Boob help please!

purplebluered

Reaction score
Feeding;s been going well generally, up to last week. I can't find my thread last week asking what the boob pain was...NOT mastitis, thank goodness, if that wasn't mastitis I dread to think what mastitis is like :hug: to anyone that gets it :( it was just blocked milk ducts but not yet infected and cleared up after a day or so.

Anyway LO was faffing about on my right boob last week which is how it got like that, and it got better in the week. But now, LO is faffing about with both boobs, he sucks for a few minutes then comes off screaming. Today was the worst, he refused the boob by screaming, he wouldn't calm down until DH took him and settled him but as soon as I took him, he was fine until I got him into position for feeding and he started screaming, couldn't even latch him on :wall: nappy was fine, we'd burped him. What could it be? It's been like this all day. :wall:

I know that the latch is fine, my nipples are fine. Just can't think for th elife of me what it could be. Not a growth spurt I think. Would gripe water help?

Is he having anything after a bit of a scream? At around 7 weeks Angel went through a fussy stage. She just screamed, i'd get flustered, we'd try again. In the end OH had to take her and i'd try again later. If he's hungry he'll take it eventually. It lasted a couple of weeks. I think it's just a phase.
Perseverance is a word you'll hear a lot. Just stick at it. If he refuses completely then i'd see the GP/HV

Tamzin can be a bit fussy at times. When she does it I usually leave her a bit and try to take her mind off of it by letting her legs free from her sleepsuit or undoing her nappy cos it usually means she's got a bit of belly ache. I also sit her up and point her towards the tv :lol: cos she loves light so it stops her from screaming and then she realises in the end that she's hungry and will feed. Try not to get too flustered because if you tense up then they will as well. If he refuses totally and doesn't feed at all in a day, I would see your gp hun.

there is a chance it could be silent reflux; connor's reflux really flared up at around the same age as your LO.

although connor had the vomiting to go with it, one of the reasons i knew something was wrong was because he was so unhappy and unsettled during feeds. other indications are coughing, arching back whilst feeding and unhappiness at being laid flat.

your LO may just be being fussy though :)

Are you tense at all when you're about to feed? It might be worth getting your latch double checked as if it's not quite right he might not be able to empty the breast efficiently which could cause fussiness.

You could try squeezing you're breast before getting him for a feed so that you see the milk at the nipple then put him to the breast.

Thrush? Has LO got any white spots in his mouth? It can cause pain when feeding. Just a thought xx

hmm i was gonna say growth spurt!

is it the same time every day, esp. in evenings? melissa got like that around 2/3 months and it was coz she needed a bedtime routine (she was going to bed with us previously)

sorry i cant be any more help!

Hmm... :think: thanks for all your diverse replies, never realised there could be so many different causes!! I wonder if it is a growth spurt as he fed for an hour and a half earlier before his bath and bedtime routine :shock: he normally does one feed in 35 mins max. So maybe he was being fussy yesterday and now today he's feeding more and it's all due to a growth spurt. He didn't scream too much today. But he is burping lots more than usual now and posetting lots and lots. To the point that I had to change him and myself this morning :lol:

Definitely something to keep an eye on. He had his first jabs today but don't think it's affected him. Oh the possibilities to the causes are endless arent they! Might pop to see the HV on Friday. I know that the latch is fine. :think: :think:

How do they diagnose a silent reflux? I'd have thought it'd be a difficult one to diagnose??

Thanks for all your replies!!

helen

With my LO silent reflux symptoms were arching her back, breaking off feeding crying and getting very upset after burping, sometimes we could smell the acid on her breath too. She also possetted a lot and we had a few tsunami style puking sessions for a couple of weeks. If you think this might be your LOs problem give Infacol a go, it takes a few days to work but helps get the burps up before the acid builds up too much and definately helped Eva. She was diagnosed and prescribed Infant Gaviscon at her 6 week check as the doc happened to see her screaming in action after all the manipulation he did whilst measuring etc. Fussing is a common thing though with these breastfed bubs, there are regular threads on a similar theme lol :D
Hope your LO sorts it out soon, its hard work eh? :hug: :hug:

Thanks for that, I just wondered what the symptoms were really. Don't think its reflux here, think it's more fussiness. Guess they have their off days too! :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back