• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

baby walkers

mrs h

Reaction score
Hi i am thinking of getting a baby walker but was stunned to read on the internet they can be bad for babies by stunting their ability to walk normally and teaches babies to walk on tiptoes.
The other thing i am concerned is the danger in tipping over or babies pushing themselves out of the seat if there is bars either side of the walker.
Has anyone got a baby walker they can reccomend or they a big no no?

I've just been given a baby walker and i think they are a waste of money i wouldn't of brought one myself keeley can go back wards but she is on tip toes even tho she can touch the floor :x so after about 5 minutes i took her out

We brought one for Harrison for Easter, he loves it, he cant walk in it yet but he loves playing with the toys on it. There is research that they're bad for babies walking but it all depends on how long you leave your child in there for, Its recommended not to leave them in for any longer than 20 mins twice a day but Harry only stays in for 10 and he's bored lol :lol:

Jamies in his for a few hours a day and can run around in it as well as walk when held by the hands very well, ever since he was 5mths :wink:

:oops: Alfies in his as we speak. he cant go very far yet he did start of bouncing backwards, hes flat on his feet too, he is tall so can do it at the max height, but the one we have has several height adjustments so that you can make sure they arent on their tip toes, ours is an Obaby one its blue and white in the shaoe of a space ship, he isnt in it often but enjoys it for 10/15 minutes. I got mine from http://www.nicolasnursery.co.uk/ the actual shop is near me but they do deliver it was 45 pounds and i do like it,

Lydia had one but it was very rare she went in it. I think she only went in it a total of about 10 times at the most.

i have one for aimee & she loves it, was one of the cheapest from mothercare.
I mainly got it cause we have ceramic tiles dowstairs which are cold and hard so it was easy to put her in it.
She is also only ever in it for about 15 mins a day but one thing i have to say is i thought she was going to walk early as she mastered the walker early on but she is still not properly walking unaided, she will only walk when aided & does tend to walk on tiptoes ... wether this has hindered her walking im not sure......

This may sound like a stupid question but to everyone who thinks baby walkers are dangerous and dont have one what do you put your baby in when you are doing jobs if your baby doesnt like being on a playmat?

i put rachael in her carrier in front of me and she comes aroyund the house with me :lol:

i got a bjorn carrier for my first and its been invaluble i tell you.

I dont have one as my HV and the midwife at the antinatal classes told me they were bad for babies developing. Arianna can walk really well just holding on to my hands anyway.

mrs h said:
This may sound like a stupid question but to everyone who thinks baby walkers are dangerous and dont have one what do you put your baby in when you are doing jobs if your baby doesnt like being on a playmat?

I don't think baby walkers are dangerous necessarily but Lydia didn't often go in one anyway.
If I had to get some chores done or whatever when she was younger I'd put her in her bouncer with some toys to occupy her.
Then when she was older and crawling, I'd section off an area of room and fill it with toys and let her crawl about.
Sometimes I used a playpen but she wasn't fond of that much.

Now she helps with chores ;) She's a pro at loading and unloading the washing machine lol!

mrs h said:

We have a little swing that she goes in or she plays on the floor with her toys

nathan loved his he used to get up to all sorts in it. he stopped using it when he was 7 months as he started to crawl to get around. hes walking now started at 11 months so i dont think it delayed him. i think theyre fine as long as you dont dump the baby in it all day and dont use it when theyre older.

Alastair got one for easter he loves it!! and so do i, it means i can hoover :rotfl:

Stanley loves his and I'd have totally cracked up without it.

He hates the door bouncer and I couldn't cope with him in a sling around the house. He's so heavy and I'm so little I can't reach past him!

i was given one and altho i didnt wanna use it alot, and we didnt have the space for it in the house, i used it in the garden when i was out in the garden i let ryan play in his walker so i could be with all the kids and not have to worry bout ryan eatin dirt etc...

but some of my friends swear by them, and none of their children have had any probs walkin or anything like that

The reason health visitors don't particularly like them is just because they want to see baby walking with feet flat on the floor when they do a check-up, and baby walkers have them walking on their toes. Of course they can also crash into things or pull drawers open etc.

However, as long as you watch them and teach them to walk properly at other times of the day I don't see a problem. We have one from OHs other children, though it may need cleaning up.

I havent voted as I dont have one but ordered one the other day so should arrive tomorrow. Im actually excited as my step brothers little boy has one and he has so much fun in it. He has just turned one and he walks aided by his mummy and is putting his whole foot down

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back