Anyone else really disliking their job? Rant - sorry!

Shinymac

Reaction score
Because I really really am at the moment.
Yes, I get to sit in a chair all day, and it's convenient as it's 5 minutes from my house, so I have no commute to worry about, plus it is 5 minutes from my daughters' school, so if I'm needed I'm on the doorstep, however, I work for my local authority in their call centre, and I take nothing but abuse off people over the phone all day. It is beginning to get a bit tiring now, and it's dragging me down and sometimes I feel like crying when people blame me for dog fouling in the street, or their bins not being emptied, or even about their student loans etc. I've just had enough and don't feel we're fully supported by a useless management team who couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery and do not communicate with each other very well or us.

I've only been here 4 months, so I've always been pregnant whilst doing this job, and I often wonder if it's that that is making my patience a lot thinner than usual, or if I would feel like this anyway.

Please tell me I'm not alone in feeling like this! I can't wait for maternity leave!

No you aren't alone hun!
I am also in an office job but half of the job used to be quite physical due to taking deliveries of quite heavy boxes. Obviously as soon as I found out about bubba I stopped. But my boss is making it hard for me making out I'm lazy because they aren't being moved (he does know I'm pregnant and has done since I was 6 weeks!) And he actually told me to move one the other day but I refused, and when a guy did move it he even had trouble it was so heavy! Bloody men! worse thing is his wife is on baby number 6 so he does understand the rules! :evil: :evil:
I'm sure it will get better for you as you say some of it maybe hormones but as you say:
Roll on maternity leave!!!!! :lol: :D

Goodness me, that's really unfair of him to expect you to move them! Glad you stood your ground!
After I posted this, I got called in for a review, and it was all so positive and good. Gave me a bit of a boost. Not sure how long it will last, but in the meantime, it does make it better when you get recognition for your hard work.
Hope yours gets easier for you! :hug:

I think listening to other people moan and whinge can be pretty tough - it's a reminder for all of us who telephone call centres and get annoyed with the people that we really shouldn't have.

I really enjoy my job but I have face to face contact with adolescents in a mental health unit so it's difficult to compare I think.

It's good to let it out though.

:evil: Grrrr to your job!

Yeah, I hate mine with a passion at the moment, so I understand. I don't work in a call centre or have an office job, but I teach at secondary school. The kids in one of my 4th form classes have really taken the joy out of teaching. What's worse is that I've been telling the management team about this class since the 4th week of lessons and not much has been done to help me out, even after I told them I'm pregnant (and told them about my previous pregnancy ending in miscarriage) :wall: Finally, after 4 months of "abuse" from the kids, I've been deemed unfit to work by a company nurse. She said my work took the easy way out by sending me home one day when I sat down crying after speaking with the coordinator of that particular 4th form. They didn't want to deal with a conflict, so sending me home was too easy. I'm now home until 5 March at the earliest.

So, yeah, I totally understand where you're coming from. Why can't employers protect their employees from such abuse?

Hi, can i join in this rant please??

I have a 2 year old so only work 3 evenings a week in a call centre for a utilities company...i would of thought it would be ok as its only 12 hours a week!!! BUT i am really struggling as by 5pm when i start i am feeling very tired after a day with my son...also i have SPD so sitting in 1 place for 4 hours is starting to really hurt, and i have got what we think is Carpel Tunnel in my left hand (i am left handed) which is making me cry as i am always in pain.
I think my work should of done a desk assesment on me to see if i need wrist rest etc...but nothing has been done and i havent even been given any info about maternity leave etc...(which i was promised 3 wks ago).
My team leader is giving me a hard time at the moment saying i am not getting good enough stats on my calls so am being watched all the time and it is stressing me out :( :( :(

I am 22 wks and they have known i was PG since 6 wks, a few weeks ago i called in sick and the absence line didnt put it down as PG related even though i had said it was and i got really told off for being off ill????? is this right????

Sorry to go on, feeling sooooo p***** off about it roll on end of march when i can go on Maternity leave!!!
Big :hug: :hug: to all who are having a rough ride.

xx tigger xx

Aww Tigger, that sounds awful!

As much as I don't wish this on anyone, it is a relief to know it's not just me who was having a tough time at work, but I do hope things get better for you all.

Not long to go, and we'll all be off with our beautiful babies! I remember last time I went on maternity leave, and when I went back to work, everything seemed so unimportant compared to my babies!

:hug: Hugs for us all! x

Sorry to hear about your crappy employers. It's sad when we don't get the support we deserve at work, especially when the government claim to be promoting mothers returning to work etc. One thing that annoyed me was when i looked into maternity leave the pay i get is good for the first 4 months but then drops down to SMP which is not enough to survive on when you have a big mortgage. Other government guidance (don't quote me) suggests that it is beneficial to breastfeed up unitl 6 months of age. But with current maternity packages many mothers probably can't afford to stay at home that long!

Sorry, got a bit off track there :lol:

:hug: to everyone finding work hard at the moment and ROLL ON MATERNITY LEAVE!

I'm glad I'm not the only one too! As bad as it sounds! :lol: I don't think the hormones help with me as everything always seems worse than what it is! (Like on Sat when I cried because my Wii remote died! :lol: :lol: )
I think there definitly should be more done for us though! Noone is trained to do my job at the mo and they haven't even asked me about my maternity so I'll be laughing if they don't do anything in time because I certainly won't be giving borth under my desk! :rotfl:

meandthebump said:
One thing that annoyed me was when i looked into maternity leave the pay i get is good for the first 4 months but then drops down to SMP which is not enough to survive on when you have a big mortgage. Other government guidance (don't quote me) suggests that it is beneficial to breastfeed up unitl 6 months of age. But with current maternity packages many mothers probably can't afford to stay at home that long!

I do totally agree with you, but your maternity package is actually quite generous. My previous workplace with my last pregnancy and my new workplace with this pregnancy, only offer SMP from day one of maternity leave.

OH and I had to totally cut back AND take a mortgage break to allow me to stay off work for a year with my daughter which allowed me to breastfeed for one year.

O/T (and I know you said not to quote you!) but current World Health Organisation (WHO) guidance suggests breastfeeding for two years! Six months is brilliant and any longer is just amazing - babies still get lots and lots of benefits from breastfeeding past six months too.

Valentine Xxx

hi again, have just got back from doctors as my hand is sooo bad thought i would see what they thought...Doc has told me to rest hand and keep it strapped (this is not easy with a toddler at home) lol, she has also signed me off for 2 weeks until my next midwife appt!!!

I have to say i am quite releaved...

hope you are all ok :hug: :hug:

xx tigger xx

tigger said:
hi again, have just got back from doctors as my hand is sooo bad thought i would see what they thought...Doc has told me to rest hand and keep it strapped (this is not easy with a toddler at home) lol, she has also signed me off for 2 weeks until my next midwife appt!!!

I have to say i am quite releaved...

hope you are all ok :hug: :hug:

xx tigger xx

Thats good that you get some time off work. Hope you get a chance to rest your hand a bit. Enjoy your time off :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back