Article in Guardian on costs

star fish

Reaction score
Did anyone else read that article? My mum saved it and just gave it to me, it's facinating.

It's about how you can easily spend £10,000 in the first year of a childs life, but the woman who wrote the article managed to do it for £1,000.

At first I couldnt believe a child could cost that much, but having read it I realise all the hidden costs i had never considered, really scary. We certainly will be doing it on a budget, no way can i afford that much!

My neighbours just brought their baby home and i (very rudely) asked how much they paid for their pram (with carseat etc) and she said £700. I said "F^ck!" and she looked a bit shocked, but I realised I am going to have to start getting savy straight away!!

In all fairness I can believe it! There is no way we can afford anything near that! We have brought our pram second hand as it was like new condition and £400 cheaper than buying it new! I think we will also but looking at other items second hand, of course I would love to have everything new, but we just cant afford it x x

Some people spend rediculous money on prams, I know someone who spent £900 and the thing is - it wont even do baby untill they're out of prams they'll need to buy another, and I need to laugh coz they have no savings or anything kept by for their baby, with alot of 1st time moms its more about "being cool" rather than sensible. I also know people on benefits, unemployed ect, who still manage to get these very expensive buggys. Thats why I think its point less. I showed my OH's friend and his gf a pram I seen online for £700 I showed them the pic online and asked how much they think - they said no way it looks like more than £100 loool i was like...wrong its £700 they couldn't believe it.

i've went with a mid-range one, and i'm putting loads into baby's saving account. I think when it comes to your second you realise that things like buggy's/cots ect ect, babies only need them for what...2 years loooool and theres a whole lifetime ahead of them.

Its definately definately possible to spend a sensible amount - and if your desperate to flash the cash - put it into a wee account so that baby can spend it as they please when they are older- imagine buying a 700 quid pram then having no savings for university/house/driving lessons for the child, seems a bit pointless to me but hey ho.

We were looking at some of these prams (for £700) as we could in principle afford to get one, but I just couldn't stand to spend so much money on something that I don't think justifies the cost. In the end we went for a nice Gracco pram from babies R us for £186 and felt very happy with it.

I think a lot of first time parents like us get sucked into the 'more expensive is better' thing and end up spending huge amounts of money on getting everything 'top of the range' etc. I can understand how it happens but I do think that if you're just a little level headed you can spend much much less that £10,000 :)

Eek I don't think I want to see the article! My parents have offered to buy pram thank god, and think OH's parents will buy cot, or vice versa, but certainly wouldn't spend £700 on one, even if they can afford it. We definitely wouldn't be able to!

I'm trying to think of what's practical (although I have no baby experience) and what's not. Like a pram, cot, wardrobe, etc. We have got a 2 bed semi, so not loads of room, so I don't want loads of unneccesary stuff iykwim.

xx

We went for a graco one at around £200 too. We could have got one alot more expensive but the graco is exactly what we need so no point spending more, we had a graco with my 1st and didn't have 1 problem with it. The car seat was voted safest at the time too (not sure if it still is or not)

The costs can rack up indeed. My parents are giving us money towards the pram so I will be spending around £800 on the pram etc but I really like the pram and hoping it will last for the second child. I think the best advice is take things from friends if you are offered, esp for newborn. I got loads from a friend of mine and happy I dont have to spend that money

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back