ARGHHHH too many names*i want to no which ones you hate too*

bellybump

Reaction score
I know it's really early etc, but we were generally chatting about names etc, we seem to have more choices for a girl, but i'm not sure. Any boy has to have James as his middle name, family tradition etc, like Jerome (Romi)

what are your thoughts on these, please be as frank as possible and feel very VERY free to suggest new ones or alternative spellings etc

Tiegan Alani, Willow-Grace, Ryleigh Lorenne, Mikaiyla Lianne, Candice Louise, Bailey-Mae, Eloise, Aimee, Emma-Leigh, Sharlotte-Louise, Rhianna Maree, Acey, Alexa, Lexi, Lianndra, Lornah-Rose, Lani

Rylee, Tayler, Rease, Korbyn, Cobey, Tobey, Alfie, Leigh, Jayden, Krys, Alesio, Tailor (Tyler), Kai, Cabe, Cain.

Grrr stupid something ate my post, so I have to start over :wall:

Really like Willow Grace (without a hypen :p ), Eloise, Aimee, Alexa, Rease, Alfie and a few others also. Lots of possibles for you :)

However, you asked for honesty, so I have to admit to not really liking the unusual spellings for a lot of the names for a couple of reasons -

Unusual spellings of names will probably be spelt out continually as people are not familiar with them. I have an unusual surname and even after 37 years of spelling it to people, they still get it wrong and cannot quite work out the pronounciation. I prefer more traditional/usual spellings of first names for this reason. Keep having to correct people, or finding they are not quite sure how to pronounce it is a pain. Some might disagree, but from personal experience, it can get boring. It took me 25 years plus to embrace my surname fully and to use it all. Now I love it, but I do get fed up people are unable to spell it when its said to them.

Some of the names on your list would sound and read better to me like this -

Mikaiyla = Michaela (feminine of Michael)
Aimee = Amy
Emma-Leigh = Emily
Sharlotte = Charlotte (I'll never *hear* it with an S)
Lornah = Lorna
Rease = Rees/Rhys
Leigh = Lee (Leigh is the feminine spelling, meaning meadow)
Krys = Chris
Alesio = Alexio ? If I had to guess at pronouncing this for example I'd say it 'Alic-ee-oo' ( or Al-ece-e-o) and be unsure of the spelling unless told it.

and so on for a few of them.

However, that isn't to say they are awful, some are lovely, just that IMHO the more usual spellings work better for me.

Hope that helps :)

Removed personal information

Girls: Willow-Grace (although prefer it without the hyphen), Eloise, Aimee, Lexi

Boys: Korbyn, Tobey (I adore this name), Alfie

Last edited:
thats ace, thanks for your honestly, i want total honesty thats why i asked, to be honest, i think i WANT something different, i know that may sound a little weird and mean, but still, our kids are special and i want their names to reflect that too!

haha pmsl, i'll tell my Brother Jaymie-Leigh that he has a girls name teehee, we all have different spellings on our names, and my cousins do too. All the childrens names in the family seem to be diferent in some way.

Chel-C was something ive always had to cope with, but i love, it means im a one off lol. Shaun was the same, he alwasy gets sean, but we love it.

Alessio is Italian for Alex which we both liked but wanted to adapt a little, Shauns familiy has italian origin, so yeah Alesio it was.

Keep your comments coming though, Willow-Grace seems to be doing well lol, without the hyphen though

TBH I really don't like the spelling's either, it actually looks like they were written by somebody who can't spell and spelt them according to how they sound or something. I know you say it's a family tradition but it just doesn't work for me. Also I really don't like hyphanated names at all. Hope this doesn't offend, obviously everybodies taste is different and thank goodness for that, otherwise everybody would have the same names and that would be so boring.

I prefer your choice of boy's names, especially Alfie which is at the top of my list at the moment. I also like Jayden and Kai.

May I suggest Lana or Layla as a girls name? Just looking at your choices I thought they were something you might like.

thanks, i respect your honestly too, :hug: lana or Lani was one we mentioned about an hour ago too lol. it's weird one of us will walk through a room now and just randomly throw a name at the other person as they walk past lol.

my MIL suggested letting Romi choose :shock: not too sure about that :S

Aimee isn't an unusual spelling at all - my sister's name is spelt like that.

Out of those I only like Eloise and Aimee - the rest are far too diverse for my liking

And Lexi I would say could be a shortened version of Alexa/Alexis ;)

Not keen on any of the boys names sorry

bellybump said:
I know it's really early etc, but we were generally chatting about names etc, we seem to have more choices for a girl, but i'm not sure. Any boy has to have James as his middle name, family tradition etc, like Jerome (Romi)

what are your thoughts on these, please be as frank as possible and feel very VERY free to suggest new ones or alternative spellings etc

Tiegan Alani, Willow-Grace, Ryleigh Lorenne, Mikaiyla Lianne, Candice Louise, Bailey-Mae, Eloise, Aimee, Emma-Leigh, Sharlotte-Louise, Rhianna Maree, Acey, Alexa, Lexi, Lianndra, Lornah-Rose, Lani

Rylee, Tayler, Rease, Korbyn, Cobey, Tobey, Alfie, Leigh, Jayden, Krys, Alesio, Tailor (Tyler), Kai, Cabe, Cain.

For a girl I like Eloise (it's my middle name :D ), Willow Grace, Charlotte Louise(I prefer Charlotte spelt like this) and Alexa.

For a boy I like Cobey, Toby(spelt like this), Alfie, Jayden, Tyler and Kai.

