Baby medicine and a million e numbers, etc

moss

Reaction score
I gave Jacob Calpol after his immunisations today, but I wasn't happy doing it. I had the choice between sugar (argh) and artificial sweetner (arrgh) and both have loads of e numbers. The leaflet warns of the risk of allergies to these unnecessary additives, so why do they add them?! Also, Infacol has those and saccharin, which is known to be bad! Is there a company or store that sells things like paracetamol for babies that is JUST paracetamol? My two month old only know what milk tastes like, so why does he need "strawberry" flavour? :(

http://www.clovelly.org.uk/documents/calpol.html

Funnily enough I came across this page yesterday cos I'd read a post from someone who's Hv had advised calpol to 'test' if her baby was waking through the night through pain or not. I didn't say anything to the mum cos I didn't want to stress her out but it made me sooooo mad :oops: as calpol can CAUSE sleeplesness!
Check out the refrences at bottom of page- 'Alternatives to Calpol'.
:)

I haven't found any alternatives to calpol so I will give them it but only after I have used other things first. Homeopathic remedies such as belladonna and aconite are good for reducing fevers but unless its pretty high I tend to leave them as a fever is the body's way of fighting off illness. I haven't come across naturalpain relievers, homeopathy tends to treat causes, not the pain but I used chamomille for teething and it was pretty effective.

mum's the word said:
http://www.clovelly.org.uk/documents/calpol.html

Funnily enough I came across this page yesterday cos I'd read a post from someone who's Hv had advised calpol to 'test' if her baby was waking through the night through pain or not. I didn't say anything to the mum cos I didn't want to stress her out but it made me sooooo mad :oops: as calpol can CAUSE sleeplesness!
Check out the refrences at bottom of page- 'Alternatives to Calpol'.

Maybe me? :D
i'm not happy with this though. I only give it if i think she absolutely needs it.

LisaJ1986 said:
i'm not happy with this though. I only give it if i think she absolutely needs it.

Ooops, been spied! Felt like you'd prob heard enough of me banging on about CC so the last thing I wanted to do was go on about calpol! It just annoys me that doctors and HV's seem to think it's o.k to advise calpol for anything and everything, some mum's (not us of course!) would take this as carte blanche to fill their kids up on it every time they so much as whimper.
My dad has done himself damage from over-doing painkillers so it's a sore point for me, sorry if I seem OTT!

I only give calpol as a VERY last resort. In fact i have given it 3 times.... twice after his needles and once for teething as he was really distressed and just would not settle. Each time iv given him it though he DOES NOT SLEEP..... Everyone iv sppoken to said it should 'knock him out' but it doesn't. Im not overly keen on giving him it anyway though.

mum's the word said:
LisaJ1986 said:

Ooops, been spied! Felt like you'd prob heard enough of me banging on about CC so the last thing I wanted to do was go on about calpol! It just annoys me that doctors and HV's seem to think it's o.k to advise calpol for anything and everything, some mum's (not us of course!) would take this as carte blanche to fill their kids up on it every time they so much as whimper.
My dad has done himself damage from over-doing painkillers so it's a sore point for me, sorry if I seem OTT!

CC will be tested don't you worry. I didn't dive in there last night when she cried and within 5 mins she was asleep. She actually rolled on her belly around 2.30am and was out til 10 so it's helped her find a comfy sleeping position!

I also disagree with my HV advice so don't worry there! I'm not happy using it as a sleep aid either. And to be perfectly honest, she hates it!!! Always has. She gets more worked up whenever we try it, i just get it spat back in my face! And it's bloody sticky! Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back