Asher has LOST weight !! I'm sooo upset! Any help or ideas?

KJ

Reaction score
Hi all,

I haven't been able to get Asher weighed for the last 6 weeks due to starting back at work. But DH had the day off today so he took him instead.

Last time at 34weeks he was 18lb 3oz and now at 41weeks he's 17lb 14oz!!

He's been eating soooo well. 3 meals a day, big portions, loads of different meats and veg. Taking his milk well, etc, etc.
I was soo proud of how well he was eating and how well I was feeding and cooking for him.

Now I just feel really upset and deflated. I would have really thought he'd have put on weight in 6 weeks!

The only think is like Foxxi's LO, he's been having diarhhoea since sunday night and is off his food now and a bit grumpy. But that's only been for 3 days. DO you think that's why he's lost weight? Anyone else have a similar experience? DId they start putting weight on again?

Could it be becasue he's nearly mastered crawling and he's burning more calories?

K.xxx

Hi :wave:
I think it is both. When my LO had it for a week, she lost weight too even though she was still eating and drinking. She is also crawling and starting to walk too so I think the extra movement makes a difference. I guess if he is eating and drinking well and not sick, maybe see how much he weighs next time. I don't think a pound is so much at this age now compared to when they are smaller.
I know this sounds funny, but did he take Asher in the morning? My LO weighs less in the morning than after eating the whole day and they then actually weigh the food inside :)

Hi KJ,
What did the HV say when she weighed him and he had lost weight? If she wasnt concerned then it probably means that its just because he is more active etc :hug:

thanks for the replies guys. The HV told DH to take him to the GP. Since then he's seen the doctor twice, as his illness seems to be getting worse. They just tell me to weigh him in 2 weeks.

I'm so worried. I need my little man to start eating again soon. He wasn't big to start with.

:cry:

xx

Hi KJ,

I know you are really worried, but I honestly wouldn't be. Its only 5oz, not anything I would consider serious at his age like a couple of pounds, he is now big enough to be able to cope with a small weight loss.

I know its easy for me to say, but it has happened to me too and always conicided with DD being more active or having a bit of a sore tummy/lots of poos. I wouldn't be worried at her loosing anything under 8oz. I know its been 6 weeks, but I'll be he'll make that up and more within the next month.

My LO is 2 months older than yours and weighs pretty much the same give or take. She's a petite baby too.

Valentine Xxx

thanks Valentine,

it's reassuring to know that he'll come out the other side of this soon.

I really appreciate your replies.

K.xxx

Hi KJ,

Im in a similar situation to you at the moment. My boy is ten months now, and He hasnt put on any weight at all for about two months now. I have to take him to the doc every two weeks to follow up. He eats really well, and has three good home cooked meals a day, but I think he has been lacking in milk intake and this has been the problem. Im still breast feeding, and I think that its been a combination on my milk quality and ammount decreasing, and him not feeding so well any more. The doc has recommended that I give him more milk to see if that helps him put a bit of weight on!
I was really upset also. Especially because he has been eating so well. He is VERY active, so I think that all the crawling around definietly burns a few more calories!
Also, I think this is not an unusual pattern in breast fed babies. They put on a lot of weight in the beginning, and then in generally evens out.

Good luck! x

thanks Flower,

that's very reassuring. He has started eating a little better now but I've yet to weigh him again.

Will take him at the end of the week I think.

It's interesting what you said because since weaning him onto solids, he eats them really well, but doesn't drink much of his milk. So it could be the same thing as with your LO.

K.xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back