Baby Walkers...

Rachie

Reaction score
...I know it is recommended that we DON'T use these and I swore I wasn't going to buy one. But my 7 month old is practically walking and gets so frustrated that she can't move around without me, I thought it might be a good idea to get one and let her spin around in it even for short bursts, just as a play thing rather than a walking aid (because I know they're not walking aids). We do have one of the toddle trucks (the little 'flatbeds' with blocks in them) but I worry about her falling on her face so don't let her use it properly yet, except with full supervision from me.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Can you recommend any in particular?

Thanks in advance :)

Rachie XX

I have heard that you are not supposed to use them cause they can tip them down the stairs and things, but unless people are a bit stupid then why would they have a baby in a walker near stairs or anything that they can tip over?. My DS has had one for months now and he goes all over the place in it. As he is getting closer to walking though he prefers to cruise the furniture but we still put him in it when he is into everything and pulling things he shouldnt.

I was the same to start with, adamant that I wouldn't use one.

The health visitors don't recommend them because they can put baby into more danger i.e. being able to reach coffee cups, pull heavy objects off tables etc..

I bought one when my LO was 8/9 months old and he LOVED it. Just make sure you move any coffee/tea cups out of their reach and anything else that might cause any harm.

Always make sure they are supervised whilst in the walker and you'll be fine. I bought the Chicco DJ I think it was. It was a big hit with my LO.

I dont want to start an argument but in the link all the problems in it come down to supervision, provided that child is supervised at all times and things kept out of reach there shouldnt be a problem? and i dont think it has slowed my boys developement in walking down, i think quite the opposite.

Flame said:
I dont want to start an argument but in the link all the problems in it come down to supervision, provided that child is supervised at all times and things kept out of reach there shouldnt be a problem? and i dont think it has slowed my boys developement in walking down, i think quite the opposite.

I know I posted the link but i'm not saying I agree or disagree with the info. I just thought it might be interesting to read :D

:roll: anything can be dangerous if you dont watch your kids properly.

even without a walker, the babe may still be able to pull that boiling hot coffee on him. common sense says, keep all things out of reach of children

can honestly say id not heard of this before.

as for stairs, dont use them upstairs, thats just silly lol (or if you do make sure there is a stair gate there, and if there isnt, baby could fall down with or without the walker)

both mine had a baby walker from about 4 months and it did neither of them any halm and they were in them longer than the recommended time because they loved them and got so much freedom being able to move themselves about and they were both walking unaided at 10 months i wouldnt have been without them

Some research suggests that babies using baby walkers can have problems with their hips and leg muscles. Might be worth googling this?

I know that with my nephew he needed corrective surgery on his feet as he picked up bad habits and walked on the side of his feet whilst in his walker and this affected him as he grew up. After a lot of physio the only option was surgery.

Might be something else to consider if you are considering a walker?

Thanks everyone :) I agree, I think the guidelines may be for people who don't realise a baby walker ISN'T a baby sitter - i.e. it should be used as any other toy or activity, under careful supervision and for limited time. I have seen parents who stick their kids in one and just leave them for hours on end as it keeps them occupied :roll:

I think that goes for the development of leg muscles and hips as well - if they are in them constantly I think it WOULD affect that development, but if you're using it for a limited time it shouldn't have too much detrimental effect...?

Really appreciate all the responses though, it's nice for everyone to take an interest :hug: And I ended up buying the Chicco DJ which is FAB!! My daughter has mastered chasing us around, turning to get what she wants and I really think it is helping her :D

XX

Just a quick afterthought, I wasn't insinuating that your nephew was left in his for too long! Sorry if it came across like that :doh: I just meant as a general rule I think there can't be too much harm done if used in moderation, but every child is different... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back