Breast reduction and breastfeeding?

debecca

Reaction score
Hello! :wave:

Has anyone here had any experience of breastfeeding (or, alternatively, not being able to breastfeed) after a reduction? I am not really sure what to expect and neither my midwife nor my doctor have ever seen any ladies in this situation.

How soon will I know if I can? What are signs and symptoms I can look out for?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks for any help and advice! :hug:

Sorry no advice. My SIL had a breast reduction on the one size (to even up the sizes as it was causing back problems). She asked this question before having the operation and was told she should be able to BF but may have a problems. Would be really interested in knowing how you get on. I also believe from what she was saying it is dependant on the technique they used, don't know any more info though. Sorry. Good luck anyway and I would recommend finding out where your local BF clinic are and visit them as soon as your LO is born.

Yes it is stillpossible to breastfeed after breast reduction but as Nicky said it does depend on the type of surgery you had. Kellymom.com is a great resource for breastfeeding concerns and I found these articles for you, plus there is alink to a website. Hope these help :)

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom ... rgery.html

Aw thanks both of you! That link is fab and I didn't know there were such things as BF clinics so I will ask my midwife lots of questions in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back