Are charity shops becoming expensive!!!

lulu

Reaction score
I walked past Oxfam today and saw a lovely retro green bowl in the window. I went on to where I was going and on the way back I walked past again.
It was still there but I couldn't see the price on it, strange cause almost every thing else was visibly priced!, so, I went in and asked how much it was, the women replied 'a penny off £50.' I thought she was joking at first, but no, she was infact being serious. She said it was because it was 'Art Nouveau'. I was disgusted. Someone had generously given that to the charity and they had priced it like that.

The same Oxfam has recently put up a 'Retro' clothes rail and its full of retro stuff, that has obviously come for older ladies wardrobe collections, and they have priced all the stuff ridiculously high!!!

Do you think charity shops are just getting expensive? what happened to 20 and 50p!!! :evil: :x

i think that prices have gone up in charity shops and some are justifiable but i also think some are just ruddy stupid, i was a manager of a charity shop for 4 yrs and put a good price on things that were worth it but other things were still a big bargain.

I have shopped in charity shops for over 10 years and I've always considered Oxfam expensive! But £50 :shock: Most others I find are really good value :)

Misslarue said:
I have shopped in charity shops for over 10 years and I've always considered Oxfam expensive! But £50 :shock: Most others I find are really good value :)

Same here :)

I think most charity shops have a small collection of stuff that's designer/antique and commands a higher price. My friend manages Cancer Research and as a valuer come in for some stuff. If they let it go for a song it'd only be pounced on by some David Dickenson type dealer. Better a charity gets the moolah.

That said I agree Oxfam can occasionally be a bit more. They seem to get the best donations too though in my experience.

the days of the 20p charity shop have been over for some time. I don't mind paying £3 for a high end skirt, but I resent being charged the same for a Primark T-shirt that was probably cheaper new :?

totally agree with this - my mum and i were discussing this a few weeks ago funnily enough!

we had went into the british heart foundation and my mum seen a decorative bowl ornament type thingy, no price either, the women checked it and it was £35 :shock: you could have got one that looked the same for less than a fiver :doh:

I was thinking about this yesterday actually, my Mum took a few of my brothers old clothes into the charity shop the other day and i'm not quite sure why but a couple of items they wouldn't take and I thought thats terrible, a charity shop being fussy :x

our oxfarm is the cheapest of charity shops in our town.. however the british heart foundation is the most expensive.. i went in last week and a flowery knee lenght stretch cotton summer skirt.. was £3.99 for a2nd hand skirt! shocking!!!

I don't think Spaniards get the idea of charity shops... they've just opened one in town and its quite expensive for what it is :think: They don't understand 2nd hand ebay items being cheaper than new either :roll:

lisa&alex said:
our oxfarm is the cheapest of charity shops in our town.. however the british heart foundation is the most expensive.. i went in last week and a flowery knee lenght stretch cotton summer skirt.. was £3.99 for a2nd hand skirt! shocking!!!

God yeah, I'd forgotten about BHF, they're a rip-off! I don't mind paying a little extra if the shop is really nicely maintained, but BHF throw everything out so it's packed, disorganised and smells a bit. And then they ask £5 for Dotty P skirt from 3 years ago. The cheek!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back