Anyone here with IBS or Coelic disease?

HollyHobby

Reaction score
In an attempt to diagnose myself (bearing in mind i was told years ago after an op my bowels were impacted, years of being known for my passing of frequent wind! and bloating after so much as sniffing bread from a bakery shop!) i wonder if I do indeed have either ibs or coelics.

Last month I got into bread heavily from being on a high protein lower carb diet. One day I had 8 slices, most days 4 and kept it up till now pretty much, including cornflakes twice a day.

I didnt go for a week and in that week I started getting terrible pains down from under my left rib right the way through my colon, and would/do get visable bubbling in my lower colon just before i pass the windies, left side just above public bone, which is where it hurts alot if I have to strain and where the pain is kind of constant.

I'm also experienceing burning pain down my left side so I am going to go wheat free and see if it goes.

Does this ring familiar with anyone? And how did you get diagnosed?

Doctors seem to think it's my kidneys but I'm not so sure myself. :think:

i did get the awfullist sharp pain in the lower colon area when i strained the other day, so I am thinking the doctors dignoses is wrong, it also slightly goes off after i pass the ole' botty burps.

Just tied up in knots wanting to know what's going on with me since I'm having a bad start o this pregnancy. xxx

hmm I'mnot sure.My experience was when my gluton allergy was bad (when I was little) I would have very bad diarrhea and stomach cramps. I have never been diagnosed but believe I have a mild form of IBS, and if I eat too much food containing gluton now I can still get these cramps. However early pregnancy really can affect your digestive system, the hormones going round your body cause your digestive system to slow down and can make you constipated and cause painful gas.

I don't think going wheat free will cause any further problems and if you do have IBS might help but you will eed extra fibre in pregnancy just to help you so make sure you are gettig plenty of roughage.

i have IBS bad and have been terrible for the last month and it is really getting me down but mine is bad diarrea after i have eaten and bad wind i only have pain just before i have to rush to the toilet :oops: i havent had any tests but have had symptoms on and off for the past 11 years that i have attended the doctors for regularly :hug:

Thanks ladies, Hmmm i don't get diahoreah, just either constipation, or not even constipation just i might not go everyday, and often have ''hedgehogs''.

I didn't eat much yesterday and last night was much better pain wise.
Although woke up and within 5 mins pain is there again, it's constant.

2 major things happened between 13th - 19th July - i never went to the loo and I made a baby, but I can't see a doctor again till tuesday so I am seeing a nurse shortly.
I'm really beginning to get peed off with all this.

Anyone had diverticulosis then?
I think this is a painful condition, without paracetamol the pain is radiating, it feels like I have poison in my veins only on the left hand side of my body, but the doctors are dithering on and have done for over a week, so i feel it's left to me to diagnose and fix this problem.

Hiya,

I have suffered form chronic IBS for many years.

It is hard to say what you are suffering from as many people have different symptoms. I know this because I used to attend a self help group where everyone had different troubles.

The best thing to do is see your GP again. If they are no good then ask to see someone that actually recognises IBS. It has been my experience that most GP's tend to say that you have IBS if they don't know what the problem is and they also relate IBS to stress. There are several reasons why IBS can be triggered.

You should insist on further investigations to elliminate other causes. This will not happen just now because you are pregnant but make sure you don't take no for an answer.

During my pregnancy, my IBS almost disapeared and still hasn't been too bad.

The book I found most helpful was an idiots guide to IBS and there is a website called Gut reaction or something. I'll try to find it for you.

Hope I have helped. xxx

yes i hav both of those, my main symptoms are really really painful bloating and feeling dreadfully sick when i eat too much wheat. a friend of mine has it worse than me and actually throws up blood :shock: she eats more wheat than me tho she LOVES bread! bit of blood wont stop her :lol:

Hiya hun,

I think you need to get a proper diagnosis. I suffer from crohns disease (not IBS) and many people i know with this condition were fobbed of with IBS which can result in serious problems including surgery (surgery wont ever happen with IBS as its still a healthy bowel.. even if it doesnt seem like it).

I dont want to scare you but i would definately push for further tests if things dont improve. Ask for a blood test to check your inflammatory markers (ESR and CRP) if these are both elevated there could be a problem. Saying that, they can rise during pregnancy anyway.

