BF Question -lop sided breasts! + other questions

Daffodil

Reaction score
Hi

One of my boobs is bigger and fuller than the other. Meadow prefers this boob because presumably the milk flows better from it (?) she fusses on the other boob.

My question is: if I let her feed more from this boob will it fill up more and be even more uneven (bigger than the other). Also how can I encourage her to feed more from the smaller boob? She will feed from it for less time at the moment (like 10 mins, where the bigger one gets 30 mins regularly)

And if she breaks off the smaller one, how do I know if its because she is "finished" or if its just because she wants me to change her over to the boob she likes more?

EDITED to add other Questions: Do I need to express to keep up or build up my supply and deal with growth spurts? I was expressing when Meadow wasn't BF'ing. IF so, when do I express? After feeding her? and how many times a day?

Also if I feed at night lying down in bed, does she still get the same amount and flow of milk from the boob? Also it feels really awkward but obviously I'd like to be able to feed in this position, so does anyone have any tips on how best to feed in this position?

:?

Thanks
Dawn

Calleigh went through disliking being on one boob, to the point of refusing to latch on at all. I kinda got round it by rugby ball holding her on the boob she didnt like.
She may also be coming off earlier on the 'disliked' boob as she may have gotton the majority of the milk from it, so definatley keep offering it her to build up the supply to equal out with the other one.

I'd make sure you use both boobs. You run the risk of blocked ducts or worse if you don't let her feed regularly from them both. Also its the only way to build up your supply. I have one boob that is always more full and has a faster let down than the other. But LO soon learnt how to feed from them both just fine.

If you want to know if you still have milk left give it a squeeze. It might take a little while to get the knack as to see how much milk squirts out but once you have the hang of it you'll soon see if she has more or less emptied it. Best way to learn how much you have I found is...

Let LO feed on boob for a minute or two. Take off and squeeze nipple area to see how much comes out then. Pop back on boob and let LO finish feeding from it. When they pull off squeeze nipple again and see how much then comes out. I used to get milk going in about 10 different directions early on and when LO was more or less done it would only come out in one stream then.

Also your boob will feel much softer and lighter. You should start to learn the difference.

If she appears finished don't just put her on the bigger boob straight away. See if she fusses or appears to be looking for more. I'd always leave my LO on my slower boob and make him work for it a bit longer.

As for expressing, no, don't do that. No need. Let LO feed from you to build up your supply. Should be enough. And same for growth spurts. Nature is great for sorting that out and we don't need to express to prepare for it. Never know quite when it will start in each baby so let your baby guide you and as a growth spurt starts she'll feed more. Just let her feed as often as she wants then and your supply will soon increase to match the demand. Expressing is kind of misleading your body so only do so when you really *need* to. Like going out and someone will have to give her a feed. Then express in the morning when your supply is at its best.

Also you spent all this time to get her to feed from your boobs. Don't go messing with that anytime soon for the sake of an expressed feed unless you really have to. She may prefer bottles over boobs if you start offering them again.

Yeah, keep offering her the boob she doesn't like. Your other boob is only fuller as it's meeting the demands of her feed. She'll eventually take off both, but just keep persevering with the disliked one.

I never expressed during growth spurts as your body is going to meet the demands. The more she's on the boob the more your body should produce. It's an amazing thing our body. If you wish to express do it after her feed, so you know she's had enough.

Lying down to feed is my fave feeding position, obviously not practical all the time but great for the night feeds :)

The way that worked best for me is to pop baby lying on the bed on her back, lie down next to her with boob in line with her mouth then roll her to face boob and latch on :)
Calleighs arm either lies under my boob whilst feeding or she folds it under her face leaning on it. Other arm usually rests on top of my breast, however, lately madam has taken to smacking my face/stick her fingers up me nose and in my eye :lol: Something for you to look forward to :)

My arm on the side i am lying usually goes above her head and i am lay on my side leaning slightly back, it isnt comfortable to lean toward baby plus boob gets squished into the bed :lol:
Basically get yourself comfy and bring baby toward you.

As to milk flow, i have never noticed a difference and baby will be able to remove the milk as normal from the breast in the lying down position

charlie84 said:
Lying down to feed is my fave feeding position, obviously not practical all the time but great for the night feeds :)

The way that worked best for me is to pop baby lying on the bed on her back, lie down next to her with boob in line with her mouth then roll her to face boob and latch on :)
Calleighs arm either lies under my boob whilst feeding or she folds it under her face leaning on it. Other arm usually rests on top of my breast, however, lately madam has taken to smacking my face/stick her fingers up me nose and in my eye :lol: Something for you to look forward to :)

My arm on the side i am lying usually goes above her head and i am lay on my side leaning slightly back, it isnt comfortable to lean toward baby plus boob gets squished into the bed :lol:
Basically get yourself comfy and bring baby toward you.

As to milk flow, i have never noticed a difference and baby will be able to remove the milk as normal from the breast in the lying down position

I second that. But i have to put my bottom arm under a pillow coz i lose feeling in it otherwise.
And yeah, i'm the new punchbag. So much fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back