• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anyone know anything about Wills?

Jen & Her Men

Reaction score
Can anyone help me?

My dad past away last October - long story but hadnt seen him for 10 years or so and it came as a bit of a shock - especially as he left me some money in his Will.
My brother and step brother are executors of the Will but since they got in touch with me to tell me I was in the Will, I havent heard of them and cant get hold of either of them.
I have been in contact with the solicitor and apparently grant of probate was achieved on 19th Dec last year. She said the money had to be held for 6 months before they could release it.
So that 6 months is nearly up and i havent heard anything else from the solicitor and cant get hold of my brothers. I have no idea what the process is supposed to be from here on in and whether any problems can occur in this time which would mean there would either be a serious delay or that something like the money isnt actually there or something!Has anyone had any experience of this or is anyone a solicitor and can fill me in on what happens next and whether there are any pitfalls I should know about because obviously DH and I have made plans with what we are going to do with the cash (paying debts off etc) and I wanted to get a better idea of timescales.
I did call the solicitor today but she fobbed me off with "i should be able to give you more news in the next 3 weeks or so". So now im thinking that there may be a problem because i dont understand what "news" there could be other than that they are now able to give me my inheritance.
Sorry to ramble but Im so confused about all of this and its been a very weird and emotional time for me as I cant believe my dad left me anything in his Will after how he treated me as a child so I almost think it could be some sort of cruel joke and im not really getting anything! :oops:

I'd contact the solicitor again, have you actually got a copy of the will?, if not ask for one, or contact the probate office as they may be able to help you.
good luck

no only my letter from the solicitor stating what i have been bequeathed...

I thought you had to be an executor to get a copy of the Will?

:think:

God this is all sooo complicated!!! :wall:

mmm... not sure, but don't most sols offer a free chat type session - might be worth finding out from a different sols :think:

sorry, not been much help

Yeh id ring ur sols hun, ask them whats going on and to explain the process? :hug: :)

happy_chick said:
Yeh id ring ur sols hun, ask them whats going on and to explain the process? :hug: :)

Yeah guess im going to have to...I just dont want to come across like a money grabber IYKWIM.... I didnt see my dad for years (through no fault of my own as i said before) so I dont want them to think badly of me...I know i shouldnt care but i do.. :oops:

contact the probate office

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/info ... stries.htm

for a small fee (5 quid i think), you can get a copy of the probate order and a copy of the will. I would definatly contact the solicitor again, if you get no joy in ringing then try writing or emailing them and ask them exactly what is going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back