Bottle to cup help pleeeeeeease!

sazzylou

Reaction score
Well...Iz shouldnt be taking her milk from a bottle anymore, its time she was on cups.But she hates cups. Seemingly all cups :( My mum did manage to get her a tommee tippee trainer cup, but the teat split and has now been discontinued!!! :shakehead: Thats the only one she would take it from :( Anyway, so we bought her a new one yesterday...
http://beanbabies.co.uk/index.php?act=v ... ductId=424 and she HATES it. I thought maybe in themorning, when she's starving and wants her milk she would take it, but noooooooooooooooo, she pushes it away :wall:

What cups did you use after getting rid of bottle and how did you get your baby to use it? Because for some reason this little petty thing is really stressing me out and i could use some advice :D

thanks xxxx

Have you tried just giving her a normal cup without any kind of spout/lid, such as we would drink from? It can be extremely messy obviously, but can also be a blessing in disguise once they learn to do it properly. We did it with my son and made a big deal out of him drinking from a grown-up cup and he took to it really well after a couple of weeks of constant supervision and lots of spills :lol:

I wouldn't stress yourself out too much yet! They recommend that you change by a year, and even then I have benn told that as long as it is only milk and you brush their teeth really well, you don't have to worry too much!

We have tried every cup under the sun and Ella still won't drink from them, I will still be giving her a bottle when she starts school at this rate! I am going to go with an open cup next as she drinks water from her Doidy cup quite well.

I haven't tried with milk yet, but at about 6 months we introduced the Tommee Tippee one with a spout but that drips everywhere - and we filled it with water or juice and introduced it at meal times so it became something new with the food. She took to it pretty well - does Iz take a cup like this with her food or anything?

We haven't tried to change from the bottles yet and won't do for some time but she's down to 2 a day anyway so I might just go straight to a plastic cup with no lid.

I'm probably a bad mother but whenever I'm having a drink out of a glass or something in a cafe Connie has a bit of mine and she can drink pretty well out of a cup with no lid now (not with her holding it, but then she doesn't hold her own bottles either)... might be worth starting doing this and then swap to her milk in a cup with no lid?

Good luck :hug:

I forgot to say that Ella will drink water from a cup no probs, just not milk :wall: I think that she likes the comfort of drinking from a bottle.

Bex, I must be a bad mum too as I do the exact same thing, that is how I know that Ella is good with an open vup!

We have the same problem aswell! OH is getting fed up with the amount of sippy cups I'm buying! :oops:

The thing is though, she drinks milk from a TT CTN bottle, but she won't take much water out of one. On holiday she would take water from the TT sippy cup, the one where they have to chew and suck at the same time..Now she doesn't want to know. She will take water a little bit from a free flow spout..but if I put her milk in it she spits it out :wall: She will drink with no lid though, but it's soooo messy!

What's a doidy cup??

poppy160 said:
We have the same problem aswell! OH is getting fed up with the amount of sippy cups I'm buying! :oops:

The thing is though, she drinks milk from a TT CTN bottle, but she won't take much water out of one. On holiday she would take water from the TT sippy cup, the one where they have to chew and suck at the same time..Now she doesn't want to know. She will take water a little bit from a free flow spout..but if I put her milk in it she spits it out :wall: She will drink with no lid though, but it's soooo messy!

What's a doidy cup??

One of these:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230409356/Prod ... urce=14798

Supposedly makes it easier for them to drink from an open cup, I find it easier when I am holding the cup as I can see in and therefore don't tip water all down her front as I do with a normal cup!

*Cupcake* said:

That one looks a bit different and has different packaging, but the teat thingy bit on it certainly does look like the one she had!! I googled it and googled it and i couldnt find it ANYWHERE!! Im going to order one and hope its the same :D

Snuggle said:
I had the exact same problem hun and it took me months to get Maddison to take a cup. I eventually managed to get her to take this one http://www.mothercare.com/MAM-transitio ... B0011EV2D8 after trying about 30 different ones! :hug:

Im also going to order this one, just in case :lol: I can see me spending large sums of money on bloody cups until she gets one she likes.....

debecca said:
I haven't tried with milk yet, but at about 6 months we introduced the Tommee Tippee one with a spout but that drips everywhere - and we filled it with water or juice and introduced it at meal times so it became something new with the food. She took to it pretty well - does Iz take a cup like this with her food or anything?

Oh she does...and its spit city :rotfl: She'll take a massive big mouthful and just spit it down her front and laugh :shock: Im not sure she actually swallows any at all :lol:

She's had a go with my drinks to, out of a normal cup and she's suprisingly good, so this is deffo something to think about if my quest for a cup goes boobies up!

Magic Monkey said:
I forgot to say that Ella will drink water from a cup no probs, just not milk :wall: I think that she likes the comfort of drinking from a bottle.

This is why im so desperate to get Iz off her bottle now. Beth got very overly attatched to he bottle, and still wanted milk out of it when she was over 2 :oops: We never replaced the teat and eventually there was just a gaping hole there and she chucked it in the end, but im worried Iz will do the same so i really want her off them now.

Anyway! THANK YOU ladies for all your advice!! :cheer: :hug: :hug: :hug: Im off to order some cups.... :wink:

Sarah... the ones on this page are brill:
http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/t ... it_girls_/

One of them has a teat like the other site (that you said was similar). They sell them in Tescos - its the one on the very right.

I also highly recommend the second one from the left. Its a 'straw' variflow teat thing. Phoebe now has all of her milk from these. They are like a bottle so easier to progress to I felt - and it worked! She'll also drink 4-5oz of water a day from them. We have purple ones for milk, and a yellow one for water so she doesn't get confused. It says 12m + on the outside of the packaging, but on the inside it says straws are only unsuitable under 6 months.

41bHlIVbIlL._SS500_.jpg

ETA I got the straw ones from Tescos too. I think they sell them in Boots too.

thank you Lara!! :hug: These ones look pretty good :D OH gets paid tomorrow so he said i can go sippy cup crazy :lol: Think im gonna head down to Tesco and check out what theyve got. At least now ive got a better idea of what im after. Our local tesco is mahoosive and i was honestly lost in the amount of different cups there were and didnt know what to choose.....so i ended up buying one she hates :roll: :lol:

Just hope she takes to them....She can be a right difficult little madam at times, gawd love 'er

We've had the same problem, spent a fortune on all sorts of training cups.
In the end, it was the cheapest cup that came out best. We bought a pack of Boots Essentials lidded cups (£2 for 4) which have a free-flowing spout and LO has taken to this with no problems. Only moan about these cups are that you can't close the spout off, so if you need to take them out and about, you can't have any liquids in them, but for the price, I can't really complain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back