets on my norks.

I can half see the logic behind doing it when hungry, not upset and crying but ready for a good feed etc

I'll be trying anything though cos I really do not like the fact that I am the sole source of nutrition to this child.

Oh god I just invested in an expensive breast pump as well! I have used a cup to feed him in the past so that's always plan B.

I know a friend with this issue and baby around same age and she uses a TT sippy cup I think. Since LO not far off 6 months it may well b worth trying this if u can't crack the bottle issue? It's v tough when no one else can feed except u so u have done fab to keep going! Xx

I know a friend with this issue and baby around same age and she uses a TT sippy cup I think. Since LO not far off 6 months it may well b worth trying this if u can't crack the bottle issue? It's v tough when no one else can feed except u so u have done fab to keep going! Xx

TT cups can be used from 4 months :)

Same situation and i have just bought two different TT cups so going to try them over the weekend. x

Thanks for all the advice ladies. I tried him with the bottle over the weekend and with a little cup but not a TT one. I even tried spoon feeding him but he refused all methods. Will just have to keep trying and perservere with it. I don't mind breastfeeding but as I will be returning to work soon, I know I need to find another way to feed him.

If anyone tries anything that works, could you let me know????

Many Thanks for all of your support.

xxxxxxxx

I had a convo with the health visitor about this and she told me (rather annoyingly I'm sure for some people) that babies who aren't introduced to a teat early in their lives will most often refuse it later.
Good luck hun

I've been wondering about that lately!! Everyone goes on about not using bottles for nipple confusion and LOs rejecting breast - but there seems to be a LOT of girls on here having this problem. Kinda makes you wonder about the advice they give out. No wonder we get confused.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help anyone in the situation - just pondering.

Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Could you try the bottle when he's sleepy??! My LO went on boob strike for 24hours and I was told to try and feed her when she's not properly awake, so she doesn't think about it. I'm not sure if it would work the other way - but sorta like a dream feed, slip the bottle in when he's still not properly aware of what's going on iykwim.

Xxx

Could you try the bottle when he's sleepy??! My LO went on boob strike for 24hours and I was told to try and feed her when she's not properly awake, so she doesn't think about it. I'm not sure if it would work the other way - but sorta like a dream feed, slip the bottle in when he's still not properly aware of what's going on iykwim.

Xxx

Might try that one. Never thought of doing that. I'll try anything :) x

Could you start feeding with boob on a late feed (when sleepy) and switch to bottle half way and hope he takes it? maybe if he just carries on getting milk he wont care? Thats how i get Alices dummy in instead of bottle when she is feeding for comfort and will make herself sick! xx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back