I see you like unusual spellings. I'm not keen on unusual spellings because I think if I had a name with an unusual spelling I would get fed up with having to spell it all of the time.

teehee lol, im going to have to find some super reason to make you all see my way of thinking i think lol.

thanks for all the input you fab ladies are having :)

Willow-Grace is so pretty and unique, Bailey-Mae is loverrrly but kinda reminds me of fields as in haybails and May time of year, Eloise very cute! Aimee I dont know why but I much prefer this spelling of Aimee? Alexa, Lexi, Lani I like all of those!

Out of the boys I only really like Alfie sorry!

thats cool. thanks :)

i'm thinking i really like Willow-Grace right now, but yet cant imagine myself with a little girl named Willow :S weird huh!

i'm liking Eden, Scarlette, Ellie, Pepper (neighbours influence :oops:) Hayden (OH like Haighden but i dont) - maybe all your advice on normal spellings is rubbiong off after all lol. ummm.... Leigh-Anne, Leigh on its own,

pls add some more in here, ive given up hope lol

Anoher vote against daft spelling here. I'm totally with you on wanting something different, but you could do that with your name choice rather than the way it's presented. It works with Jerome :)

I ADORE Pepper for a girl. It sounds so feisty!

And I like Alessio for a boy.

Peppers cool! Why do Neighbours always steal good names I like Sky and Summer!

Boys names Ashton?

damn Nieghbours lol, im seriously considering Pepper :D teehee

know what, i HATE Jerome, and hate it with a pasion lol. ah wells, he's a Romi and i love it

Hello!

I feel like copying and pasting this - I use it so much lol...

My full name is Danielle and no-one calls me that, they call me Dani. I chose to spell it Dannii because it's unusual and like Sherlock said, "from experience" - I friggin' LOVE spelling it out lol

It makes me feel so unique saying to people "my name's Dannii, double 'N' double 'I' !!"

I personally like...
Girls
Tiegan Alani, Willow-Grace, Bailey-Mae, Eloise, Lexi

Boys
Rylee, Tayler, Alfie, Alesio, Tailor (Tyler)

They're the best of the bunch IMO. xxx

dannii87 said:
I feel like copying and pasting this - I use it so much lol...

My full name is Danielle and no-one calls me that, they call me Dani. I chose to spell it Dannii because it's unusual and like Sherlock said, "from experience" - I friggin' LOVE spelling it out lol

It makes me feel so unique saying to people "my name's Dannii, double 'N' double 'I' !!"

Hehe :lol: You and I see it in quite a similar way tbh, only you have a name you can shorten more easily than I do. The thing is, your given name is Danielle, which is spelt in the normal/traditional way. How you yourself have chosen to shorten it down to is your personal choice and you are happy with it :) Lots of people do this with their given names. But a pet form of a name isn't set in stone as a given name on a birth certificate/passport etc. I use the pet form of my first name as I loathe, loathe loathe the actual name itself. However, for banking, credit cards, driving licence, Government forms, phone conversations with official bods etc I *have* to list/give my full first name if required. The pet form is not acceptable.

I think its great to be a little bit different, but as others have said, you can get that well enough with a name that is spelt more traditionally still and has pet forms that can be spelt any number of ways.

To explain my POV in all this I've been stuck with a whole name that is a) beyond awful for a first name and b) a lovely surname no one seems capable to spell or pronounce even though its quite simple. Just Spanish is all. I see both sides of the coin :) I kept my surname when I married as I am happy with it but it pisses me off no end I can spell my name out 3 times to someone to write down yet when I receive the paperwork its still spelt wrong :wall: And if I have to use my given first name at all I usually end up cringing when I say it and sometimes even apologising or making a joke about it. Still, after 37 years :shock:

So, thanks to my father sticking me with my first name, I try to consider how a child growing up, going throught life might feel about their given name/s. Its not just for when they are young, but they have to grow up and into names. And what might seem like a good idea when baby is born isn't maybe so good 30 years on when grown up and introducing yourself to a new boss or your potential in laws. I've seen the reactions over the years and I find it a real sticking point that often people do judge on the basis of a name. Sad but true. Not everyone, but it does happen. Even to me, 37 years later.

Anyways, Bellybump has some lovely names on her list for sure :) I'm not having a go about those, as I have expressed my opinion already on the ones I like etc, so thats all good :) I just wanted to try to explain to you (and anyone else who is interested) the other side of the coin in a little more detail.

Thank goodness I can type at speed so this didn't take me too long to thump out :lol:

keep going haha, it's working, i looked over stuff and dont like it now :S haha

i guess with Romi, although it is weird and unusual, its short for something normal and as its only short he can spell it without a problem, maybe i gotta find another one the same

I also think the best idea would be to choose a name which is spelt correctly but can be shortened and spelt however you or s/he chooses. There were a few Victoria's in my year at school and they all went by Vicky, but with various spellings, Vicky, Vikki, Vicki etc. There was a girl at school called Vikkilee which I liked, the name not the girl, she was horrid :x

Agree 100% with Sherlock on this one.

However, in reply to Rebekah who says she always has to spell her name, I'm Rebecca and I always have to spell mine too. Even on this forum I get "Rebbecca" or "Rebbeca" a lot of the time and it drives me up the wall.

But I would definitely stick to traditional spellings. Maybe that's just me though?

I like Aimee - however, although it has been adapted to be pronounced Amy, originally Aimee was a different name to Amy and pronounced Aim-ay if you get what I mean.
I really like one of the other girls names on your list as it is my DD's name, but I can't give that away or I'll have to kill you ;) LOL!
Can't help on boys names, having enough trouble myself :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back