Anyone do student nursing course?

lozzi

Reaction score
Just being nosey really... How many hours a week is it for study(at uni) and placements?

Is it do-able to work p/t ALONGSIDE the course?

hi lozzi :hug:

i'm a student nurse, on a year out just now.

i'm usually in uni 3/4 days a week for 4 hours each day.

placements are different lengths, but work out around three 12 hour shifts a week - for however many weeks.

i had a part time job during my first year and it was do-able. worked in a nursing home - 2 x 12 hour shifts at the weekend - i defo couldn't manage it with a baby though. i probably won't work when i go back to uni in september because of the little man.

BUT - you get your bursary which is just over £500 a month, and i think you get extra if you have children, for childcare etc.

hope that helps, anything else just ask :D it's a fab course btw, i can't wait to get back :D

xxxx

sarafet said:
hi lozzi :hug:

i'm a student nurse, on a year out just now.

i'm usually in uni 3/4 days a week for 4 hours each day.

placements are different lengths, but work out around three 12 hour shifts a week - for however many weeks.

i had a part time job during my first year and it was do-able. worked in a nursing home - 2 x 12 hour shifts at the weekend - i defo couldn't manage it with a baby though. i probably won't work when i go back to uni in september because of the little man.

BUT - you get your bursary which is just over £500 a month, and i think you get extra if you have children, for childcare etc.

hope that helps, anything else just ask :D it's a fab course btw, i can't wait to get back :D

xxxx

oooo hadnt thought anything about bursarys!

Is the bursary for the length of the course?

lozzi being single and with bebe,, you will get near on 700 a month plus child tax credits.. do you need to work :rotfl: (maybe even more, i got this 3 years ago)

i did 3 years as student nurse quiting just before final exams coz i was too pregnant to carry on.

lectures arent complusary.. at southampton they put lectures notes onto the uni net so you could down load and read at home. during the first week our lecture hall was packed with 900 student nurses and midwifes.. by end of week only 300 turned up to them hahaha

placements are obviously complusary but you can do a maximum of 8 hours a day on 1 st year so your looking about 4.5 days a week.. so you could possibly do some part work. most people put their names down to do bank work and then u get some more experience too coz come the end of the 3 years its freaky to think your "let loose on the ward"

2nd and 3rd years you can do 12 hour shifts and get it done in 3 days :D

the most time comsuming thing is the essays.. they are like 16 pages long each time and soo boring to write as you have to reference every thing zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz one reason i didnt finish i cant be bothered to do the dissatation :rotfl:

hope that helps... obviously every uni going to be a bit different... nursing too much bloody paper work these days and no care work.. i wud rather be a HCA :cheer:

also to add your best off doing diploma and upgrading to degree so you get standard bursary, the degree is means tested and always works out worse.

yes bursary is for the whole 3 years :)

and like paradyso said - in your 3rd year you are usually offered the option to do the degree which is a bit extra work, but sounds as though it will be well worth it. promotions will be nightmarish otherwise from what i heard :doh:

our lecture notes are on the uni site too - which means that you can usually skip them too :shhh: :rotfl:

Didnt realise you get money! lol

Oh.. and to be more specific... its Midwifery im wanting to do :)

i think a lot of the unis are using blackboard now, it's really fab :D

lozzi - midwifery is abit harder to get into because there are a lot fewer places, best of luck though :cheer: :hug:

i know that if you do your 3 years nursing, they used to offer a shortened midwifery course at the end - like a year and a half, not sure though :think: i'd love to do it eventually too though :D

What qualifications do you need to do it though, i dont have maths and know i couldnt pass the gcse as i had serious problems with it at school and havent got any better.

you can do a years access course if your a mature student :cheer:

paradysso said:
you can do a years access course if your a mature student :cheer:

That is my plan next year. I WAS going to start it this year however lil bubs happened so plans are on hold.

I am planning to get into midwifery as well but the uni i'll be (hopefully) going to only offers 16 places each year so I'll have to work my butt off on the access course!

i remmeber when i applied to uni for nursing my cousin also applied, shes a straight A student in her GCSE and A Levels and she was rejected, my grades are maily C's but I have 4 years expereince in different care settings and so i would highly recomend getting some experience maybe join a HCA agency then you will get a feel of different care settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back