Books - Can anyone recomend a good book about pregnancy etc?

sarahAnn

Reaction score
I have only just found out I am pregnant and would like to buy a book about what to expect. Can anyone recomend one??

I've got 2 -

One is Miriam Stoppards Conception, Pregnancy & Birth and it covers absolutely everything. Only thing I dont like about it is the babies development is only covered monthly (6 weeks, 10 weeks..etc) whereas I like seeing whats happening week by week!

The other one is A rough guide to Pregnancy & Birth by Kaz Cooke, its sort of written as a humourous week by week diary and also includes bits of info on all sorts of pregnancy stuff. It goes into quite alot of detail about the different stages of pregnancy but has no photos of babies in the womb and stuff like that.

I wanna buy What to expect when you're expecting, anyone know if its any good? :)

hey sarahAnn i made a post on my "pregnancy for dummies book" here is the link:

http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 537#235537

ive put what each of the chapters are. Its says in the link that the book was £15 rrp but you can get it from amazon new for £8.99 or used from £1.89 (sorry i dont know how much mine was because my sister bought it for me). :D

x-kirsty-x said:
I wanna buy What to expect when you're expecting, anyone know if its any good? :)

I have this book and I find it very re-assuring and useful.

i have what to expect too it is like a bible, very good

What to Expect when You're Expecting is FANTASTIC!
I would highly recommend it.
It has answers to EVERYTHING - really helpful.

I have found the bounty and Emma's diary books useful (from midwife in preg pack), and for more detailed wekly development the pampers website is great. Sign up and you get weekly/monthly updates, plus you can check them on the website. Smartmomma.com is also excellant. Another website that is good for preg questions (wk by wk/what happens in labour and other things) is pregnancy.about.com.

Hiya,

I have bought quite a few books.

I personally found the miriam stoppard books a bit patronising. They have some very useful stuff in there, but also some odd things. Liking telling your husband not to draw attention to your weight, and things like that!! And they assume once your pregnant you wear an ugle smock and gaxe out of the window with a dumb look on your face!!

I have the rough guide to pregnancy. This was great and very funny and cheered me up.

The best friends guide to pregnancy was also funny but a bit depressing. The last thing i want to hear is that after baby my boobs will be flat and saggy and i will never regain my figure, nice!

Abnd what tio expect when youre expecting is good and very factual. Contains everything you might want to know, a bit americanised. But very informative.

Hope that helps,

Laura
xx

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Pregnancy- ... 09-8910320

I have got this book which a friend recommended to me and its very good, gives week by week details.

i also got 'pregnancy for dummies' which was my first book but havent found it that helpful, there arent really any pictures in there and it doesnt go into week by week detail.

Oooooooooo Kirsty I started off with the 2 books you did, and my SiL bought us the book you have Emma 22. I agree with everything you've said about the books, nowt new to add.

Miriam Stoppards books are so oudated though, I mean the info is probably up to date but have you seen the pictures?! The clothes and baby accessories look like they're from the stone age! :lol:

Well the one I have is like that anyway!

I like the baby centre Q&A one, this was published this year

Another great one that was published this year is

'your pregnancy week by week' ( practical parenting)

I love them all!
:D

x-kirsty-x said:
Miriam Stoppards books are so oudated though, I mean the info is probably up to date but have you seen the pictures?! The clothes and baby accessories look like they're from the stone age! :lol:

Well the one I have is like that anyway!

Yeah mine is like that too lol. Like you say I think the info was updated in the last couple of years or so - but those pictures.....

its not a book but i have bought pregnancy and birth magazin a few times i liked it coz the info is very up to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back