anyone know anything about spyware virus on laptop?

Beatlesfan

Reaction score
Says we have a trojan virus. We have AVG virus check etc and have followed instructions. But everytime we start laptop up it comes up on the screen with a blue and yellow banner saying install anti-virus or spyware software on laptop.

I noticed when I restarted laptop last night when it happened a mysterious "new program" appeared in the list which just said anti-virus software but I deleted it as I had not agreed to install anything....

any ideas anyone??

Also, not sure what spyware means.... can anyone help? :think: Thanks.

I use a program called Spybot Search and Destroy to find and eliminate the spyware on our computers. You can download it free from here.

However if you have a trojan, then a spyware eradicator won't help specifically as a trojan is a virus. When you've followed the instructions on the AVG control panel, is it getting you to heal the trojan? Is the trojan held in your virus vault? If you do a scan straight after you've followed the instructions does it still show a virus in your system?

This blue and yellow banner that comes up when you turn on the computer, is it a popup? Does it happen whether you are connected to the internet or not? You may need to have a look in control panel - add/remove programs to see whether this mysterious anti-virus software is in your program list there.

On a final note you should operate anti-virus, anti-spyware and a firewall on your computer if you connect to the internet on it. You have already mentioned you have AVG which is a good free anti-virus, definitely get yourself the Spybot search and destroy from the link above and I assume you have your Windows firewall turned on?

Some trojans are stubborn and need more actions to eradicate them from your system. If the AVG keeping showing the same trojan make a note of the virus name and google it. This will give you further instructions on how to get rid of it.

Hope that helps :D

oh god i had a trojan on my pc and old laptop- i think its a worm? if i remember rightly!
i used so many spyware programmes and virus ones too and could never et rid of it-
i had to buy a new laptop in the end because the trojan kept adding lots of stuff and making it worse
I know nothing about that sort of thing but my uncle works in IT soloutions and he couldnt sort it out!

Most are curable though and if the worst comes to the worst you can just wipe the hard drive and reinstall the operating system and all drivers. I certainly can't imagine a situation where you'd have to buy a new laptop - seems like a bit of a waste to me. Even if the virus corrupts the hard drive and is non-recoverable (which is probably the worst case scenario) you can always buy a new HD which is much cheaper than replacing the whole laptop.

Trojans are malware which pretend to be legitimate programs (often screensavers) then when they have access to your system they often run scripts or other programs in the background without the user's knowledge. This means they can open up your computer in a number of ways i.e. remote access or destruction of data among other things.

Annoyingly some trojans edit your registry which means that they often reinstall themselves upon startup even though they've been disabled or uninstalled by the user. This makes them slightly more tricky to remove but not impossible. The important thing is that AVG has drawn your attention to it. By rights it should be able to heal the trojan and with the Spybot Search and Destroy program which will notify you every time a program attempts to change an entry to the registry, it should make it near impossible for it to reinstall itself.

well eventually the virus made my laptop go into safe mode and it wouldn't come out- couldnt be wiped and was pretty much f'd no one could do anything with it i just bought a new one ..i needed one anyway..!! My screen was busted.

Thanks Fran23 for your advice - I will give it a go tonight. I am not sure if the message is a pop up. Yes it is there whether I am on the net or not...

I'll let you know how I go..

Thanks.

I hate trojans!!!! grrrr Sometimes AVG doesnt always pick them up either!! I agree with Mildly spybot is the best one to use xx

Thanks Fran :wave:

Laptop is well again after following your advice. :cheer: :cheer:
Thanks so much, we were expecting to pay lots for a new laptop/for repairs.
x x

thanks hun glad your laptop is better :D but i think it was mildly who advised you hun- i actually didn't offer any advice :oops:
:rotfl:

OOPS! :doh:

Sorry Mildly - apologies, it is you I should be thanking! Thank you so much. (+ see above :D )

Sorry Fran_23 - I have such a Mummy brain these days! Honestly it's any wonder I can cope with a baby!

x x x

i gave up trying to get rid of a nasty one i have had on my laptop today, and ended up reinstalling windows. I tried running every thing i could think of, in normal windows and safe mode. It keps saying it had got rid of it, but then it would pop back up somewhere else :wall:

Still - nice 'clean' laptop again! won't take me long to fill it full of rubbish again! Look how clean my desktop is!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Untitled.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back