Let us know how you get on,

Claire x

I have suffered with IBS since I was very young!

The pain you are having on your left hand side is one of the symptoms I get. I was once told it is your colon going into spasm, the only way I can get rid of it, is to lie on my side and try to release the trapped wind - this has been much much worse during my 2nd Tri!! I used to get this dreadfully in my teens, to the point the pain would make me physically sick!

For 3 years of my life I lived on laxatives, as couldnt go to the toilet without them, then one day it all changed, and now I get severe food intolarances, where I need to run to the toilet within 30 mins with chronic upset stomach and pain so intense that it nearly make me pass out, once my system is cleared out Im fine again!

Other symptoms are chronic wind, and bloating even if I eat a small meal (especially bread, pasta etc).

I also had some food intolarance tests carried out and Im supposed to be intolerant to, the "Nightshade" family - which includes Potatoes, Aubergine, peppers, Onions, Tomatoes etc...and to be honest although I still eat them they definitely make me more windy :oops:

Generally the only way they can rule out IBS, over the other more serious bowel conditions is to do an array of tests usually involving cameras into your stomach and into your bowel.

Hope that helps!!

Thanks for your replies ladies,and thanks for that link nie xx

ellie you mentioned ******* colon now that rings a bell with me for some reason from years back but whether it was said by a doctor i cant remember but that rings bells.

its a hard one just to say yes that ibs or thats whatever as a lot of the symptoms are the same.
normally i wouldnt get this inflamed pain, i'd get the rare good bm's, but back mucis (lovely i know!) constipation and straining, piles now and then, never would go everyday, say once every 3 days average.
i know for a fact bread and potatos are my enemies - laxatives have no effect on me, high fibre has no effect on me, infact my mum made me a bran loaf and that crippled me. wind alot but no burbing. (its a good job my hubby loves me cos no one else would :lol: )

the time i spent having alot of olive oil really helped, i was actually going with ease and more often. Since i wrote this opening post i did cut out bread and cornflakes and the pain has died down quite a lot but still i've got this lower persistent niggle that wont go away, and where that niggle is i cant say exactly but it is in my lower colon area, just above my groin and radiates down into it somewhat.

anyway will check out that gut website and just see hwo i get on.

many thanks xxxxxxxxxxxx :hug:

where I need to run to the toilet within 30 mins with chronic upset stomach and pain so intense that it nearly make me pass out, once my system is cleared out Im fine again!

ellie i've had that. where you're sat sweating head on wall and feeling really ill holding your stomach then when you've been youre ok just as quick again as if nothing happened.

i have been to the doctors as mine has been bad for over a month now and have just been given another course of tablets

HollyHobby said:
where I need to run to the toilet within 30 mins with chronic upset stomach and pain so intense that it nearly make me pass out, once my system is cleared out Im fine again!

ellie i've had that. where you're sat sweating head on wall and feeling really ill holding your stomach then when you've been youre ok just as quick again as if nothing happened.

Thats the one...........really really unpleasant, although sometimes I have had it for 50 mins or more and then had to lie down for an hour!! I can only pin point mine to ice cream and dairy, but not all ice cream and doesnt happen everytime I eat it :think:

I used to get it at least twice a month, but its actually a lot better since I have been pregnant (now Im more constipated again :D )

If you have the bottom mucus (lovely I know), then its definitely sounding like a bad case of IBS........and of course the more stressed you get the worse its likely to get!

Hollyhobby i have the same symptoms as you. I have noticed it getting worse over the years and mentioned it to my mum. She said there was a history of it in our family (theres a history of bloody everything in OUR family! :shock: ) I noticed when i ate spicy food and bread i had really really bad wind. I lie in bed at night trying to keep it in :oops: I went to the docs the other day and explained the symptoms and said that i think i have IBS. He has arranged for me to have some blood tests on Sept 23rd. My stomach feels bloated all the time, i get trapped wind bursting in my stomach or trapped and not bursting causing excruciating pain. Over the last few days i have started a diet and i have been virtually living on muesli/bran, traded bread for wholemeal pitta bread, chicken and brown rice and its virtually gone. This of course means something is wrong when i eat other foods. I have bought some ex-lax and taken two but they dont seem to be having any effect :doh: I suppose the doc will diagnose me but i know how you feel and its not nice :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back