• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bottle feeding on demand - advice please

pinkymum

Reaction score
Emily really likes her food she was feeding every 3-4 hours taking between 90 and 120mls each feed. Some nights she was going 5 hrs and I was told that was ok.
This last couple of days she's sometimes taking 120 and an hour and a half later she's looking for more food. I gave her another bottle after 2 hours and she takes 10mls and then falls asleep. Am I supposed to be giving her a feed when she's looking for one or is there something else I should be doing? I've tried a dummy, she'll take it for a bit and spit it out, other times she just cries at it. She throws up if she gulps her milk too quickly! I was told to try a dummy.
I'm confused!

Also she often falls asleep during a feed if I put her down she wakes up so I've tried giving her a break and changing her nappy.

i used to feed on demand and if she looked i gave, tbh we used room temp bottles so there was no waste so still used it for next feed, she will prob settle into her own routine but maybe try upping her bottles slightly?? also u need to change ur ticker lol so we can know what age she is when answering haha!! :D xxx

I kind of demand feeded but Herbie would of had a bottle on the hour every hour if id of let him,
And like you say if it's too close to there last feed they don't seem to take much of it.
So I always made him wait at least 2 hours just giving him his dummy and walking about.
He started sleeping through at 5wks so in the day I let him have as many bottles as he wanted
I don't think I've really helped you lol

Thanks girls,

the last 2 feeds she's taken less so I'm thinking she's just more hungry at different times. I just worry because I know what health visitors can be like " oh you're baby is overweight" or "you're baby is underweight" Two of my friends have been quite upset over the weight thing even when they're babies look perfectly healthy. Emily seems content thought :)

L I updated my ticker :D

it could be a growth spurt?? they happen fairly regularly!

Could she be thirsty more than hungry?

And regards the HVs I wouldn't worry too much unless she has serious weight gain issues as each one you see will have a totally different opinion and will send you round in circles lol

And regards the HVs I wouldn't worry too much unless she has serious weight gain issues as each one you see will have a totally different opinion and will send you round in circles lol

Could be hun, no idea :lol: not much use me! :lol: I've read some people giving their LO's cooled boiled water? Is she too young for that? She's been very settled today, and hasn't been looking for more. I've read babies feed more at night, maybe thats the case?

Think I'm probably worrying too much, she's slept most of today and I'm thinking "oh no is she sleeping too much" :eh::lol:

love the ticker!!! :) helps a lot when people ask for advice i think!! xx

Could be hun, no idea :lol: not much use me! :lol: I've read some people giving their LO's cooled boiled water? Is she too young for that? She's been very settled today, and hasn't been looking for more. I've read babies feed more at night, maybe thats the case?

Think I'm probably worrying too much, she's slept most of today and I'm thinking "oh no is she sleeping too much" :eh::lol:

On the Cow & Gate box it says water can be given between feeds, buuuut for a week old LO I don't know if I'd give water just yet, maybe at 1-2 mths old. I'd just keep going with the little top ups for now.

I used to worry about everything too, sleeping too much/not enough/feeding/smiling/laughing lol

Took me til he was about 3 months to relax into this mummy business lol

xxxx

When babies are so young they feed and feed and feed and feed :tired: This in my experience, both of bf and ff; happens in each case. I've never had a a newborn baby who fed 4-5 hourly. 5 hours is fantastic at night :)

It does get better though :)

hey hun, i literally have always fed on demand, the first 6 weeks i felt thats all i was doing as baby fed every 1-2 hours, i still feed on demand now but LO always puts himself into his own routines and drops feeds, moves them to suit his bedtime himself so its always worked well for us! in fact just this week he has dropped his 2nd feed of the day so only on 3 bottles a day. just go with ur mothers instinct hun, no one will know ur lil one like u xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briguebbon
Back